Close

Default MSD 2 step (7+) wiring with 8961 relay and clutch deactivation

Alright so I have been fighting this thing all day, I wanted to wire the 2 step (built in to my 7 prog +) to de activate when I let off the clutch. In addition I wanted the momentary button to be the cruise On button (blue wire in the colum).

I read through the many pages on this forum and many other places which pointed to a "Latching Relay" (MSD 8961) I went a head and ordered the relay and got it all wired but my issue is this. When I press the clutch in, hit the cruise button (momentary button) the 2 step activates but when I let off the clutch it does not de activate, I have to press the cruise off button for the 2 step to release. I found 2 examples of how to wire this and tried both. When I wire it the (seemingly) less common way the cruise button just turns into a horn button. I will attach below the wiring diagram I used.

Im just not understanding what Im doing wrong. My clutch switch has 2 ports for plugs, one has 2 red wires the other port has a plug but no wires going to it. If any one has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

** What it appears to be doing is latching the 2 step power and just not letting it go, even if I hit the cruise off button it only turns it off as long as the off button is held other wise it comes back on when released until shut off and re started

Name:  twostep_millhouse.gif
Views: 56
Size:  13.9 KB
    Last edited by 4.50; 04-04-2021 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Additional info