Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

All good stuff. Yes Johnny law is lurking heavily in that strip in fact you enter and leave 3-4 cities and they have nothing to do and only one way in /out

If you have back road know how then you deal with State or Sheriff or Wildlife lol

Funny you drive by a bar and appears dead as can be because most of the regulars are on there 3rd dui by 28 lol (not funny) but ...
    The bike rack is full though

Byrnes makes the best material I owe a lot of shot selection how to with his instructions

We park In memorial park on baseball diamonds for the cruise duggans isn't too far south
    We should be registered for Mustang Alley this year about 4 of us if we get our stuff together (my stuff together)

Dyno day is soon and my buddies dads super snake is shooting for 1000 rwhp plus on his new build.These guys are Ford fanatics and I'm super jealous of what they own and built over the years ... very impressive.
    There's a video last year of it shooting fire out of exhaust and putting down 748 rwhp from Shelby as is tune

Makes me want a coyote swap and whipple they are basically going to take my car and do it without my consent and give me a bill
    He won't let me do BBF and he's mad it's carb still..tough crowd to hang with..

His 93 cobra is under a respray at this very moment because my 85 outshines it (he painted it ) it was the car His dad bought new and he drove to high school once or twice and he hunted it down 20 years later and found it and my other buddy hauled it from Florida up to Michigan and it's a super cool story
    Magazine worthy in muscle mustangs and fast fords (my opinion)

Default Bikes, bikers, pool, bars, regulars, strangers.

Never slam a cue stick on a rail, home or in public. Similar to fist banging the glass on a pinball machine.
    Tapping on rail to call pocket ok? Bridge stick (if any) frowned upon in public. Provide one with a floppy head at home.
    Learned how to shoot opposite hand in a pinch or even backhanded. Does get looks. Like a card poker like move?

9/74 vacation, played on a free table solo, daytime, Piedmont (Oakland) Ca. Friendly biker bar. Order Olympia, not Coors.
    Will never forget what little i remember of that visit. Exact loc unknown.

1980's- Overtime Bar, Mound Rd near 8 mile, had many pool tables, dance floor, dj. Bar did very well almost every night.
    The after work stop. Bar specialized with quick grill food and a shuttle bus for Chrysler workers across the street.
    Once, sitting with friend (Chrysler worker), a girl sat down with us out of nowhere. Not a regular, pretty attractive.
    We were suspicious but shrugged that off. Uneasy, Matt left me with her and the pitcher of beer. Made small talk.
    Later, she suddenly walked over to a nearby table were bikers were sitting. They all were shooting pool at the time.
    One left his leather on a chair back. She lifted it, brought it back, and held it under 'our' table. I asked wtf?
    Well the jacket owner came back to his table, looking around for jacket. She dropped it on the floor under my table.
    She said her BS story was a mistake and was leaving, asked me to follow. Yah right.
    Rule- Never drop a leather. Never ever steal one with colors.
    I picked it up off the floor in respect, held it up, and told the owner (Larry, 6'-6") the girl took it and i did not know her.
    She runs out. Excused myself from my table and moved to the bar next to the waitress station (my fav spots).
    Ordered a shell, now on high alert. Mixed up with trouble not of my doing. What happens next i thought?
    Larry came up to me and bought the beer. Said my waitress (Linda B) told him the whole story (seen it all go down).
    Asking what happened to the strange girl, he said their bitches took care of her outside. Never seen her again. Good.

Played 3 rounds once, my old neighborhood bar, Christmas holiday. Bar was dead. 1.00 a game, with a regular pool shark.
    He asked if i wanted to play. Always watched games from the bar seat. Used a house stick, rolled it to check warp.
    I won all 3 games. Details fuzzy.
    8, 9 ball. Won one on break. One, ran the table. Decided to play him left handed (said I'll give you a chance). Won.
    When time to pay up, told him a beer was fine. He said no wonder i just sat out games. Did not believe i was a rookie.
    From then on he always gave me a recognition nod. Never attempted to try to do that again.. a freak accomplishment.

We sit at Pasquale's during the week and Sat late. Park on side street, n of 'M' park on Sat, then move to the parking lot later.
    Sat, cover alley, visit friends at their spots. We ride bicycles to cover all. Mustang stays home Saturday.

Have some 1/43 r/c cars. Have to try them on a old home pool table. Oval track or demo derby.

Usually I try to stay way clear of weekend traffic bar riff raft and would only play for a beer if gambling was part of the night

I shoot (or try) to shoot ,pool at a much higher level and take it very serious to be caught in a situation like that with bar traffic and stereo trypical image one may have of a bar player shooting pool..

I try to find someone better than my speed and gamble 5 a game they usually bump it to 10.00 cause that goes hand to n hand and just to get in there head I will say race to 3 for 20.00
    This is something I will never attempt in certain environments and these games usually go hill hill and back n forth for a few sets

I don't drink when I'm away from home anymore so playing for beer doesn't work but I take them and hand them to other people near the table (I have waitress deliver them) Quite funny to see unfold and the guy your shooting gets cranked up you're not drinking your beer . I play better with the edge off but not after a certain point

To me pool is not bar night and I don't play for fun I'm trying to get out and all money I donate to waitstaff once I take my entry and or lossed money (in bar setting) but tournament money is so much meaningful to win and that's what I'm after.

There was a local tournament that turned into a Leaque instead and ran for 10 weeks I reluctantly said yes and had to explain to the wife "it's winter this is what I do" she let's me go but getting home at 11:30-12:00 and get up before dawn for work is tough but again this isn't fun and it's alcohol free for me .. I do drink and enjoy the suds but never mix driving with the two (learned in 2004 with Johnny law) would of been nice(r) foxbody with what I could of saved in fees

Pool is not fun it's very frustrating once you understand how to play and the certain rolls certain people get and they get out when they can't string a rack together
    My 9ft big table stroke needs to adjust on little tables and everything is less talent on bar tables

You don't need a stroke you don't use rails and you can't slow roll balls and usually the cloth is thicker more durable for bar traffic and the rails might as be plywood with so many inconsistencies in the tables you usually need to have a stronger knowledge of the game because of needed angles and more clusters to deal with and harder forced stroke required to move that big heavy cueball on bar table

why does the cue ball come to the front of the pool table when you put it in a hole?? The other balls go into the window and held against there will only money will set them free.. lol

It's because the cueball is "larger" than the others which means more mass and more roll which requires more skill to keep control of it ..harder to draw it back but very possible and easily executable. Follow runs away but you will have more accuracy vs draw and smooth stroke with follow through

Most bar players are unaware of when to shoot and when to move furniture to block holes or give yourself key break out balls and if you can't run the rack out (with or without ability ) there's no reason to pocket a ball if one of yours don't have a pocket

Shockingly most bar players (bar players = no stroke ) are lost on bigger tables when you need finesse to move cue ball

If you keep missing a shot (inside cuts with inside English for me ) set it up mark table so it's the same and take the 15 balls and shoot 60 rack s until it becomes mechanical (robot like) you will be amazed how it becomes just a motion and nothing else

Don't count balls in or balls missed and don't change where you hit cueball same shot and just watch where you hit the
    Pocket left or right and adjust only that

This will require same stroke count 3 or 4 pumps then fire or whatever works for you then do the math 60x 15 = xxxx when this shot comes back up in a game you will be almost excited in insanity type of way

This is my routine when I do get out and shoot vs shooting balls around for 2 hours with no plan or purpose

This is how I can come in cold from "bar play" and compete in real tournament setting..again not fun and not for everyone but results are the real feedback with missed shots.

If I had a table i would have a real problem .. it's truly an obsession
    7:30 am to 2:30 am Wednesday thru Sunday is the tournament coming up non stop
    I try to prepare by staying out shooting when I'm tired.when I'm sick,when I'm hungry,when I'm not so happy,when I'm happy
    This will prepare you for any mood you're in to play at high level

Then the games go hill hill and you keep losing ..is it worth it ? Yes because it won't happen again but then it does and you repeat all of the above

Insanity for sure maybe worse than insanity..

Then I met my wife and took a breath and its starting to pull me back in
    Great thing I'm not into drugs otherwise curious how bad that would be lol

I don't play in tournaments or travel for it....just grew up around a table and got pretty good at it. The Jeannette thing was just a local bar opportunity not far from home...her home-town bar actually. The Striking Viking was at a security industry tradeshow where she was the paid "draw" to get people into one of our vendor's booths.

