Close

Default New Member, New Ride, Have Questions

So I just recently picked up a 1984 LTD 3.8L. I once owned an 85 ltd and kept it stock. Ran it for several years before selling. I always wanted one back and I am so excited. This time I want to swap the 3.8 out for a 302 and add an 8.8 rear. From what I understand, its a fairly simple swap. I do have some questions however.

I want to ditch the EFI from the 3.8 and stick to a carbed setup. I would like to have a older 302/289 with a c4(Ihave a 66 Fairlane with the same setup and I know it). What wiring needs to be switched out from the LTD harness.

I guess I basically need to start putting together a shopping list of parts, what should I be looking for? Thanks!!

Here are a couple pics of the new girl, they are a couple years old but it hasnt changed much

Name:  1984-ford-ltd-brougham-43k-original-miles-garage-kept-no-lx-or-mustang-buy-now-3.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  90.0 KBName:  1984-ford-ltd-brougham-43k-original-miles-garage-kept-no-lx-or-mustang-buy-now-2.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  68.6 KBName:  1984-ford-ltd-brougham-43k-original-miles-garage-kept-no-lx-or-mustang-buy-now-4.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  63.3 KB

Nice car! Should be a cool build! Looking forward to following. When I did a carb swap on my '87 Mustang, I just disconnected what I didn't need and left it there. There really isn't much though. You probably don't even have the tach to deal with like I did.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Senior Member

Nice looking car. Are you planning to go with a mechanical fuel pump with the V8? The 3.8 used a high pressure fuel system so you will need to figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Nice car! Should be a cool build! Looking forward to following. When I did a carb swap on my '87 Mustang, I just disconnected what I didn't need and left it there. There really isn't much though. You probably don't even have the tach to deal with like I did.
    No, Ford deemed that we poor LTD owners only needed to know how fast the car was going and how much gas was in the tank. Apparently they didn't want to overload us with too much information.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

Yes I do plan on a mechanical pump, or at least a low pressure unit to work with the carb. I believe the pump is not in the tank so it should not be to much hassle. any Ideas as to what headers I can use. I would like a set of long tubes but not sure if they will fit.

Well my 1985 wagon had two fuel pumps. One pump in the fuel tank and one along the frame rail. It was a throttle body fuel injected car. I kept and upgraded the tank pump to run sequential electronic fuel injection. Your best bet is to buy a donor fox mustang and go to town! Just start swapping everything over. Since you are biased towards carb look for 83-85 mustangs. If you find an 85 aod car it will have a very similar fuel injection system... I think. Or you could sell the car to me for $500.

Looks like a fun one to follow!

I'm halfway regretting sticking with the 302 that came in my car, but nonetheless I'm running with it. Good luck to you and your build!

And so it begins... I picked up my free engine today, compliments of a local tow company with extra vehicles sitting around. Pays to be friendly to everyone. I ended up with a 5.0 from a mountaineer. Set in to tearing it down some today. It looks to be in good shape, turns over easy, GT40P heads, flywheel, all the accessories, even tho I plan on deleting some of them, AC and maybe power steering.

Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by mcb82gt View Post
    Great info, thanks

Threw some paint on the new 5.0. Went with Arthur Fonzarelli black. New intake and an old dizzy mocked in. Stock valve covers will be replaced. Name:  20190618_191718.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  139.4 KB
    Last edited by JakeyWilly; 06-20-2019 at 04:09 PM.

you need to change oil pan and pick up tube and any fox body 5.0 headers that work on a mustang will work on this car, I have an 82 Granada wagon and did the 3.8 to 5.0 swap I used an aod and afoxbody 8,8 posi with 3.73 gears and everything bolts right in,and your original driveshaft will work