Close

Default Cutting connectors and re wiring?

I知 in the process of stripping out the wiring in my 86 coupe, to replace it with the 12 circuit harness from ezwiring. The car will have mostly just the lights and signals, it will be a street/strip car that痴 driven only when it痴 nice outside. I知 spending a lot of time to get all the wires of the circuits I知 wanting to keep (I.e lights, signals) separated.

My question is, given that I値l be re wiring the car with the ezwiring kit, should I just cut the wires a foot or two off the the plugs at the lights and at the column to save time since I値l be running new wires anyway? This is my fist time re wiring a car so im trying not to be short sighted and avoid screwing my self later.

I have never installed an EZ Wiring kit, so I might be incorrect. I have installed several Ron Francis and Painless kits. Personally not a fan of Painless, but overall really like the Ron Francis setup. In my experience most of the aftermarket wiring kits are designed around GM steering columns, etc. Also most of the generic wiring kits do not include any of the pigtails or at least not the model specific pigtails for tail lights, etc.

I would recommend laying out the EZ wiring kit either in the car if gutted or at least beside the car to verify how and what exactly you have, especially if this is your first rewiring job. Most likely you will find that it is easier and better for you to keep long sections of the OEM wiring to help complete the job. In my experience if the tail light harness is in good shape it is easier and less time consuming to splice into the OEM setup than to run all new wires. The steering column and steering switch gears can be the same unless you a running a bare bones setup, but with the signals, wipers, flashers, ignition, etc. on the column there can be a lot of wiring. The same is true for the instrument cluster and Heater/HVAC setup depending on what and how much of that is retained. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

I prefer to de-pin connectors rather than just cut them off if you don't need the wire. It makes it have less of a shorting issue. Otherwise, I'd follow Trey's advice on laying the harness out to understand all that is needed to be modified, removed, or added.