Close

FEP User

Default 85GT Hood Damage?

Hello,

I am trying to figure out if this hood is as good as it gets, or if there is anything i can do to correct it. I attached some pictures that show my best attempt to align the hood, but it still over hangs at the front, and it appears that the downward slope in the front is not parallel with the bumper. I suspect the hood itself is bent, but only slightly enough to be frustrating. I am hoping there are some ideas i can try to "persuade" the hood into shape. Name:  20160320_173955.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  100.4 KBName:  20160320_173911.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  83.0 KBName:  20160320_173926.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  127.3 KBName:  20160320_173939.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  162.6 KB

Wow, that would drive me insane. She got warped somehow. Good looking color on that GT.

Brant

Honestly most of what you see is 1980's quality and tolerances. Some hoods fit better than others, some not so much. The leading edge might be out a bit due to damage, people yanking on it, etc. or it might just be that way from day one.

You say you have tried to align the hood, but without seeing the gap at the back of the hood to the cowl and your fender to door gaps, there is no way to be sure what if anything can be done to make it fit "Better".

When I repaint/rebuild a car, I actually install the hood first before any of the rest of the front sheet metal. I get the hood aligned to the cowl side to side and then I get my gap at the back of the hood at the cowl set where I would like it to be. Then I install the front fenders, align them with my gaps to the doors and finally the front cover. Then I go back and tweak as needed to get the best fit. It's not uncommon for me to have to pull the hood forward on the nose to get the leading edge to align with the bumper cover better and thus have a larger gap at the back of the hood than I originally wanted.

Post up some pictures of the areas mentioned and we might be able to give some suggestions on how to tweak things to look a bit better.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP User

Here are some more pictures, sory for the lower quality, car is in the parking deck and didn't want to reconnect the battery

Name:  20190322_170131.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  75.8 KBName:  20190322_170247.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  65.0 KBName:  20190322_170141.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  49.8 KBName:  20190322_170155.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  53.4 KB

looks moved forward to me. should be able to loosen up the hardware and re adjust. but the front edge looks a bit warped also.

Hard to tell for sure from the pictures, but it appears that you have enough of a gap at the back of the hood to cowl that you could adjust the hood for a better alignment. I would double check, but I believe you can shift the hood to the rear, closing the gap at the cowl and getting the front lip of the hood to align better with the front bumper cover.

It also appears that you might need to adjust the front hood bumper up on the driver side to get the top of the hood to align more level with the front fender. Gap side to side appears to be equal and pretty straight on both sides.

My .02 for what it's worth in regards to the leading edge of the hood. If the front leading edge is flat and smooth across the front, but the angle compared to the bumper cover is off, then that is just the way that hood was stamped and there's no damage. If there are waves across the face of the leading edge that would indicate to me that the hood has been damaged, yanked on, bent, warped, etc. at some point in it's life ant that may be the reason for the difference in angles.

The angle of the hood can be adjusted, but it's not an easy task and I would not recommend it unless you are ready to paint as the odds are it will damage the existing paint and need to be touched up/protected.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP User

Thanks for the info, I will adjust towards the rear some more, if i recall from the last time, if i adjusted any further back, then it would contact the cowl. will also double check the hood bumper, and report back.

As you can see, paint is really rough on the edges, I have been planning a respray, but since i found out the car originally was Black with a silver hood stripe, i am not sure which path to go, I really fell in love with that blue- if i could only figure out what color code it is.

Not sure about any silver hood stripe being original, but from the pictures the color looks like Ford Atlantic Blue (K7) appears to be virtually identical to this GT. http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

Name:  escogt85MustangGT.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  128.7 KB

Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Not sure about any silver hood stripe being original, but from the pictures the color looks like Ford Atlantic Blue (K7) appears to be virtually identical to this GT. http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

Name:  escogt85MustangGT.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  128.7 KB

Good Luck!
    Man, that is a good looking color. Why in the world did they not paint more this color? That's just crazy, a Ford thing I guess.

FEP Senior Member

I think you've got it figured out, but this may help.