Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battery replacement for 5.0

What makes and battery size's are good in Foxbody's?

When I got my Fox about 5 years ago I went through a few Duralasts to learn they don't last. Die Hard doesn't have a battery that is correct for for 84 5.0. I ended up with the Advanced Auto Auto Craft which worked Ok I guess but its failing now the warranty is up.

A while back a guy in local Ford dealership wanted to sell me an oversized Motosrcraft that would have required removing the battery tray. Didn't wanna do that.

I think I have a bad cell in the Auto Craft. The last 2 times I tried to have it charged at Autozone they told me it had a bad cell, but when I take it to Advanced, they say its fine and they say it took a charge.

Any suggestions?

I've had excellent luck with Interstate. The battery in my Ranger is 10 years old and going strong, Mustang battery is 8 years old and going strong.

When the battery in the Mustang finally dies, I'm going to try one of these:

https://shoraipower.com/lfx36l3-bs12-p130

I've had a Shorai battery in my ATV for 6 or 7 years without any issues. Sat through a Minnesota winter in storage, fired right up last spring. They have a very low self discharge rate and a lot of cranking power. The weight is comically light.
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

FEP Power Member

You don’t list your year. The Motorcraft bxt63 has been replaced by the bxt56. I looked this up for my buddies SVO.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    You don’t list your year. The Motorcraft bxt63 has been replaced by the bxt56. I looked this up for my buddies SVO.
    I have an 84 LX 5.0 convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    BXT 56 looks like it's discontinued, when I look it up.

I got the bxt56 last fall at my local auto parts store. They had to order it.

Water boils out in summer then battery craps out in winter.
    Water level in cells should be checked spring and fall. Covers pry off.

Best looking were Motorcraft black top with white translucent case.
    You could see the water level. Would have kept mine had i known they would disappear.
    A local battery rebuilder could rebuild a wore out one if stock case look is desired.

Industrial batteries are rebuilt all the time. Work, look, like new. Leased. Case is reused. Changed out every few years.
    Exide is one main brand. Water is checked after charging. Filtered tap water, rolling water tank and pump.
    Those batteries have a quick connect and hoses installed to the cells. Pump shuts off automatically when filled.
    Company even had an Exide rep come in to instruct. Add water after charging, not before. Got a free pen.

Changed the Mustang's battery tray to the biggest that would fit to allow flexibility. From a Dodge Caravan.
    Lower profile 96R group working nicely. Went with Exide in 2015. Fine so far. WM Everstarts are n/g.
    My Ranger gets Motorcraft. BXT-65 650 or 750. On #3 since 1993. Last one from dealer. Same price as stores.
    Last edited by gr79; 03-10-2019 at 12:39 PM.

You can still find the BXT 56 battery at some of the larger Ford dealerships. I just purchased one last fall. Call around any dealerships in your area, most of them are linked with other dealers and can have batteries shipped to the location closest to you.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Right or best battery really depends upon what you are doing .......

I won’t be caught dead with less than an 850 cca battery in my 86GT — the stereo amplifiers pull a lot of current. It averages out so the battery doesn’t go dead but the spikes cause so many amp hours of drain if I don’t go big the smaller amp-hour batteries melt down. Hell, sometimes they even explode!

I know ..... a 65 amp alternator and over 1000 watts of stereo doesn’t exactly mix. Should have went 3G decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Best were the ones with the Motorcraft black top and translucent white case.
    You could see the water level. Should have kept mine had i known they would disappear.
    A local battery rebuilder could do a wore out one if stock case look is desired.

Water boils out in summer, craps out in winter. Cells should be checked 2x/yr. Covers pry off.

Industrial batteries are rebuilt all the time. Work, look, like new. Leased. Case is reused. Changed out every few years.
    Exide is the main brand. Water was checked every day. Filtered tap water, rolling water tank and pump.
    Those batteries have a quick connect and hoses installed to the cells. Pump shuts off automatically when filled.
    Company even had an Exide rep come in to instruct. Add water after charging, not before. Got a free pen.

Changed the Mustang's battery tray to the biggest that would fit to allow flexibility. From a Dodge Caravan.
    Lower profile 96R group working nicely. Went with Exide in 2015. Fine so far. WM Everstarts are n/g.
    My Ranger gets Motorcraft. BXT-65 650 or 750. On #3 since 1993. Last one from dealer. Same price as stores.
    Tell me more about this caravan battery tray. I bought a project without a tray and was wondering about interchange. it's an 84 vert as well.

