Close

Thread: gas gauge test

Default gas gauge test

Have 83 capri, gas gauge stopped working, just reads empty, how can I test the gauge at the sending unit plug ? tank is out. Sending unit seems like its working,reads 61ohms empty, 12 full
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Sounds like your sender is functioning, at least electrically. You can plug your sender back in and manipulate it manually and see if the gauge functions. If the gauge works with the sender out of the tank, then it sounds like your float is not floating anymore.

Same thing happened to mine, fuel gauge never worked. Decided one day to drop the tank. Pulled sender out and checked it expecting it to be bad, ohm'd out fine though. Plugged it back in, gauge worked. Pulled the foam float off and made a replacement from brass sheet stock. Has worked fine ever since.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

Test the wire going between the sender and low fuel warning module for any breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984GTTurboVert View Post
    Test the wire going between the sender and low fuel warning module for any breaks.
    I agree, also if you have your cluster out. You can test like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJYuUzvgm9k

I tried this on mine, and it works great

Low fuel light turns on when the sending unit is unplugged, shuts off when plugged in whether I make the sending unit read full or empty.

Problem solved, it was the voltage regulator behind the gauge cluster.