Close

Hybrid View

Default 1986 Capri 5.0 O2 sensor question

I have a 1986 ASC Capri that I am currently restoring. The motor runs like crap. The previous owner did a EGR delete, I am ordering the EGR delete part from LMR. He also did a O2 sensor delete. I cant find where the O2 sensor plugs in the wiring hardness, I assume in came out with O2 sensors in 1986, didn't it? It runs really rich ( plugs are black with in a few minutes of running). Any ideas on what to do with the lack O2 sensors?

Thanks
    1986 ACS McLaren Capri
    1971 Mustang
    1968 F100

There is absolutely nothing gained by deleting EGR

O2 sensor delete?! What the hell were they thinking?!

Put it back as factory and it will run as factory.

Find a VM1 ECU and crank the base timing up to 13.5 degrees advance and run premium fuel. Delete the silencer — it’s on the air box inside the fender. Get a high flow air filter

When you are done, tell us if the car doesn’t run 1000x better than it does now!

You’ll get the car the previous owner was hoping for.

The O2 sensor harness on my '86 Capri connected to the main harness on the front side of the passenger side shock tower. The O2 sensor harness also has the low oil level sensor harness with it. This is what you are looking for:

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FH%2D021

I used that on my car when I put the factory H-pipe back on my car.

Double post

This !!!

and screw that stupid idiot PO that ripped out the O2’s!!!

the next thing you’re going to tell me is they made their own double hump cross member — right Brock?!

That's insane! Why would you eliminate O2s?!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    That's insane! Why would you eliminate O2s?!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I wish I new, but that is what I am dealing with. I cant even find the remains in the wiring harness.
    1986 ACS McLaren Capri
    1971 Mustang
    1968 F100

That’s dumber than a sack of hammers!

They were probably trying to force it to just use fuel maps and ignore O2 signaling thinking it would get them to a fat top power oriented mixture. What they got was most of the timing advance ripped out as it went to its safety/limp mode

Not sure what you’re thinking you want to spend solving this. A used harness is probably money in the bank in the long run but this can be fixed.

Alternatively —You could always get an aftermarket ECU that focuses on fuel map strategy in closed loop and requires a wide band O2 on its own supplied harness. Pretty sure those systems completely ignore the factory narrow band O2’s

I’d fix the low oil light — no telling how many times it’s saved my bacon on my 86GT. as that thing has gotten worse about using oil over the years I’ve learned some tricks too that keep you safer than if you’re stopped beside the road.... if you shove in the clutch and turn the engine off, when you put it back to run if the engine is 1.5 quarts low the light will turn on. If not, pop the clutch to roll start it and keep right on trucking for a while