Went to the pic-a-part in 2006 looking for a new larger battery tray for the Mustang. For less than 20.00.
    Car is a 79, battery on ps. 56 group std. Hard to find. Replacement trays are not bigger. 84 prob same.
    Wanted to install group 96R like the new Mustangs have.
    1" wider than 56, 2" lower. Group 58 similar, 1"+ wider. 65 too big.
    Pick was based on what battery groups were least expensive for size and readily available anywhere.
    Has lower profile, high power capy. More hood clearance in case battery came loose from crappy roads here.
    Had the dimensions with me. Had to find a vehicle with similar shape battery tray only bigger.
    Mustang one is flat and has additional risers/support underneath to contact the frame rail.

Easiest one to pull was from a 80's? Dodge Caravan. Was easy to remove, plastic, fasteners not rusty. Nothing special.
    Some trays are welded in so those were not an option.
    Was a test install, planning on getting something else if it did not work out. Had to mod it a little to install.
    Think i bolted some wood under there to support it.
    Prob are better matches made since then, but is working fine. Cannot get a bigger tray in there.
    Battery hold downs should match. I use ss fasteners so rust is not a problem 5+ years later when removing battery.
    The hold down bracket hole cracked, so may be looking to replace it. Or just fix with different hold down bracket.

Lots of bigger cars, trucks use bigger batteries and trays. If car is not for show, anything goes.

https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html

The premium NAPA batteries are very good. They carry sizes 55 and 56, I think yours uses a 56.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Went to the pic-a-part in 2006 looking for a new larger battery tray for the Mustang. For less than 20.00.
    Car is a 79, battery on ps. 56 group std. Hard to find. Replacement trays are not bigger. 84 prob same.
    Wanted to install group 96R like the new Mustangs have.
    1" wider than 56, 2" lower. Group 58 similar, 1"+ wider. 65 too big.
    Pick was based on what battery groups were least expensive for size and readily available anywhere.
    Has lower profile, high power capy. More hood clearance in case battery came loose from crappy roads here.
    Had the dimensions with me. Had to find a vehicle with similar shape battery tray only bigger.
    Mustang one is flat and has additional risers/support underneath to contact the frame rail.

Easiest one to pull was from a 80's? Dodge Caravan. Was easy to remove, plastic, fasteners not rusty. Nothing special.
    Some trays are welded in so those were not an option.
    Was a test install, planning on getting something else if it did not work out. Had to mod it a little to install.
    Think i bolted some wood under there to support it.
    Prob are better matches made since then, but is working fine. Cannot get a bigger tray in there.
    Battery hold downs should match. I use ss fasteners so rust is not a problem 5+ years later when removing battery.
    The hold down bracket hole cracked, so may be looking to replace it. Or just fix with different hold down bracket.

Lots of bigger cars, trucks use bigger batteries and trays. If car is not for show, anything goes.

https://www.jegs.com/Sizecharts/bcigroup.html
    thanks for the info. and yeah passenger side as well.

I splurged and got an Optima Red Top. Lots of CCA and looks good too!
    Current Mustangs:
    82 Silver GT - 5.0L crate motor, Tremec 3550 5 spd tranny, SVO brake kit, 8.8 rear end with 373s
    05 Legend Lime Fastback - some mods
    05 Screaming Yellow Vert - even more mods including Edelbrock blower

Carparts shop had group 56 batteries. But they don't fit in the 79 tray. One hold down flange (at the fenderside of the tray) hooks under the hooks in the tray. But the front side hook (engine side) does prevent the batterie to drop in place. Do you know the full group nummer 56*****? Or have a picture hoe the batterie should look like? Trying to keep the car original.
    Thanks so much.
    Hans.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

I definitely need a new battery. If I shut off the car then immediately try to re start it the battery fades. But if I wait 5 minutes it cranks right up. its an Advanced Auto battery 1 year past 2 year warranty. A good battery should last a few years beyond warranty. Thats why i dont want another Auto Zone or Advanced Auto battery again.

Sears doesn't have a Die Hard for my car so the best option I could find is an Interstate MT-56. Anybody used one of these?

