Close

Default 1979 Pace Car Purchase Good Buy? (Beginner seeking advice)

Hi All,

Seeking advice from all you fox body gurus out there. I am wanting to pick up a new hobby of tinkering and restoring a fox body. I have Somewhat beginner mech. skills but am fairly smart and can turn a wrench and most importantly willing to learn (have some tools and access to more). Growing up my dad owned a 66 stang that we would work on. Anyway, long story short, found a 1979 pace car v8 manual about 20 minutes away. 78k odo. Good condition. Guy is asking 6k..third owner who had it covered. Informed me he drove it 3000k in 8 years and has only done oil changes and basic maintenance. Are these cars fairly easy to work on? Parts availability? He informed me very little rust and drives great and everything works except wipers stay on. Is this a fair price? Anything specific to look for when I see it this weekend? I researched the normal stuff (strut towers/torque boxes, rear seal, etc.)
    Any help or advise is greatly appreciated!! Thank you all for your time and insight to this beginner! (gotta start somewhere!)

kyle
    Attached Images Attached Images    

First Welcome to FEP! There are plenty of members here that are more than willing and able to help. Do some searching around in the different Forums and I am sure you will find plenty of information to help you out.

As for the Pace Car, depending on the overall condition $6K may be a good price. It is hard to really determine the value of a vehicle via pictures over the internet, but at first glance it does look to be in good shape.

If everything is there and in working order than the pricing seems fair to me at this point. Double check the mileage, but judging by what I can see of the driver's Recaro seat I believe the mileage is probably accurate. Obviously rust is an issue in any car, so I recommend looking into that carefully to verify what there is and how bad. That is something I would address immediately to prevent any further and more costly damage if you do purchase the vehicle.

The Pace Cars are great cars (Yes I own one too! ) Very late 70's with the loud graphics and colors. If you don't like attention, then you may want to reconsider. Typical issues as most any Fox, so nothing really major. Check for rust around the sunroof, quarters, floor, frame rails, strut towers, etc. The 4 spd is a nice long throw shifter so get used to rowing a boat. The 302 is a nice engine, but not overly powerful. The car is pretty simple and easy to work on if you are handy and mechanically inclined. No computers to annoy you, but no computer to tell you what might be wrong either.

Oh, just FYI there should be a sun shade for the sunroof. If it's not there, you might just check with the current owner as many of them get pulled out of the cars and forgotten about over time. If the vehicle checks out and is in decent shape, meets your budget, etc. then I would say go for it. Good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller