Close

Default New Owner from Langley, British Columbia- Thank You for letting me join

I was recently gifted a 5-speed '85 RS 5.0 from my girlfriends brother, it runs, but needs a lot of work...

-Body panels are all rusting and rotting out because it's been sitting for 7 years
    -Needs new weather stripping, seats and carpeting
    -Apparently it has a hard time downshifting into 3rd gear
    -Brakes badly need replacing as well as a fluid flush
    -Rad is cracked so bad it just leaks a river of cooking down the passenger side

Aside from that it's not so bad. Though I'm used to Japanese cars and electronic fuel injection as opposed to carburetors and American V8's. I can't wait to get this car on the road hahaha
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ericberard; 03-08-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Welcome! looks like a great project, one step at a time and soon you will be enjoying it.

Hi welcome. Lucky to get a nice car like that with so much potential.

Myself, drove VWs 1973 until 1980. Got me where i wanted to go.
    Were fun at the time, but felt so good to get back home into a US made car.

Older cars are 'harder' to drive than new ones, but way less distracting and costly.
    Older driven cars always need work, just like older newer cars do. Common items.
    Even if you spend 10g, will be money ahead with a car and a classy car to boot.
    I dont worry about spending to fix or getting my money back. Why? Aint sellin it.
    The alternative (other cars) can cost 5x+ more. If you can fix them.
    These you can repair at own pace and financial load. Body/chassis/rust is the hard part.
    Mix and match parts, play at any level of restore. Can be as dependable as any new car.
    Change the car at will with colors, parts, even for fun. Won't really hurt the value.
    Most of all, do enjoy owning your new car!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave9052 View Post
    Welcome! looks like a great project, one step at a time and soon you will be enjoying it.
    Hahaha hopefully soon! I'd love to get to drive it in the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Hi welcome. Lucky to get a nice car like that with so much potential.

Myself, drove VWs 1973 until 1980. Got me where i wanted to go.
    Were fun at the time, but felt so good to get back home into a US made car.

Older cars are 'harder' to drive than new ones, but way less distracting and costly.
    Older driven cars always need work, just like older newer cars do. Common items.
    Even if you spend 10g, will be money ahead with a car and a classy car to boot.
    I dont worry about spending to fix or getting my money back. Why? Aint sellin it.
    The alternative (other cars) can cost 5x+ more. If you can fix them.
    These you can repair at own pace and financial load. Body/chassis/rust is the hard part.
    Mix and match parts, play at any level of restore. Can be as dependable as any new car.
    Change the car at will with colors, parts, even for fun. Won't really hurt the value.
    Most of all, do enjoy owning your new car!
    Hahaha that's the best thing about these cars, so much potential, a strong after market, and used replacement parts are easy to find!

Definitely have to work there to get that one back on the road, but in many ways that is the most fun! At least for me!

A very cool and unique car that I doubt you will see many others like it cruising or at the local shows. Good Luck with the project! Keep us updated with pictures and progress as you go. There are plenty of members up North and here in the US that may be able to help you out in regards to parts and pieces. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller