Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Just changed a Motorcraft battery out of my Explorer that had been in it since 2012. I've been very happy with Motorcraft. Having said that though, we have a battery rebuilder in the the area and can get rebuilds for $60 that are packed to twice the weight and last forever. Might be worth looking into for some if you have a rebuilder in your area. Cheap way to get a great battery with warranty.
    '03 Explorer Limited
    '85 LX
    '85 Twister II
    '89 LX
    '98 v6
    '77 Mach 1.....and I still own them all.

According to my catalog it is a BXT56A that should be in that vehicle. The 56 is the group number, most very battery company will use the group number to catalog their parts. I have one in stock and my Motorcraft supplier has one as well, the nice thing with a Motorcraft battery is they have a 3 year free replacement and will pro-rate from 37-84 months.

Now that we are in 2023 and this thread was started before the lovely pandemic... what are folks using for batteries in the factory battery tray in their 5.0 cars? Was trying to get a Napa (Legend Premium) #8458 and was told that their is no supply and they have the lesser quality (lower CCA and reserve) 7558 for the same price as the option - don't love that!
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

At the local Ford dealership, I purchased a battery for my '83 GT 5.0; Motorcraft BXL 58 A. With exchange, I paid $106.00 out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knebworth View Post
    At the local Ford dealership, I purchased a battery for my '83 GT 5.0; Motorcraft BXL 58 A. With exchange, I paid $106.00 out the door.
    Wow, great price! Was that recently, as in the last few months?

I just grabbed a Duracell SLI58 for $168 out the door for my '88 LX 5.0. We'll see how that works out.
    Mark

1986 GT Hatchback (2R): 5spd, TFS FAC 170s, TFS Stage 2 Cam, Vortech SQ S-Trim, MM Suspension, SN95 5-lug conversion w/Fox 5-lug rear axles, 3.73's, 13" / 11.65" brakes, Moates QuarterHorse
    '88 LX 5.0
    '22 GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Quikk86 View Post
    Wow, great price! Was that recently, as in the last few months?

I just grabbed a Duracell SLI58 for $168 out the door for my '88 LX 5.0. We'll see how that works out.
    It feels recent, but was a few years ago now. For more info; http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...0-00-Batteries
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 01-14-2023 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added link

FEP Power Member

A couple of things worth mentioning.
    -Motorcraft changed the warranty to 3 years, that's all.
    -As stated in the Motorcraft link, "Clarios makes Motorcraft Batteries. Formerly Johnson Controls was making these batteries, until late 2019, Brookfield Business Partners bought the Johnson Controls automotive battery business and formed Clarios LLC. However, the Motorcraft Batteries were explicitly made for the Ford and Lincoln Vehicles

Glad to hear they can be purchased still. My second option is Costco for Interstate but they don't carry our size. Next option is the Interstate store. Last I knew they were the same manufacturer.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Found the stock size battery at Rural King for $86.... Its an exide ( and I hate exide batteries) but for the price and it was IN STOCK, i splurged......

Grateful that Ford Motorcraft parts are still readily available so we don't need to use AC Delco!! :P
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 02-01-2023 at 08:05 PM. Reason: update

parts.ford.com has this available for order/local pickup for an 86' 5.0

I think I'm going to snag one just because.

There's a newer battery with a 4/22 sticker in there now, but I'm a simp for Motorcraft labels and parts under the hood.
    Last edited by ITdude87; 02-01-2023 at 04:59 PM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    Found the stock size battery at Rural King for $86.... Its an exide ( and I hate exide batteries) but for the price and it was IN STOCK, i splurged......
    Have a full part/model number on that? Home depot sells Exide by me, but they do not have one that fits an 86 fox.
    (and I never heard of Rural King).
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Power Member

The 58 series is easier to find than a 56 for sure. Just upgrade to 87-93 battery tray and it all fits like factory.

Tim, where are you finding a 56 series locally?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

I selected Borgman Ford over in Grandville for the location. I just gave it a try with Great Lakes Ford, and it has the same 1-2 day availability, but the price is $239 there (makes no sense to me).

IIRC you can get a discount on parts if you're a WMMC member as well, I haven't used this benefit, but I hear it exists.

Last edited by ITdude87; 02-03-2023 at 09:05 AM.
    1986 Mustang GT - 2A, 5 Sp
    2018 Subaru WRX (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN50 View Post
    The 58 series is easier to find than a 56 for sure. Just upgrade to 87-93 battery tray and it all fits like factory.

I upgraded to that and a group 65 on the LTD, can't on the Capri due to moving batt to pass side due to turbo,
    so rad hose limits battery width, and IC piping limits battery length.

86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

FEP Power Member

Wow that's a clean engine bay!
    I think the 58 is a little wider & maybe shorter in length, not a 100% sure?
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

FEP Senior Member

Yep, shorter and wider.
    Bleed Ford Blue! '84 Grabber Orange SVO, '88 Saleen 1 of 4 w/Automatic, '89 Steeda, '71 DeTomaso Pantera GT5 Wide Body EFI 4.6 DOHC...soon to be a Gen3 Coyote and some Old Ford Muscle w/ BB power. 1.21 Jigawatts!!?? PETRO EXPRESS=CITGO=BOYCOTT!
    State of Illinois - Taxation without Representation!

The Diehard Silver Group 56 is still available at Advance Auto Parts and a few other places. It's pretty much identical to the current/previous Motorcraft Group 56. If you're a little creative, I've heard even more is possible...
    Name:  battery.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  73.4 KB
    Name:  batterylabela.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  54.4 KB
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

Wow that's a clean engine bay!
    I think the 58 is a little wider & maybe shorter in length, not a 100% sure?
    Thanks on the "bay"!!

