Close

Default SVO Aluminum Flywheel

Hi all,

My first real post here. I’m done some researching on the internet but not quite sure yet. I have a ‘79 Carb Turbo Pace Car that I bought an SVO World class T5 to swap into my car. I bought a XTR Stage 3 clutch to install in it as well. I know I have to resurface my current flywheel when installing the new clutch and transmission. My questions are: I was assuming that my current flywheel will work with the new clutch and T5. Was that a correct assumption. Second question is: If I install an SVO Aluminum flywheel will I need dowel pins to center it properly? I was reading that if dowel pins were’nt used it would introduce chatter. Other folks said it didnt’ matter.

By the way I’m currently having my carb turbo, and compressor housing ported and head Stage 3 ported by BoPort. I have a carb guy modifying my carb to boost reference it. And I have a Snow Performance Methanol kit for it. I just want to see what I can do in the carb configuration. I can always go EFI later if I need to. Thanks in advance for your help. I did search the forums here but didn’t see exactly the information I was looking for.

Flywheels are engine and bellhousing specific. The trans has no idea what flywheel is being used. As long as your clutch disc is a 10 spline it will work with the T5. I assume you are using a T5 2.3 bellhousing? On the issue of dowl pins, I have used a flywheel without them, but I will not reccomend it be done. Will it work? Yes. Is it correct? No.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FWIW, I would not run an aluminum flywheel on a street car. There is just not enough flywheel mass/inertia to get the car moving easily from a stop. Been there, done that.

Did rev nice though!
    86 SVO 1E- Not stock
    2012 GT/CS M6 3.55's- Also not stock
    2003 Honda CBR 954- Old track toy

I second that aluminum flywheel for the street isn't so great. I put one in an 85.5 I used to own and hated it.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

There are usually lighter weight steel flywheels in the aftermarket. The V8 guys are enjoying the 22 lb wheel from Autozone big time - it’s still heavy enough not to bog the V8’s and is 8 lbs lighter than stock

The other option is to have a stock wheel resurfaced many times until much of the meat and therefore weight is gone. When you get down to the last few clutch jobs it will be vastly lighter. Expect to need to shim the flywheel at the crank or use an adjustable release pivot ball though. If you don’t you will HATE the pedal effort when trying to release the clutch

There is usually a sweet spot weight vs flywheel mass. I haven’t been around the SVO enough to know what that sweetspot is but perhaps someone here knows what to suggest

Dont overlook weight of the clutch and pressureplate — these are just as big of a deal as the flywheel.

A heavy clutch disc contributes to bog during takeoff and slows down revving up which is the worse of both worlds.

Heavy pressureplate and flywheel and clutch serve like a sledge hammer to the trans during hard gear shifts too
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-16-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks. I think I'll skip the aluminum flywheel for now, and just resurface my current one. I may try the aluminum one later.

The bolts between the PP and flywheel do not center the two parts to each other. It is the job of the pins to accurately center them to each other.

NEVER install a PP without the pins to center it on the flywheel.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support