Default not a sales pitch

Go back to a good Ford dealer and order a Motorcraft. BXT56A is listed for 117.00-129.00.
    Depends if dealer sells at MSRP of 129 or gives customer a decent discounted price (a good dealer).
    Chain stores are selling batteries for about the same prices, unless store discount coupon is available.

Again, group number with an 'R' places positive terminal near the solenoid, if on pass side, negative near radiator.
    That is one main reason i went with a 96R. Not all groups or brands offer both std and reverse terminal configurations.
    A std terminal battery works if battery is orientated with posts on the fender side.
    R type allows posts to be on engine side.
    Did not like posts up so high near hood (56 group) and on the fender side. 58, 65 groups too big.
    Mainly when jumping or recharging at home, posts were too close to metal body parts for me.
    With posts on engine side, can recharge battery with hood down. Breathing room, piece of mind.
    Updated to a wider tray because 96 group battery is wider than a 56.
    Is not as long, shorter in height, better specs. Easy to find a replacement if it craps out on the road someday.
    96 group is used in 2005-18 Mustang and many other Fords (over 500 apps). 2000+ era vehicles with more ele loads.

NY https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/el...%2F8bVUwK1w%3D
    Dallas https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/el...cLvVwsPAuFU%3D

http://machenry.com/documents/batteryspecs.pdf
    Last edited by gr79; 03-18-2019 at 05:02 PM.

The dealerships are networked. Those batteries are still out there. If you dealership doesn't have one, i'm sure they can locate one. Again, I bought a new Motorcraft battery for my 84 last Fall.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I called 3 local Ford dealers about the Motorcraft. BXT56A battery. All said it cost $130 and all said I have to order it paying in full and pick it up a day later.

So is the Motorcraft. BXT56A the best option? The dealers weren't able to tell me the actual original part number for the stock battery. Must be so old it fell out of the system.

Im totally in favor of the motorcraft. Besides originality and looks it has a much better warranty than any other battery I looked at. The Interstate has 2 year replacement and its 5 bucks more than the Motorcraft. The Motorcraft has a 3 year replacement and 5 additional years pro rate warranty.

The $130 sounds about right. I paid $129 plus tax. This one I bought as a spare as I've got another Motorcraft battery in the car now that I installed in 2013. It still works fine, but basically is only used in warm weather. This what is in there now. The new one looks a little different.

Name:  IMG_2066.jpg
Views: 1922
Size:  97.0 KB
    Last edited by smitty54; 03-13-2019 at 07:17 PM.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

BXL RSRP 100, BXT 130
    Revewing my database of the car, think oe was a 56 group back in 1980.
    Motorcraft MF-62 8/24/84
    Motorcraft BR-56 4/15/85 (alt harness fried due to shorted carb choke assy, possibly ruined battery).
    Motorcraft BXL-62 10/7/1997.
    Motorcraft BXL-62W 11/25/2000 warranty replacement.
    Overall have had 36R, 56, MF-62, BXL-62 and 96R groups. Ave life about 6 years.
    Next battery for car will be Motorcraft. Same prices as brand X. more consistent quality.
    As if the Motorcraft batteries that fail muster get rebranded but sold at same price.

The Ranger is on #3 Motorcraft BXT-65 since 1993. Replaced oem in 2000, current one in 2013. Is still fine.
    When that one goes, its back to the dealer for another BXT-65 650 or 750.
    Both the car and truck have been driven almost same amt of years, car being down 13.
    Car has used 2x as many batteries as the truck.
    Car has large case 1g 70a ext reg alternator vs truck's 95a 3g. On alt #3 in both.

I picked up a BXT56A from local Ford dealer today. looks nice in the engine compartment and a much better warranty than store bought batteries.

Just curious, I was thinking that Ford starters are known for failing when they get hot. Mine was changed when i did my engine swap 2 summers ago. but its an Auto Zone starter. If I still have problems re starting after the car is hot it may be the starter. Is there a better manufacturer for foxbody starters?

Name:  Resized_20190315_162459_7607.jpg
Views: 1885
Size:  92.7 KB

Can someone please make a picture of the battery mounted in the 79-86 tray, specifically of the area with the clamp in view.
    I ask because we can't get the motorcraft battery here. And there are different mounting options. A standard group 56 battery of the shelf here does NOT fit.
    Thanks in advance,
    Hans.

I just ordered a Motorcraft BXT-56 battery and new new cables for my 1980. I'll send you a pic when I get them installed.

That's great. Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast