Close

Default Steering rack hitting oil pan with new upr kmember

Hey guys I just bought a new upr kmember to use with my 351w swap. I'm running a canton 15-670 pan and a power rack. The rack is maybe 1/16" off the oil pan after putting offset rack bushings on and grinding the top of the steering rack slightly. I've read your suppose to have around 1/4" clearance. I have energy suspension motor mounts and also had to use washers stacked up to1/2" between the block and mount to get the 1/16" clearance. The 1/2 stack of washers is causing my collectors to be very close to the bottom of the floorboard. Only thing I can think of doing now is to buy kmember spacers and space It down then space the motor mounts up higher with more washers. Any other ideas??

Different mounts? Different oil pan? You could clearance the bottom of the pan. I'd be leary of running a stack of washers.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

I figure the issue is that the pan is a deep pan to use with a windage tray. Supposedly the upr kmember is designed with stock kmember geometry. Cant really do anything with the oil pan as far as clearancing it cause the windage tray sits right on it inside. Bend it up the windage tray will push up too.

I had a UPR k-member in my '79. I used a Canton 7 quart pan on my 351w based stroker. I also had limited rack clearance. My k-member was spaced down one inch for hood clearance. I believe I used vert motor mounts which do lower the motor a bit. I used MM's rack relocators to move the rack down a bit. I spaced the motor up by using bellhousing bolts with a nut between the mount and the block, it was all threaded together, maybe better than washers. Oil pan clearance was 1/8 to 3/16", I didn't have any issues with that small of a clearance. Your poly mounts shouldn't give much, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Maybe stuff some play-do in there and go for a spirited ride to see how much is squishes down?

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

I talked to upr yesterday and the guy I spoke with gave me a clearance of 1/4" with poly mounts. I took a flap disk to the top of the rack as much as I'm willing to and I've got probably right at 1/16". Lol. So guess I'll have to order some kmember spacers. I figured I would get some 6061 bar stock and make some 3/4" spacer plates to go in between the mounts and block. Good idea with the playdoh though, never thought about that.