Close

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Default Cool cars that have been in your family

Hello all,

I was reading an article in Hemmings about cars in your family, and I thought it would be cool to read your responses too.

The only rule is that you have had to see these. Like my dad had a cool High School car, but I never saw it, so I will not post.

Or when I was to little to remember. He took a 289 from a wreaked Mustang and put it in a Falcon. He told me the breaks went out and he hit a telephone pole. He was not hurt, but he had to buy a new telephone pole.

Dad also found my 79 Cobra and gave me 1,000 to put as a down payment.

It does not matter the make, as I personally think all cars, trucks, are cool.

My Dad has had the following cars that I have seen
    =================================
    1972 Grabber Maverick
    1977 Bandit Trans Am
    1981 Bandit Trans Am Turbo
    1987 Mustang GT, Black, 5 Speed with T-Tops
    1988 Turbo Coupe, Black, 5 Speed with Leather Seats
    1989 Turbo Coupe, Blue, 5 Speed with Leather Seats
    1989 Mustang LX 5.0, Black with 5 Speed and black cloth interior. He drove this car 20 years.

Dad now drives a Black Ford Fusion, not as cool. He says he feels to old to drive a Mustang, lol

My Uncle has had the following cars that I have seen
    ================================
    Triumph Red TR6
    Mazda RX-7
    1985 Mustang GT, Red convertible with a white Top
    C5 White Corvette

What about your family cars you have seen in your life?
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 03-22-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

FEP Power Member

My uncle has a 1947 chevy sedan that's been in the family since 1950 or 51. It was great-grandpa's car, he left it to his grandson(my uncle) when he died. Last I heard my uncle is planning on towing it from Southern California to my cousin's place in the Seattle area, he promised him the car years ago. Same uncle has a 1977 Corvette that needs to be smogged before he can drive it again.

A different uncle still has the 1965 Mustang fastback that my aunt got as her high school graduation gift. It's been sitting in the driveway for at least 30 years. Same uncle has a 57 Thunderbird that he bought after coming home from Vietnam, that one's rotting in the garage.

My brother has a 65 F100 stepside that grandpa gave him 20 years ago. Grandpa bought that one in the 70s and drove it for 20 years. It kind of runs, got some rust that needs to be repaired.

Life is too short to drive boring cars or drink cheap beer.

Even our daily drivers are somewhat exciting, my daily is a Mini And my wife’s is a Ecoboost Flex, a lot of people are surprised my a twin turbo all wheel drive family station wagon.

My dad has a 2002 thunderbird as his daily in the summer.

Here’s a pic of my 83 with my dad’s 65 fastback the day he bought it. He sold the ‘65 when we build him a factory five cobra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My parents didn't have much money to throw around growing up. They had a '74 Maverick for a while I wouldn't mind having back. I think it might have been rusty underneath though.

Now, my dad has this '66 289 Mustang (2nd car).
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  102.4 KB
    You can see my brother's '79 Capri next to it. It was aero'ed and Chevy swapped. Double whammy. That's my GT in the foreground.

He also had an '01 Cobra. NICE car. That's my 289 powered '87 notch in front of it.
    Name:  Capture 1.JPG
Views: 163
Size:  77.6 KB
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I grew up around several cool cars that Dad had and worked on. I remember helping him in the carport when I was small and riding around in them.

83 Cougar 302 TRX

67 Mustang GT fastback factory 390 long gone. Picture taken after dropping a cammed 427 in it. Top loader trans and 4.10s with detroit locker. This car was a bad machine. I wish I had more pics of it.

Challenger 440-6 automatic

91 Mustang convertible Dad bought new.

71 Mustang 351c 4bbl automatic
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

My dad bought his car a '79 Fairmont 302 4drs. in early '80s, to this day I miss that Fairmont .he gave it to the tow yard.I searched hi and low for it and found my current '78 Fairmont in memory of papa.

Well - let’s see......

I didn’t get to ever see or ride in my dad’s 50 dodge with pushbutton transmission but I did get to see an identical twin every day as a kid growing up

I also didn’t get to see or ride in my dad’s V8 4 speed swapped 1963 Nova SS, but did get to see a twin to it as a kid

I also never got to see or ride in my dad’s 1957 Chevy 2D hardtop that suffered a catostrophic transmission failure either

I rode home from the hospital in my parents emerald green 1968 Camaro that I remember from when I was little. My parents sold it to my aunt and uncle and my aunt rolled it. That old car sits in a junk car pit. Basket case condition or worse

Dad had a blue 1965 Chevy C10 pickup when I was little. 230 6cyl, 3 speed

When the C10 died, dad bought a 1966 Suburban. 283, 4 speed, etc. was baby blue originally was repainted emerald green with a white top

The absolutely coolest car we had when I was growing up was a 1965 Olds Starfire Convertible. White with black top, baby blue interior. 385 HP 425, automatic. Factory power top, dealer AC, etc. What a SWEET old gun boat.

Growing up, Mom bought a 68 Mustang Fastback when I was one, over the years she rebuilt it, and raced it, it was 302 powered with a toploader 4 speed, she sold it when I was 14 because she saw I was an animal with things with wheels,didnt want me anywhere near it, I remember she had a 1986 Trans Am t-top black and gold , she bought that new, she also had high serria Full size jimmy 1989 she bought new with 31" BFG all terrain tires white letter, I liked that Jimmy, then there was 1991 GTA trans am, 350 Tuned Port Injection , we called that the 5 Liter Eater. That was an awesome car. My uncle always had Mopar cars, chargers, roadrunners, superbees , he had a field of them back then.
    Some of the cool cars I had over the years were 1973 challenger 340 ralley , slapstick 727, had another 73 ralley challenger with a 440 4 speed pistol grip, I built that engine and it was a beast. In Highschool I had a 1997 trans am ws6 , I had a bad accident with that( mom said way too much car for a 17 year old) I ran stuff pretty hard back then, she was right.
    Grandpa was a truck man, remember a 76 f100 he had with a rebuilt big block, the truck was orange with black Explorer stripe kit, that truck would smoke the tires outta sight, we lived in the country, family owned saw mill and finish mill, Dad had an old 1982 Dodge Ram club cab short box 4x4 with 360 . that was an awesome old rugged truck, and it did truck stuff from going to check wood lots to taking parts out to broken woods equipment. I loved going in that truck because when it went somewhere , it was always on a mission

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I love these responses and photos! Very cool
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371