Close

Thread: my 86 notch

Default my 86 notch

so, almost done with the body work, and taking it apart.... now the fun... what color?!? original color was brown...then someone painted black.. i may still keep it black.. but.. what is all you favorite color? if you can paint your car any color you want, what would it be? post a pict with your answer.

FEP Supporter

I really like Dark Sage. Like several of the Hertz SVO's.

Name:  mump_0104_01_z+dark_sage_1985_ford_mustang_svo_rarity+green_mustang_compact.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  95.3 KB
    '85 GT

Contact Davedacarpainter. It's 3R1, a Toyota color

The Maserati Bertone design colors were copied by Toyota in the early 80's. Calty Design got dowdy Toyota to use the most excelent color choices back in the early 80's too, so they are an excellent choice today on a hard edged Mustang Notch.

Ford refused to s3x up the base colors for many years, it was the decal era of 1977 to 1981 that was the image spike. Base colors were mild mannered, even the Ford Reds and Oranges. Fords took the hard edge devised by Jac Talenacs team, the same that did the Fiesta and the Itialian-esque hard lines, Ghia influence from Tom Tjaara, but they didn't copy over the Ghia and Bertone or Ital Design color dynamics the Italians pioneered.

Ford eventually went back to greeny yellow metalics and campagne brandy reds that color therapests recon make soothing or invigorating mental associations.

The Yellow Lamborghini Countach 1972 show car took the elements of the Maserati Ghibli yellow green metallic iso cyanate of 1970, but the yellow was sombre in comparison;

that is my all time favorite, and it was copied by Ford for the 1971 TC Mark III Cortina GT green metalic, and again for the 2003 Acid Rush Ford Falcon XR6.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    First post with a picture, i don't have a lot of time right this minute, so here's the new color.
    I'll start posting more a little later on.
    Some of Ford and Mercury Capris had an exceptionally spunky brown in varying shades.

1980, 8A Dark Chamois Metallic,
    1983, 9N Desert Tan Metallic Glow
    85/86, 8Y Dark Clove Brown Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakeshake View Post
    Now that I had a car that fired up, and “ran” I was ready to tackle some cosmetics. I know I know, kinda backwards. Build the car then paint it? . I first installed the pre-83 mustand air dam after I spent about 6 hours sanding down the stupid urethane bumper cover. Trust me, it is FAR from perfect but it came out decent. They are next to impossible to find in good shape anyway. Plus, im not really a cosmetic guy, 110% function over form… adds to the sleeper look I guess.

The car was brown before and has a full brown interior so in an attempt to keep it a touch original I went with a bronze metallic color. Bought me a HVLP spray gun and I was ready to shoot paint for the first time. My prep work consisted of 600 grit over the whole car, and a denatured wipe on each panel before I sprayed it. I removed the urethane moldings from the car (I was missing one anyway) and painted a black stripe in their place. Masked the line, and hit the car with 3 coasts of base, then 3 coats of high solids clear. Form my first spray job, in a dusty open garage, I think it came out AWESOME. Sure there is a bit of peel, dust specks and a few bug trails, but it adds to the look….

It was time to get the car down to the dyno and have Josh and Pete over at Performance Dyno get me running. Trip one; “That MAF is totally going to peg once we get this thing rev’d up” … Pete was totally right. He gave me a great base tune that let the car run and drive out of boost so now I was at least able to road test it a bit. I got the BA5000 on order and scheduled my next pull.

This time I was able to drive to the dyno and didn’t need to bother with the trailer which was awesome. We got it on the rollers and started doing some more tuning with the new MAF in place. Once it came time for some real pulls we did a few boost checks to see where my minimum boost was sitting, I had all 3 wategate spring installed and holy crap…we hit 18.2 psi first pull. EASY cowboy! I pulled the wastegate and took out a spring which set me right where I wanted to be. 11.8. That gave me a great base with room to grow if I wanted.

Now we were ready for some full pulls. Josh dropped it in 4th and gave her the dinnah! The car would pull nice until about 3500 then, whack! It would tach out almost instantly. We both scratched our heads for a bit and then I asked him if this could be a symptom of a crappy clutch. We agreed at the point that it was totally what was going on. I honestly cant remember the part number but the clutch was some stock application unit that for some reason I trusted to hold power…

My buddy down the street has a two post lift, so I jumped over there to get my new clutch in place. I went with a dual ceramic McLeod street extreme (75307). Good up to 700/700, and I heard it drove well. I was very surprised at just how well it did drove. Smooth engagement, great modulation. Highly recommend.

