Close

Default CARDONE 302831 Distributor

So I just installed this CARDONE 302831 remanufactured distributor on my '85 GT. The car acted like it was running on only 4 cylinders (wouldn't rev and idled around 250 RPM)....I swapped the OEM Ford one back in and it fired back up and idled where it needed to be.
    I bought the new unit as my OEM one needed a new vacuum advance diaphragm and I wanted to get a unit that hopefully had larger than the 10L reluctor arms...plus it was only $35

Has anyone had a refurbed distributor be bad right out the box? I am trying to wrap my head around what could even cause this??? Maybe the magnetic pick-up on the Cardone one was no good?
    Gripping the wheel his knuckles turn white with desire, the wheels of his mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45 ...True death 400 horsepower maximum performance piercing the night...this is black sunshine

What was the initial timing with the new distributor?

The page below is about TFI distributors, but most of the same comments apply to the internals of your distributor.

http://www.promracing.com/tfi-distri...wheel-189.html
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

I’m not surprised by this at all. Rebuilt distributors are know for being full of garbage parts. The Cardone rebuilt distributor i put in my ‘54 wagon got me exactly 15km from home before the condenser gave up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah timing was baseline at 12 degrees BTC with the new distributor. Looking at the two side by side it looks like the arm from the vacuum advance (yes it was unplugged to do baseline timing) on the new Cardone one is shorter slightly than the OEM one and that the tooth of the magnetic wheel would not line up with where it would be on the OEM one in the same position. Could a couple degrees off from where the tooth crosses the magnet cause the car to run that poorly?
    It looks like the Cardone unit vacuum advance arm has a manufactured bump in it that might act as a way to change when the magnet and tooth are in line?
    Gripping the wheel his knuckles turn white with desire, the wheels of his mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45 ...True death 400 horsepower maximum performance piercing the night...this is black sunshine