Close

Default Fair value range?

Greetings! I am glad I found this site and the wealth of knowledge I’ve read here.

Looking to hopefully join you all as an owner at some point. With that said, any thoughts on the fair market value for this car?

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto...843319329.html

I have driven the car. Seems like a legit 25k mile car. Interior clean. Fit and finish not as nice as photos. Mechanically felt good. No AC which concerns me here in Fla, even for a weekend cruiser.

Anyway, thoughts of a fair offer?
    Last edited by JPP13; 03-21-2019 at 04:30 PM.

I have more than that in restoring mine and it's not a show car, by any stretch. So technically, if it doesn't need much, I'd probably pay up to his asking price. I'm just judging by the pics. If it's not clean under the hood an under the car or it has some rust here and there or needs a repaint, headliner, carpet, and other tlc. I'd say it's probably worth closer to $6-9k. It's pretty hard to narrow down a value without seeing it in person. Basically, you can figure out what one would be worth in 100% showroom condition. Start subtracting the cost of whatever repairs it needs and then start from there. In some instances, it's not even worth messing with.

I see it a lot with vehicles that need body work. In 100% condition, they might be worth $10k. Add up the cost of the repairs and you'll have $15k in it.

Thank you for the response. There is no rust, at least from my inspection. Checked the towers, rails, floors as best I could.

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    I have more than that in restoring mine and it's not a show car, by any stretch. So technically, if it doesn't need much, I'd probably pay up to his asking price. I'm just judging by the pics. If it's not clean under the hood an under the car or it has some rust here and there or needs a repaint, headliner, carpet, and other tlc. I'd say it's probably worth closer to $6-9k. It's pretty hard to narrow down a value without seeing it in person. Basically, you can figure out what one would be worth in 100% showroom condition. Start subtracting the cost of whatever repairs it needs and then start from there. In some instances, it's not even worth messing with.

I see it a lot with vehicles that need body work. In 100% condition, they might be worth $10k. Add up the cost of the repairs and you'll have $15k in it.
    Seems about right. I see broken seat belt sleeves and dirt on the carpet. I also see the body side trim starting to peel up. That kind of stuff keeps it below $15K.
    Last edited by KevinK; 03-21-2019 at 09:11 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Good eye. Also the fog lights not working. All the other electronics seem ok.
    I’m thinking I can get it for 10k. Does that seem reasonable?

Couple of things I see and I am not the "Expert" when it comes to originality so . . .

First the seats look Spectacular for a PC so that either means it has been well cared for and the 26K miles is accurate OR those are new seat covers and that makes me suspect of the mileage.

Second the add mentions a 5 speed, if the car actually has a 5 speed that is not original to the V8 and again makes me suspect of the mileage.

The running ponies on the driver side appear to be off in color for the second pony. The second pony should be a lighter color than the first, but darker than the 3rd. It could just be the angle of the photo, the lighting, or my monitor, but it still looks OFF. The aftermarket replacement decals are incorrect and have the 2nd and 3rd pony color switched, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The last item has me a bit confused. Again it might be the angle or the lighting, but not only is the coloring off on the ponies on the passenger side, but I only count 3 horses! Maybe it's late and I am tired, but I have looked several times and I still only count 3 running ponies, so the other is either extremely light or just not there.

Good Luck with the possible purchase.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you. I do believe it was a 4 speed. The paperwork did seem to check out that it was low mileage, but who knows.
    Thoughts on fair price?
    Last edited by JPP13; 03-21-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Trey made a very good point on the seat upholstery. If that is, indeed, the original fabric, it will be the first one I've seen where the fabric wasn't worn. I remember my cousin's pace car back in the early 80's. I'm talking 80 or 81. His looked brand new at the time, but I distinctly remember the fabric looking old and faded. I thought it looked off, considering the condition of the car. Later, I realized that the fabric just didn't hold up at all.

And if you haven't already, check the sunroof area well. Any signs of bubbling paint is a can of worms. I'm not trying to persuade you not to buy it. I'm simply giving you some ideas to negotiate a fair price. Car looks exceptional, from the pics and description.

I will, thank you. Going back to see it again Saturday morning.

Thanks for the help. I did buy the car. Deposit and a handshake and pick it up Monday. Looking forward to sharing some pictures when I get it home.

Congrats! nice looking FOX, looking forward to pics. Enjoy it!

It also comes with the original wheels with what appear to be the original tires from 79. I will be very tempted to put the wheels back on if I can find the tires at somewhat of an acceptable price.

Did in fact take possession. I’m now the third owner. Paperwork supports 22k original miles. Car in fact seems original, but I’m sure someone can point out what is not. Spent some time cleaning the interior. Here’s a quick shot, will get better pictures in next couple of days.
    Name:  010BB178-695D-4FCB-89C5-DDF65999C0D1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  95.0 KB

Nice car, congratulations

New User

Looks really nice, i love the pace cars. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1979 2.5L TURBO NOTCHBACK