Now that we had a clutch in place, back to the dyno for one last hurrah. I was ready to see what my first motor build would put down. 574/503 at the wheels at 12 psi. SO stoked.

Next chapter is to see what it will run (what I can drive) in the ¼ mile! Gonna try and head down this week for street night in Epping weather dependent. I also need to do the clutch packs in my diff because with the Toyo R888 in the rear, I am one legging the car during burnouts…super embarrassing.
    Overall I had a blast building the car. Plenty of frustrations, but that lead to lots of lessons learned. I did the build on a “budget” and certainly went cheap on a few items that I will certainly avoid next time. Spend the money and do it right the first time. You don’t need an $800 wastegate…but the $100 China setup is certainly not ideal.

Big shout to this forum and community here. Im 27 and use forums for everything… I don’t know how you guys build cars without the internet before…

I can do my best to answer questions or give tips for anyone doing a similar projected. I learned a ton, but there is still plenty to learn. [MENTION=265690]PancakeShake[/MENTION] on the gram, and #shathatch to follow the project

There is a Toyota brown and another red which work exceptionally well with the Foxes hard edges.

care of 79mustangcobra

The 1979 Mustang Cobra 2P red was s#y too.

Another was G4 redfire
    Quote Originally Posted by 91svtcoupe View Post

Ford Redfire Code is G4
    1C red as per riccs49 1981 Cobra with factory 200 and Code 6 T4 Borg Warner was pretty good too

Painted my 85 notch Eastwood Royal Blue.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Quote Originally Posted by 2ksteeda View Post
    Toyota/Lexus matador red. I almost went with ford "performance red", from the 2k Cobra R, but decided on this color since it has the perl/metallic effect.

Not sure on how close it is to redfire. Its hard to say unless they are side by side. In darker light, my car looks almost maroon, but really comes to life in the sun. You can see on the edge of the door jamb how the light reflects almost orange in the metal flake

This the link.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Jan09-to-Jul09

No log of photos list any longer.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...02#post1757502

Quote Originally Posted by 2ksteeda View Post
    I used this to make a custom cold air system for my car. I built a new engine with a taller intake manifold and this no longer fits under the hood so I need to sell it. I can sell just the air cleaner or with the hoses too if someone is interested. The hoses are 4" ID hose and the attachment to the air cleaner was fabricated out of sheet metal and is no longer stock. The emissions connections were all welded shut as well and painted gloss black with a polished lid and a new decal. I have a spare decal i'll include with the sale. It also comes with a K&N filter element. It is not 100% perfect but it worked great on my holley carb. It may have a few nicks and scratches from being in storage. I would like to get $100 for just the air cleaner itself, plus shipping. Located in Fredericksburg.

And page 4 hows some photos!

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...int-pics/page4

blueandsilver's Highland Green 2001 color

Quote Originally Posted by blueandsilver View Post
    It has dark gold flakes, its the highland green from the 01 model, but for some reason it looks different from the pictures I´ve seen of 01 Bullits, this one is not as dark....

some nice colors for sure! interesting to see

send me more of this brown! i was thinking of a deep rootbeer candy, but was unsure on a 4 eye if it worked..

@xctasy
    Last edited by Green Hornet; 03-18-2019 at 12:56 PM.

See below and Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
    send me more of this brown! i was thinking of a deep rootbeer candy, but was unsure on a 4 eye if it worked..

@xctasy
    See your other posts, and Hello!

1980, 8A Dark Chamois Metallic,
    1983, 9N Desert Tan Metallic Glow
    85/86, 8Y Dark Clove Brown Metallic

This is the 1980 8A Dark Chamois Metallic

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...0-Mustang-Ghia

Blue86 said A88, a 2010 New Mini Cooper color called Hot Chocolate is close

4th from the bottom in this list

http://www.bms-direct.co.uk/fr/conte...ni-paint-codes

that red fire looks nice also... especially if i tine it a shade darker....

FEP Power Member

A few colors I've always loved.

Candy Apple Red

The Ruby Red that Ford's been using in recent years

Not sure how it would look on a Fox, but I'd like to see colors like Gulfstream Aqua make a comeback

thank you all for the ideas... i may of found a color 2 go with... ill put in my build thread when its time to lay the paint down.