Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pace Car Build

Quote Originally Posted by MNbuckeye View Post
    My understanding is that the 79 and 80 fuel tanks are different size than a 81 or onward and won't fit. Or can I just throw a tank from 82 with a return line and call it a day?
    The 79-81 tank is the 12 gallon tank and the 82-93 is the 15 gallon tank (Yes each tank is actually more like 12.5 and 15.5 gallons or so, but you get the idea). The straps changed with the 82 tank and require modification on the 79-81 models when attempting the swap. As for just swapping tanks, some have essentially bolted in with few modifications, others have had to massage the spare tire well with a BFH for clearance. Seems to just depend on the car. All require longer bolts for the original straps to work. You will also need to make some modifications to the fuel lines and likely your sending unit wiring since that is different. The filler neck is also different, but not 100% on if you HAVE to swap it out or not. I will probably make the swap on my 79 PC when I swap the new motor into it at some point, but till then I am not sure. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Progress.
    - removed everything
    - installed some Mat66 sound deadening on the fire wall and reinstall the original rub backed insulation
    - change the pedal assembly from auto to clutch with MM clutch quadrant and MM manual brake setup
    - Clean the massive about of mouse poop out of the entire HVAC assembly and replace the heater core
    - Patched up the floor pan rust holes.
    - installed manual tunnel hump
    - New high volume oil pump engine
    - Canton 7 qt road race oil pan
    - The IRS is in and going to start mounting the rear brackets
    Name:  IMG_0220[4262].jpg
Views: 248
Size:  381.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0221[4263].jpg
Views: 228
Size:  350.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0247[4264].jpg
Views: 247
Size:  313.9 KB

Very cool build. I haven't been on here in ages but I have a line on a pace car myself I hope to begin building soon and while researching some stuff I came across this forum. It's been a while!
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Update and a question
    Not much happened this week. I am waiting on my k-member from Maximum motorsports. Delayed due to covid shutting the powder coater down. Also, had to order some fasteners for the rear brackets for the IRS. I managed to get a few things done. Main thing was start running wires for Holley sniper system. I mounted the ignition box and coil on the drivers side and the main hardness with run on the passengers side.

Question: I have to find the 12v switched ignition wire to run the EFI system and ignition. This is so the system doesn't loose power when I hit the starter. From what I can tell it is a Red- blue lined wire that goes to the stock ignition box. Is that correct? I am not an expert and reading wire diagrams.

I got the car all leveled and ready for the K-member install hopefully it is hear by the weekend.
    Name:  IMG_0254.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  307.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0255.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  299.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_0257.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  293.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0256.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  330.0 KB

I ran a stock 85 svo tank in my 79 when I did the svo engine swap and other than longer stove bolts for the straps it went right in without much fuss. I even ran the external svo fuel pump on my stock 79 tank for a while but it didnt work too well for higher boost pressure.

I never figured out the crank power for the megasquirt system I ran so I removed the cigarette lighter and installed a starter button in its place. I was only like 17 when I did that setup so I didnt really know exactly what I was doing, if you find ecm power under crank let me know so I can use the same wire for the new build.
    1979 Ford Mustang Pace Car
    4.6 2V conversion underway!!

Your trans shifter hole looks way different than mine does, mine is just a hole that runs the same as the trans hump and my car was a factory 4 speed and I have ran a t5 without any fitment issues, I guess we will see when the tr3650 is going in.

LMR.Com sells a auto to manual conversion. The auto floor pan does not have a opening and is not tall enough to sit correctly with the center console. So you cut a hole in it and mount a piece of sheet metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauncb View Post
    Your trans shifter hole looks way different than mine does, mine is just a hole that runs the same as the trans hump and my car was a factory 4 speed and I have ran a t5 without any fitment issues, I guess we will see when the tr3650 is going in.

Sorry guys it been awhile since I last update,
    Progress,
    - Maximum Motorsports K-Member
    Found out the car has been in an accident due to the alignment of the k-member. Front end is shift to the passengers side but I was still able to get the k member squared to the rear
    - Installed SN-95 spindles
    - Found a used set of cobra R Brembo's and rotors BIG Brakes
    Both banjo bolt threads striped in the calipers. Was able to helicoil.
    - original 302 was shot, replace with a 347 stroker
    Skip white heads 190cc/60cc( we will see about the quality)
    edelbrock 2281 cam
    Eagle cast crack and rods with keith black flat top pistons ( not the greatest)
    Comp roller rockers
    - Tremec 3550 installed with a aluminum spec flywheel and stage 3 clutch
    - aluminum drive shaft
    - Cobra IRS installed with no problems (super easy)
    - Maximum motorsports blisten coil overs kits in the rear and the front
    - New rear rotors, calipers and pads
    - new brake lines
    - New Tank from an 86 fox
    - in take aeromotive fuel pump
    - 86 sending unit but can get the gas gauge to work
    - Maximum motorsport roll bar with removable crossbar and side bars
    - Power coated local
    - Upgrade the power steering to a 03 Mach 1 rack with 6AN lines
    - mishimoto oil cooler and power steering oil cooler
    - Re-wired everything

I would double check the front end alignment to make sure the strut towers are not off as well. Getting the K-member straight is good, but if other points are off as well it could be a headache to get good suspension and steering alignment. It might be well worth the effort to have the front end pulled straight on a frame machine.

Quote Originally Posted by MNbuckeye View Post
    LMR.Com sells a auto to manual conversion. The auto floor pan does not have a opening and is not tall enough to sit correctly with the center console. So you cut a hole in it and mount a piece of sheet metal.
    My pace car was a factory 4 speed car, it doesnt have the piece on the floor like yours does, I've never had an issue with the center console either.
    Come to think of it I'm going to look at the 79 coupe I have to see if it has the hump piece in the floor also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12