The cue that I use still today I won at a tournament in Atlantic City back around 1999....also at a security vendors convention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    Damn that sounds amazing and nice work on running the rack
    You sound very capable of a player wished I could venture out of state for such an event
    I however wouldn't be headed to Vegas with my on/off ability lol or out of state but would love to try it

For Jeanette of any pro to get the break is tough
    Most likely they will pocket a ball or three off the break and you know the rest
    I lost more hill hill games than I can count

Last year at soaring eagle I was 1 place out of the money in a hill hill match with a local guy I knew and messed up on a side pocket shot all I had the do was drift down 1 diamond and pocket the 8

That would of been money then 1 more match would put me over to the A side

That was the best pool I have ever shot and lost it to a local guy from my area

sucked that I gave it away but what I learned and the confidence it gave me to move forward is all I needed

I shoot twice a week 2 hours maybe and that's not enough but it gives me a baseline what it would take to pick up momentum

You have shot the best in the industry congrats what a cool experience

I
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

Either way what cool experienxe that must have been..
    back in early 2000s there was a Women's pro event north of us and there was one of the girls who stopped in pool hall we were at and I didn't know here but she was ranked on pro tour and she played in the 9 ball open event we were at .. my buddy was a junior champion in his 15/16 age bracket and plays very well today but not playing as much as he once did

He put 4-1 on her and I seen with my own eyes the possibilities at the level he was playing at was possible to compete with his abilities.

Fast forward few years I was looking to match his speed to be certain if I can't beat him my local buddy why venture out of state

So I looked up to him and we were grade school friends and never knew he was this talented in pool in fact he is the reason I played as much as did
    In 20 years it was 7-1 7-2 7-0 his lead today its 7-6 7-4 7-6 usually his lead but he won't give me weight and he shots scared
    I shot All In with commitment and usually goes in my favor but my speed is off
    I can shoot all of his shots and I feel I can kick better and bank far better with shape and he shots safes and defense better
    This is how he wins and this is why I can kick and bank better

His safes are not complicated and executable at very beginning pool player level but I have to give credit wher credit is due he is solid all around

I can break and run and I usually mess up on the last 2 balls trying to get shape on my key ball to the money ball
    In both 8-9 ball games

I won small bar tournys and won top shot and the most 8's and the most banked 8's through local leagues that last 12 weeks or so and not to be disrespectful they don't shoot like my buddy or seen a major tournament Neither have I but I shoot against semi pro and A++ players at the big tournaments locally

Metro Detroit and Bay City and Port Huron and Grand Rapids and Flint has semi pro if not pro players and to see these guys and girls in stroke and on a big table it's simply talent and most viewers don't know what it takes to get the ball to that area for proper angle to get to the next

It's no different than anyone that does something for a living and watch a beginner do it
    Here's the difference
    When you're at work ..there shooting pool
    When you're sleeping.. ther shooting pool
    When you're driving your car .. they don't have a car maybe not even a license.
    When you miss your kids b day party for a pool tournament then you better be damn good and bring home the money..
    and when you do it's probably 400-1200 .. without side hustle at the event
    Is it worth it ?? Eh
    When you b come a pro and everything is "comp'd" then wouldn't be so bad it's actually a curse probably.

I believe the highest paid annual salary of the number one guy today is about 70k which is what's published not saying it's not accurate but you get it

For this one individual to win ALL of the events at major international tournaments is unbelievable and most are double elimination race to 9 on A side race to 5 on b side 2500 entry

No thanks but could you imagine shooting pool then winning 20k in 2 days for 25 games or so
    Granted not your money entirely with sponsor but still
    Then you pull off the 8 ball event for another 20k same weekend
    Then you pull off the 9 ball
    Then you pull off the one pocket

And you do this 3 years in a row against interntional competition

Seriously tell me how much pool you would have to shoot it should be in the olympics but it will never make it because of the stereo typical vision people may have

Watch mosconi cup and look up Ralph soquet Shane van Boeing Alex pagulyan earl Strickland efren Reyes Jason Shaw Chris mellIng Darren Appleton
    Simply the worlds best and I'm leaving out many more not for any reason and no speciffic order listed
    Shane van Boening if you don't know him or haven't can heard of him he is USA born in North Dakota his parents were pool gods and his family is pure pool players so the story goes
    Shane in deaf and some people say that's a advantage maybe it is but it takes more than listening to do what he does
    Watch (1) video please it's a must
    Shane vs Earl Strickland "the decider" think it's race to 21
    Shane runs 8 racks possibly more
    Or watch Chris Mellings sickest pool shot it's a 4 rail kick very simple dead on easy to do shot but not with all that traffic and everything is lined up
    But leading up to that 4 rail kick is unbelievable talent that no one can teach and you can't read it in a book and you can't take a second chance at it in a match
    Sorry got carried away again