It's a little more than a little wider, 1-1/8" to be exact.
    Pretty sure I checked and it would not fix the 86 batt box, and
    the 87 up batt box won't fix pass side, due to AC lines coming off
    condenser.

https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html

Quote Originally Posted by 1986Saleen View Post
    The Diehard Silver Group 56 is still available at Advance Auto Parts and a few other places. It's pretty much identical to the current/previous Motorcraft Group 56. If you're a little creative, I've heard even more is possible...
    Name:  battery.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  73.4 KB
    Name:  batterylabela.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  54.4 KB
    Only $180, UGH!! I decided to go with the Motorcraft while it is still available.
    Ordered one for tomorrow. Also not cheap @149, but at least it looks "good" under the hood.
    Last edited by OX1; 02-03-2023 at 04:53 PM.

New User

Name:  IMG_3659.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  171.3 KB

I just finished upgrading a few things so i thought i would share what ive done. I am not a mechanic by any means. Just watched a lot of Scotty Kilmer lol. Car is a 1986 mustang GT 5.0, stock except for exhaust and cold air intake. I got sick of crap quality lead acid batteries and after an overcharging alternator most likely causing the battery to vent acid and eat the hood release cable as well as the metal body under the battery tray , I needed a long term solution. From these forums and googling others I learned that I could put an 1987 battery tray in place of the stock 1986 tray. the mounting bolts match up exactly. The power steering line was moved a little bit to allow the battery tray to fit but it was minimal. Before installing the new tray, I use a wire brush on my drill and stripped the surface rust on the body area below the tray that was starting to corrode. I covered engine with a old bedsheet as I didn't want anything on the engine from the stripping process. (I wore ear, eye protection, and a mask). Vacuum the area, clean with rubbing Alcohol , I then used por15 3-step stop rust kit. Worked very well. There was only surface rust but I stripped it right to shiny metal as I dont want it coming back. Its black but after battery is installed, but you cant tell (my car is white). I used a Energizer 96R AGM battery from Costco.ca that I got for about $230 I think. Thats Canadian Dollars. The battery block hold down is not deep enough to hold the battery down so I cut about a 1/4" block of hardwood the same area of the hold down block and glued it to the block overnight with an epoxy glue. I have to take a picture of that so i will remove it as I dont remember the exact dimensions but its easy to do. I scuffed the plastic hold down block with some sandpaper , wiped and cleaned with rubber alcohol before glueing. I you try another type of glue it wont hold to the plastic. The hood closes with no problem and the stock battery cables will fit. Its very tight lengthwise for the positive cable as I think its about 21" but it fits. I need a new positive battery cable as its corroded from the acid. I have on order a 25" SVO positive battery cable from Western motorsports which I think will work. I also have the stock negative cable on order as its corroded and it fits with the 32" ground to the engine. Before this, I upgraded the alternator with LMR alternator upgrade kit and as you can see I was able to screw down the alternator line to wood mounted inside the battery tray right beside the coolant overflow tank. The wood was cut to fit inside the tray and secured to the tray with a couple screws as the tray is too long for the 96R battery. By putting the wood in the tray on the side near the radiator overflow tank allows the battery to be further towards the firewall and have more clearance fro the hood. It also allows the mounting of the LMR alternator wire. The battery very secure. The alternator connections will short out eventually due to design so I highly recommend upgrading the alternator at the same time. I think I will be happy with this set up as there are limited battery choices, this battery is more powerful than stock, and AGM is far superior to lead acid in lifespan, it wont vent acid, and for vehicles that sit more. I will take a few more pics and measure the wood and add another post
    Name:  IMG_3635.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  167.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Have a full part/model number on that? Home depot sells Exide by me, but they do not have one that fits an 86 fox.
    (and I never heard of Rural King).
    I might be wrong.... I just looked all over the battery and found nothing about Exide on it?? Maybe I read it on Rural Kings Website.... I hope I did not POOMA that info???? 56-60 is all I found ( 60 month warranty).....
    Rural Kings stores are not in all states.. Great stores, kind of like a Tractor Store, but bigger..... Free coffee and popcorn when you walk in....
    One HUGE difference is the gun shop inside their stores..... Look up RKguns.com... Great way to order a " firearm" and then have it shipped to one of their stores for $13......

New User

Name:  IMG_3667.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  91.0 KBName:  IMG_3668.jpg
Size:  151.1 KBName:  IMG_3669.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  142.2 KBName:  IMG_3670.jpg
Size:  161.0 KBName:  IMG_3671.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  158.2 KB

update on my post above. here are the pictures of the small piece of wood I attached to the side of the hold down block with epoxy glue (its painted black). I was mistaken on my above post, i said the wood was required due to depth, but its because the hold down block is not wide enough. the block is 1/2" wide and the length of the hold down block. (solid wood)
    I cut wood 2 1/4 wide by 8.5" long (the width of the battery tray). the wood is 1.5" high so it sits above the height of the lip of the battery tray. I secured it to the tray with a screw before installing the tray into the car. I think predrilled holes (so the wood would not split). and mounted the lmr alternator wire box to the wood

New User

Name:  IMG_3672.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  85.0 KB

one more pic. side view of 8.5" block in battery tray with lmr alternator line mounted to the wood.

So the 58A is an Aero Battery? I wish I knew that before buying it
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 04-06-2023 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added

I was at Rural King today and there was a large sign in the Battery aisle saying the battery's are from Exide.... Glad my mind hasn't gone yet..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12