Close

Default side view mirror 84 LX convertible

The side view on the driver side started becoming shaky when I drive. I have to keep adjusting it and the view is hard to see because it shakes.

I checked LMR and they dont offer new repros for the 84 vert.

Is their something internal that can be tightened to stiffen the adjustment? I'd rather not replace because I'd have to match the paint just for one mirror.

Unfortunately there are no current reproductions of the 79-86 mirrors. There is also no easy way to get rid of the wobble. Essentially the cables have stretched and/or the mount on the backside of the mirror is broken and that allows the mirror to move around.

A good used one is generally the only real option, but finding a good one can be difficult. As for matching your paint, that is not needed. You can remove the seal on the pillar side of the mirror. There will be two Phillips head screws, remove those, then wiggle the mirror and you can remove it from the plastic housing. Do the same with the replacement mirror and swap the good mirror into your current housing and reinstall. No painting needed.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I would have to match paint because my car was painted 2 summers back including all black trim. I think it was SEM black satin but not 100% sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I would have to match paint because my car was painted 2 summers back including all black trim. I think it was SEM black satin but not 100% sure.
    Did you not read the second paragraph? Unless you just don't want to swap the outer housing, there is no need to match the paint unless your mirror is currently in bad shape and needs to be repainted anyway.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Did you not read the second paragraph? Unless you just don't want to swap the outer housing, there is no need to match the paint unless your mirror is currently in bad shape and needs to be repainted anyway.
    Gotcha, didnt notice.

I feel less than enthusiastic to buy a used one that could be as bad or worse than mine. I cant believe nobody at least has a hardware kit for this.

Mine was the same way and as i have more time than money i was able to fix mine fortunately. What happened was the cable mounts had started to split apart and was allowing the cable housing to loosen up and slide around. Think about a bicycle brake cable. If the cable cover is not tight in the housing there will be slack and that's what causes the mirror to jump around. All i did was gently recrimp the cable housing holder.
    1984 convertible 5.0 auto.

Quote Originally Posted by rich75043 View Post
    Mine was the same way and as i have more time than money i was able to fix mine fortunately. What happened was the cable mounts had started to split apart and was allowing the cable housing to loosen up and slide around. Think about a bicycle brake cable. If the cable cover is not tight in the housing there will be slack and that's what causes the mirror to jump around. All i did was gently recrimp the cable housing holder.
    How easy is it to disassemble to get at the cable?