Close

Default Ignition wires get hot

Wrapping up the odds and ends on this car. Getting her “road worthy” after 21 yrs of sitting in the barn. Having the key turned on after 20/30 minutes, I can smell this warm wire smell in the car, and with the column cover off, my ignition wires get hot, not hot enough to make you pull away your hand, but hot. I’ve had two people tell me I was crazy, that they just smell an “old car”. Hopefully I’m just panicking, but I’ve witnessed 2 classic car fires due to wiring. I don’t want to be the 3rd. The ignition switch connector doesn’t appear to be separated at all. Any ideas?

Is the ignition just on but the engine not running, or while the engine is running? I'm pretty sure either way no wires are supposed to get hot...I'd assume you'd trip a fuse if there's a short, make sure someone hasn't bypassed them or put in the wrong sized fuses. There are wiring diagrams posted on this site you can use to make sure of all the connections and grounds and everything else you'll need. You just never know what someone might have hacked together 20 years ago. From your name, I assume it's an 83? Does it have a 351 in it, or original engine? Original ignition system? Folks will need to know that in order to help you.

The good news is when wires are getting hot, it's generally either a short, too much power, or some resistance someplace in the wire itself. In theory it shouldn't be that hard to locate the culprit with a multimeter and some patience. Wiring can be frustrating though, good luck!

It does have a 351. No one has messed with anything except me. I did have the dash out for a heater core, maybe I knocked something loose. But yes, key on, engine not running. It will even do it in the acc position. Time to bust out the evtm.

Have you inspected the ignition switch? They're a common problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncojunkie View Post
    Have you inspected the ignition switch? They're a common problem.
    Ordering one today. Might as well get the new connector as well. It doesn’t appear to be bad, but after a lot of research, you are correct. Very common problem.