Close

Thread: Hr980 ac

Default Hr980 ac

Hey guys,

I heard the 2.3 turbo was the car mainly used with the HR980 AC.

Would anyone have a photo of that AC hooked up and where the vacuum lines go? I’m trying to see if I have an issue with vacuum as I can’t get air to come from my dash vents. Only defrost and floor.

The vacuum would be hooked up the same as I explained before if the unit is a Factory installed setup. The only differences have to do with the differences in regards to the compress, lines, etc. The vacuum lines and fittings will still be essentially the same with the only real difference being the vacuum feed line from the engine.

You might consider taking some pictures of the HVAC control unit and your dash vents, etc. as that may give some one here an idea of your setup and they might have some suggestions and advice on how to get the AC to blow correctly.

Worse case, make the long drive from New Orleans to the Austin TX area and I will help you sort it out.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Haha thanks bud! I wasn’t trying to step over you, I wanted to direct the HR980 to the 2.3 section for forum purposes seeing it allegedly was for this car.

This is a photo of the passenger side engine bay, between the strut tower and firewall. I almost feel as something is missing. Top of photo is a bracket with nothing attached to it and there is also a random electrical connector chilling...

Name:  89F32B3B-6BA7-42C5-86B3-6C4E50F5B5DD.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  74.9 KB

controls from within the car
    Name:  95E1252F-7B3A-447B-B1CE-DB3A2F36394B.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  55.2 KB

I watched this video and around 1:50 or so he starts showing the check valve and i don’t think I have that
    https://youtu.be/BZIXRoOO7cY

The doo-dah to the center of the hood hinge is light-weight (flexible) ground for the hood. The HVAC controller looks to be aftermarket. Have you posted the VIN and buck tags for your car in the Forum>Research>Production Number forum?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Caseindaplace View Post
    Haha thanks bud! I wasn’t trying to step over you, I wanted to direct the HR980 to the 2.3 section for forum purposes seeing it allegedly was for this car.

This is a photo of the passenger side engine bay, between the strut tower and firewall. I almost feel as something is missing. Top of photo is a bracket with nothing attached to it and there is also a random electrical connector chilling...

Name:  89F32B3B-6BA7-42C5-86B3-6C4E50F5B5DD.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  74.9 KB

controls from within the car
    Name:  95E1252F-7B3A-447B-B1CE-DB3A2F36394B.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  55.2 KB
    It's all good and I didn't take anything personally. My point was that the Factory installed A/C is much different than aftermarket or even Dealer installed A/C. Cars with Factory A/C use the same components under the dash and much of the same components under the hood. The only real difference being the actual compressor and A/C lines. The check valve, the vacuum line coming from inside the passenger compartment are all going to be the same. How the vacuum from the engine gets to the vacuum tree and subsequently the A/C may vary slightly but that's about it.

Just an FYI the plug sitting there next to your brake line appears to be the factory plug for the factory installed A/C accumulator. I might be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if that is true as Ford often has multiple options wired into the harness rather than make a separate harness for every single option. By 85/86 factory installed A/C was much more common than early in the Fox lifespan.

Looking at your control unit. It appears to be the stock NON A/C setup with an additional switch that turns on the compressor. I don't have one to look at right now, so I might be wrong and honestly most of my cars have had factory A/C since most of my time has been living in TX. Carefully pull the control unit out of the dash as much as you can without breaking anything. Check the back of the control unit where the lever for the A/C, Heat, Floor, etc. is. Does that lever have a cable attached to it or does it have a large plastic/rubber plug with multiple vacuum lines coming off of it? If there is a cable, then your vent changes are mechanical and you need to look at your cable and connections. If there is a plug with vacuum lines, then you are back to checking for vacuum supply to the control unit. You can try and backtrack the lines, 3 or so will go to the HVAC box to control the blend doors and at least one should go into the engine compartment to get vacuum to power the unit. Maybe someone can carefully wiggle/pull on those vacuum lines while someone watches the engine compartment and see if any of those vacuum lines move. If so, then most likely that is your supply line and you just need to trace it and verify that it is hooked up. Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 03-06-2019 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Name:  AC picture2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  139.0 KB

In the photo of the engine bay above, there are the large heater/A/C hoses going into the firewall. There appears to be a vacuum line going over the top of the large hose right up at the firewall. Is that a vacuum line? It looks like that would be your vacuum supply line right there. I might be wrong, but I would look at that line closely and trace it to verify where it goes.

Also what is the line that goes under that same hose just slight more forward in the engine compartment?
    Last edited by wraithracing; 03-06-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Power Member

The hvac control panel pictured confirms as we suspected it is a Ford dealer installed ac. From what I have read, the dealer installed kit varied over the years. The early ones in 79 had an add on hvac control panel and an added box to the heater box. I would imagine those retained most of the non-ac hardware. By the time 85/85 rolled around, I think you will find it resembling the factory system but repackaged. These should all be documented in the Ford parts book and service manuals. Unfortunately, there are probably very few similarities between the factory 2.3 hr980 and the dealer installed kit with the hr980.

I have a couple of factory 2.3 ac cars and they are mostly identical to the 5.0 factory ac except for the engine mounted components.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Yes we have confirmed for sure it’s a manual lever as seen in this photo, so with that I should do away with vacuum issues to control the route / avenue of air flow

Name:  49BC898E-B2F6-41BB-B44D-D29200AB44BD.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  40.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    The doo-dah to the center of the hood hinge is light-weight (flexible) ground for the hood. The HVAC controller looks to be aftermarket. Have you posted the VIN and buck tags for your car in the Forum>Research>Production Number forum?

Mike

No I have not. What is this and how does it work? What are buck tags?

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    It's all good and I didn't take anything personally. My point was that the Factory installed A/C is much different than aftermarket or even Dealer installed A/C. Cars with Factory A/C use the same components under the dash and much of the same components under the hood. The only real difference being the actual compressor and A/C lines. The check valve, the vacuum line coming from inside the passenger compartment are all going to be the same. How the vacuum from the engine gets to the vacuum tree and subsequently the A/C may vary slightly but that's about it.

Looking at your control unit. It appears to be the stock NON A/C setup with an additional switch that turns on the compressor. I don't have one to look at right now, so I might be wrong and honestly most of my cars have had factory A/C since most of my time has been living in TX. Carefully pull the control unit out of the dash as much as you can without breaking anything. Check the back of the control unit where the lever for the A/C, Heat, Floor, etc. is. Does that lever have a cable attached to it or does it have a large plastic/rubber plug with multiple vacuum lines coming off of it? If there is a cable, then your vent changes are mechanical and you need to look at your cable and connections. If there is a plug with vacuum lines, then you are back to checking for vacuum supply to the control unit. You can try and backtrack the lines, 3 or so will go to the HVAC box to control the blend doors and at least one should go into the engine compartment to get vacuum to power the unit. Maybe someone can carefully wiggle/pull on those vacuum lines while someone watches the engine compartment and see if any of those vacuum lines move. If so, then most likely that is your supply line and you just need to trace it and verify that it is hooked up. Good Luck!

I pulled the unit out and it is definitely a lever or rod, I can watch it move as I move the switch. I assume that now I need to dive all the way into the dash. It looks fine up top near the controls so I assume something is off inside the dash.

Side note, in order to reach the door or flap, I feel as it is right in the center of the dash. I couldn’t get to it behind the HVAC controls, nor behind the glove box or underneath from the floor. Would going through behind the radio be the way? Or full on dash removal?

My Capri has dealer installed a/c with the HR980. This thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-Turbo-gallery has some under hood shots, but I don't know if it has what you need. The hoses have been replaced by a a/c guy around the mid 90's, I guess. Maybe it'll help you.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I have the same problem.

I'm thinking of a full serpentine swap and a 89-2000 compressor and have the hydraulic hose shop splice hoses for me if necessary

On my 88 turbocoupe, I had to replace the AC and I got a compressor and bracketry from a dual plug mustang. I also measured and bought a dual/cross flow condenser. I had custom lines made to fit all of this.
    I later found out this compressor was kind of an in between of r12 and r134. And in the AZ desert, it's not that great .So even though I put an even more effecent condenser, the compressor is really not that good, no matter what.
    My next plan is to fit a more efficient compressor to the original bracket. And then more custom lines!
    But my point is, you can install a dual plug 2.3 ac but it's not very good compared to the original or to today's standard.