Close

FEP Senior Member

Default EFI engine test stand

Anybody ever build an EFI engine run stand using factory type SEFI parts? I’m not too concerned with the stand portion, but more of the wiring aspect. I’ve got all the key parts, including a 90 harness with an A9L computer. Basically everything else I have in triplicate. What is the minimum wiring components to make it all run so I can break in a motor?
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

You don't necessarily need everything shown, but here is the basic wiring needed for the SEFI.

Name:  EFI Wiring.png
Views: 132
Size:  12.5 KB

Obviously you could leave out the inertia switch and the self test connector, but not really sure what else you could delete or leave off and not have possible run issues. If you want to just do a break in, then obviously a carb might be an easier setup. If you want to actually test run the full EFI setup, then I would probably wire up everything as it would be in the car. That will allow you to verify and test everything. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

I like the accurate air/fuel ratios during the vital engine break in period. A carb is easier for sure, but needs tweaking to get running right. I’d rather rely on the computer to compensate for these variables early in the new motors life cycle.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

FEP Senior Member

Is there anything special regarding the starting system? I plan to run whatever flywheel that matches the engine balance, with a factory bellhousing and a stock starter. The bellhousing will be bolted to the run stand base to keep everything secure.

Do I just run a battery to a stock solenoid with keyswitch and a negative ground to the stand/block? Is it that simple?
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

I saw a box upper a while ago that puts a square carb on top of an 8 port EFI lower. Was pretty cool, would work good for breaking in a motor. Hell - put plate EFI on that and pop it through the hood just for show.

that would be easy. Mount a tray that holds a gas can high enough to do a gravity feed into an external 1989 f150 fuel pump. use flexible efi hose and -6an fittings from ebay into the OEM fuel rail. You could do the return line right back into the top of the gas can.

Wiring is ez...ground at the computer, then green plug has a green/yellow wire to fuel pump, then at the brown connector if memory serves is the red/green wire that gets key on power...other then that there should be a ring terminal that supplies the constant power to the harness that goes to the plus side of the battery. Using a 92/93 harness would be easiest because of the build in fuel pump relay
    Jeremy
    -86 mustang SSP X CHP Unit # 3788-bone stock & staying that way
    -66 Mustang, bench seat car,8.8,t5 fuel injected 92 engine
    -72 Maverick 5.0 resto in process
    -12SS Camaro 6 speed. 600 FWHP, Kraftwerks Supercharger
    -03 z71 Avalanche 9" lift on 35s Daily Driven 20k a year. 290k miles at 11.8 mpg
    Entire 1986 electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual download
    http://slantnosefox.com/picturehosti...g%20manual.zip