Kao Ming was the ranked pro my buddy beat 4-1 she knew the tournament director and visited her before the tourney that weekend it was a Thursday open tournament she was headed to soaring eagle that upcoming weekend

Was cool to see in person

When I say I play against A++ players I'm basically getting shut out lol
    I don't mean I'm hanging with him or her by no means I just watch very closely how I loose and practice that shot the next visit to a table

Everyone who is that good is not playing part time and there usually not married and are sponsored and shuttled in and out of intra states and internationally

My handi cap is 5 with Tap league possibly a solid 6 and flirt with 7 on some nights and should be a 4 most other nights

I am underestimated often but usually mess up on last 3 balls FML

Was out and about Sat.
    Quick stop at The Raft to use the restroom and to check out the pool table.
    The pool table is a regular one, nothing special, in constant use.
    Place is 1/2 size i remember it. Have to watch out for the front door when playing.
    Food smelled great. Everyone was eating.
    Place was packed. So was the whole strip along the bay.

Turned off road to take this pic. Tempted to drive on the ice playground. Was not supposed to be there. Park pass only.
    And they watch.
    Attachment 126588

Cool pic
    Spent a lot of time there.broke a lot of toys there too. We ride St. John's marsh under bridge and cross through canal back in the day

Now I'm city life surrounded and no fun for those toys where I'm at.

It's frozen to the bottom it's pretty shallow there btw

Wow the tourney story details are way over my head, but that's good. Makes more sense of the reaction when i took 3.
    The intensity of the pro game between opponents, levels of thinking going on unknown to amateurs like me.
    Pocket billiards and pool are terms used that sort of confuse me, as if pool describes a simple version or something.
    So much more control and strategy needed than realized. Am shy on skills about anything requiring commitment.

Side note: Thanks JP for this thread. Had lead to other thinking for me.
    Would have never scored two nice studio monitor 6" midrange speakers needed for my home system.
    The Raft pool table and an estate sale in New Haven were my reasons for the trip out there, passing on Autorama.
    After leaving sale on the way to check out the Raft table, kept thinking of those new speakers for a good price i passed on.
    Turned around and got them. Very happy i did they sound great.

Gosh what a dynamic area we live in. Within an hour can experience so many totally different worlds.
    Pool seems to be popular as ever, unlike maybe bowling.

Dynamic region for sure well stated.in our region you can enjoy seasonal hobbies with ease
    Being we don't see much snow you always have the bay when iced over

Pool and pocket billiards goes with the older generation and newer generation age wise I do believe
    Pocket billiards is what it means (pockets)
    Billiards is a game with no pockets and much talent required to hit your ball after 3 cushions once you understand what your watching and see it executed in front of you it's quite impressive
    Those tables (billiard) are heated and the rails are something you never imagine for cue ball "bounce"

Great find on the speakers!! If you drIve about 6 miles north you will come to a bar called Snoopys dog house good food and also catch 22 is good place to eat also

Heated table? Why?
    I remember setting up our 2nd table about getting the rail height right or something.
    And then some tables having different shaped pockets?
    Never figured out what snooker or bumper pool was about.

Yah been there once. Old crowd in daytime. The one with tight parking in back inches from the canal. Scary.
    Was right by Catch 22 when i went into Kroger. Got box of Paczki to tide me over until home.
    60's Sunday drive, Dad chose Bud's on the river for perch or pickerel, which was really prob walleye. Ma hated fish.
    Two places consistent for fresh fish dinners are Pat O'Briens, Jefferson/10 mile SCS and Lakepointe Yacht Club, Livonia.
    No pool tables but nice outdoor patios. O'Brien's has cool sheltered outdoor bar to watch traffic from.
    The small dockside tiki bar, at what is now the WaterMark bar, is special too. Day only. Too many Paris Hiltons there at night

Paris Hiltons funny stuff. I know the types. They try to keep getting into my 85 when I stop there just joking I'm married I wouldn't let them get in

Heated tables to rid humidity and moisture from cloth for action off cushions.. snooker is way intense and far harder to pocket a ball and cue ball action is multiplied by 10 with speed input/reaction off rail

Best women pool players are snooker champs from Europe or off shore for the most part
    Best meaning= ranked top 5 and consistantely winning so not a fluke and not your "off" day

For fish try further north yet by 10 miles to next town the name slips me but it's prob best fish other than what you mentioned which is by far top 3 to date for me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12