Close

Default Rear shocks listed from 79-93 or 87-93 which is correct?

I have seen several rear shock manufacturers list there shocks as fitting from 87-93 and others from 79-93. I am told they are all the same but I am just wondering why some list them differently. I am specifically interested in The Tokico blue shocks that are listed as 87-93 for on my 1986 hatch. Part number HE3608. I see Lakewood and strange list their shocks for fitting all fox bodies. Just wondering why the difference.
    Last edited by mrhockey; 02-21-2019 at 03:28 PM.

No real difference. The supplier has to define what part matches what car, so the split between 79-93 and 87-93 is descriptive only.

What gets people confused is that Ford used two types of lower mount, and other means of additional rear suspension damping control by extra external dampers or shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    The 7.5" style mount puts the bolt in bending. The load is applied to the bolt about 1.5" away from its mounting point at the base. The end of the bolt is unsupported. This mounting technique is called single shear. The stiffness of this design is low. This probably results in greater chances of wheel hop.

The 8.8"style mount has a single bolt holding the shock bracket to the differential housing. This bolt has zero bending load in it since it is clamping two things together. It only sees a tension load from the bolt torque. The bolt that connects the shock to the bracket is supported at both ends. This is called double shear mounting. For a given bolt, it can take twice the load before the bolt fails than in single shear mounting. It is also results in a much stiffer mount.

In both cases, the load applied at the bottom of the shock is the same. With the double shear mount, the loads are resisted in a fashion which results in better use of the available mounting material. This gives the mount better stiffness and better fatigue life.

In fact, there is just one standard kind of rear shock absorber design dating from the 1964 AMC shock, and used by many other auto makers till the last live axle Fox based versions of the SN99 New Edge in 2003. 39 years of the same kind of rear shocks!

Its a white box good that you can get in many varieties. Spring rate on the coil defines rear suspension operation, the "shockie" spec varies between application, but the re-valving is generic. Eight other companies used the same rear shock.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...rs-for-79-82-s
    Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    I'm looking at new shocks at the back. There doesn't appear to be a specific damper rate, as the supplies listed both in the USA and here are also one size fits all for about nine different other models. Does Ford just use the spring rate and ride specs to tune suspension, and not the shocks? I know thats how GM Australia did all there suspension tuning, pretty much with either a strandard spring or a standard damper unit, and then variations of ancillaries to fine tune.

Are all the lower tier Foxes pretty much the same shock absorber, with fine tune by coil spring and stabilizer, slapper bar, Sports TRX / Sports Suspension bushes, Quadra shock etc?

I've noted that Monroe # 5847 OE Spectrum Passenger Car and #33097 Monro-Matic Plus is the common replacement for:-

FORD FAIRMONT (1978 - 1983)
    FORD GRANADA (1981 - 1982)
    FORD LTD (1983 - 1986)
    FORD LTD CROWN VICTORIA (1983 - 1986)
    FORD MUSTANG (1979 - 1993)
    MERCURY CAPRI (1979 - 1986)
    MERCURY COUGAR (1981 - 1982)
    MERCURY MARQUIS (1983 - 1986)
    MERCURY ZEPHYR (1978 - 1983)

The PO got # 15-3137 series Monroe Tenneco Australian GT Gas Pressure 230603 A replacements before, they are a standard

1964 to 1972 AMC Rambler/Javelin

1978-1993 HOLDEN Commodore VB, VC, VH, VK, VL, VN, VP,
    1993-07/1997 HOLDEN Commodore/Calias VR, VS V6 & V8

1964 to 74 TOYOTA Corona RT40, RT80, RT81, RT82
    1972 to 1977 TOYOTA Corona MK II 6 cyl Sedan
    1975 to 1981 TOYOTA Corolla KE30, KE35, KE40, KE45, KE50, KE55, KE60, KE65

12/1976 to 08/1980 TOYOTA Cressida MX36 2.6liter
    09/1982 to 07/1984 TOYOTA Cressida MX62 2.8 liter
    1971-1983 TOYOTA Toyo-ace Van

FEP Power Member

Ford/Motorcraft introduced gas charged shocks about 85. If you go back in the listings you will see a number for the old style and one for gas charged. I think the old style was obsoleted which left just gas charged shocks. A little later Motorcraft obsoleted one number and replaced it with another but only listed 87-93 as applications. That’s kind of what I saw from Ford. I have not confirmed it 100%. I should take some notes at the next MCA Show.

That said, I bought a used set of Bilstens from A buddy and I found the metal insert sleeve to be too long on the bottom mount for my 89. I just trimmed them down.

Prior to 85 there were some suspension options but I doubt they are supported in the replacement aftermarket market. I think the rears interchange up to 2004. Front struts is kind of a similar story but there was a mounting change with the bolts/holes.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

For the most part they are mechanically the same. The single shear shocks (7.5" mounting style) used a different length crush sleeve. In this design the crush sleeve length is not critical. With the double shear mount design (8.8" mounting style), the crush sleeve length is critical. Too long and it won't fit and too short and the bracket gets bent when you tighten the bolt.

Below is a shot of an AK model Bilstein which has the very long crush sleeve in it.

Name:  Bilstein AK 7.5inch single shear mount.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  82.3 KB
    Last edited by Jack Hidley; 02-22-2019 at 02:59 AM.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

As far as I know the SN95 shocks have their own bumpstop that makes the Fox bumpstop unneeded. Also they allow more bump travel. Not sure about droop.

I recall one of my good friends who has an 86GT mention that he had SN95 shocks in back, and that he removed the factory bumpstop before installation.