Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Well i finished my gear change and the only stupid thing i did was install the carrier pin before i replaced the axles lol. I was so excited about getting a good contact pattern i got ahead of myself. Man do those gears make a diff.
    1984 convertible 5.0 auto.

I guess the next phase is suspension. Not as exciting as engine work but just as important...i guess lol

Well I've got front bushings and ball joints on the way. Also picking up a set of struts tomorrow as well. Hopefully riding fine by wed instead of rattling down the road.

Well crap... looks like up till 87 the spindles had a wider strut mount and if i want any kind of choices in struts i gotta change to the later spindles. At least if i do that I'll have better brakes up front. Always something lol

You can put the later struts on the earlier spindles if you are willing to do a little grinding:

Yes I understand that most people on here will tell you that it's worth changing to the later spindles for the better brakes and to go to 5 lug wheels, but to me that's a matter of perception. I never had any problem slowing from a 118 trap speed with my puny brakes, nor did I ever feel disadvantaged with 4 lug wheels.

Right or wrong the way I saw the bigger brake issue is that I can lock the front wheels with the brakes I have now so how could having more braking power up front help? Granted that over repeated braking there would be less fade with bigger brakes, so that might be a factor if you daily drive the car.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

I agree, other than more choice in 5 lug wheels I also do not see the advantage in the" better" brakes. I have driven on freeways and have had to make a couple of panic stops in a row and very little fade, could still lock them up when heated. So there must be something I don't understand, please school me on this.

Maximum braking force does not include being able to "Lock up" the brakes front or rear. That is not an indicator of how "Good" the brakes are. Virtually any brakes can be "Locked Up" with nothing more than stabbing the brakes at high speeds.

Braking performance should be judged by overall stopping distance, fade resistance, repeat-ability, some other points, and overall driver feel and confidence. How you drive the car, where you drive the car, and what you expect from a car can have a huge affect on what you consider "Good Brakes"

I don't have time to look up all the different years, but for the 1982 model the GT braking distances were according to Road & Track: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...rd-mustang-gt/

60-0 MPH 186 feet
    80-0 MPH 312 feet

As an example in the Road and Track test of the 1987 GT vs 1986 IROC Z28: http://www.iroc-z.com/articles/artic...ackarticle.htm

60-0 MPH 168 feet (18 ft less than the 1982 model)
    80-0 MPH 289 feet (23 ft less than the 1982 model)

For comparison the 200+ lbs heavier IROC Z with 4 wheel disc (although 10.5" front rotors compared to 10.9")

60-0 MPH 159 feet (9 ft less than the 1987 GT)
    80-0 MPH 261 feet (27 ft less than the 1987 GT)

Obviously, driver, road conditions, tires, weather conditions, etc. will all have an affect on the overall braking performance and stopping distances. The 87+ V8 brakes are an improvement over the Four Eyes setup. If you are a cruiser that doesn't push your car to the limits or you only need heavy braking occasionally such as the end of the drag strip, then there may be no need to swap out for the later model setup. Also adding a set of high quality pads to the front brakes on the Four Eyes will make a huge improvement in most cases.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I was mostly going for the additional choice in struts with braking being an added benefit. I love my turbine wheels and don't see changing them in the near future. I did think about having my spindles machined and it did make me wonder about grinding them narrower. Something to consider i guess. Thanks for everyone's input.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    You can put the later struts on the earlier spindles if you are willing to do a little grinding:

Yes I understand that most people on here will tell you that it's worth changing to the later spindles for the better brakes and to go to 5 lug wheels, but to me that's a matter of perception. I never had any problem slowing from a 118 trap speed with my puny brakes, nor did I ever feel disadvantaged with 4 lug wheels.

Right or wrong the way I saw the bigger brake issue is that I can lock the front wheels with the brakes I have now so how could having more braking power up front help? Granted that over repeated braking there would be less fade with bigger brakes, so that might be a factor if you daily drive the car.
    Did you grind everything from the outside or equally from both sides?

Trey, I get your point. That all makes sense, I just use my car as a cruiser so my brakes have served me well. I just don't understand why it seems like most people who buy a fox with 4 lug seems desperate to change to 5 lug right away and they always mention it's for the better brakes. I think the newer tires have a better traction rating than the old school tires from the 80's so maybe there would be a big difference in stopping distance, as shown, had they had the stickier tires back in the day. If I am correct the best braking is just short of locking up, then it's all in road condition and tire traction.

Quote Originally Posted by rich75043 View Post
    Did you grind everything from the outside or equally from both sides?
    It's been 8 years since I did that and my memory isn't the greatest but I'm pretty sure I did all the grinding from one side. Also as I recall it wasn't really that much material to remove, I think 1/8" which went quick with an angle grinder.

And while I'm sure the surface wasn't perfectly flat I've never had any problem with it.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Thanks for the info. Well i got one side done. What a pita to get the fwd control arm bolt out as you have to unbolt the steering rack to lift it outta the way. Hopefully the rain will hold off so i can do the other side. I did manage to source a complete front spindle, rotor, calipers, brake hoses and a complete set of koni oranges for only 60 bucks woot woot. Still staying 4 lug tho. Love my wheels... guess I'm a nostalgic kinda guy Haha i love that old rattle trap more and more every day

Jeeze louise i was testing and i said what the hell, I'll check out my engine bay in the dark to check for wire leaks. Wires were ok, no sparks in the dark. But.... every damn plug boot was lit up...wtf lol

Well i guess my jeep got jealous again. Driving down the highway started to feel a vibration and thought maybe it was the rumble patterns they put in... WRONG lol. Pulled over and smoke was billowing from my 4wd driveshaft cv joint. Lucky me.

I agree — great pads on the four eyed brakes help a ton. So does properly functioning drum brakes out back. Also an adjustable proportioning valve so you can dial in more rear brake

I had a serious lead foot addiction and pretty well drove 140+ everywhere I went for a few years in my early 20’s. Burned up 7 sets of brakes in a two month period before I found out about performance compounds, etc. they sucked a lot less after switching and did not burn up nearly as often.

Maxinum Motorsports makes a kit designed for the 87-93 spindle that does some good things. It still uses rear drum but stops in 114 ft from 60 mph. Comparatively the 1986 SVO which had the bigger calipers and 4 wheel disc was 159 ft. 1993 Cobra street version (4 lug) is 148 ft. Can’t seem to find stats on the 93 Cobra R but it ran SN95 brakes and 5 lug.

I mostly went off on the brakes on my 86GT. 94-95 spindles, urethane bushings in the control arms, 99 GT dual piston calipers, Baer drilled and slotted rotors, high end pads, braided lines, 1” bore master cyl, complete 95GT rear end, adjustable proportioning valve, etc. I also crammed 245/45/17’s under it. That combo stops way shorter than many cars. Like right now type stopping. My good friend’s 86 has 2003 Cobra brakes in front and his stops the same but fades less on back to back punishment.

For my 85 build I stayed 4 lug. I still went disc in the rear. Not sure what it will do but it should be pretty decent with the parts going on it. I’m expecting around 110 ft.

the 5 lug setup on my 86 will for sure remain dominant and stop in even less distance

Reqd the braking upgrade and brake conversion threads for info

The brakes on my 1986 have saved my bacon by mere inches a few times already. I won’t go back

My son’s 86 with high end pads is in the 140 foot 60-0’realm.
    Last edited by erratic50; 04-17-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Well i found me an aftermarket hood and i like it so that makes it ok lol now what the heck am i gonna do with my oem. I guess storage shed for now with all the other leftovers HahaName:  20190422_171138.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  123.0 KB

Name:  20190423_163248.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  72.9 KB

Well i got most of the nasty ass paint off of there. A pleasant surprise was only 3 little nicks on the whole hood.

Name:  20190426_225958.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  91.1 KB
    Finally scored my front spindles and stuff along with some koni stuff and a coil bracket i needed. Also came with a battery that will hopefully take a charge.

Swapping out my original brakes has given me nothing but headaches. I wouldn't blame anyone at all who didn't want to do the swap.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Swapping out my original brakes has given me nothing but headaches. I wouldn't blame anyone at all who didn't want to do the swap.
    What exactly is the issue? Any insight would be most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rich75043 View Post
    What exactly is the issue? Any insight would be most appreciated.
    Well, some of it was lack of experience, as well as plain ol' bad luck. I've had sticking used rear calipers, parking brake cables pulling too hard on calipers causing brake drag, wheel rubbing issues from the wheel flanges being moved farther out, which most 5 lug conversions do, having a strain on front soft lines because the end of the hard line in the wheel wells was in a different spot than the soft lines were designed for, stubborn air in the hydraulic lines, rear brakes not being proportioned properly because of a sticking pressure differential valve.... I think I covered it all. I just can't help but think if I'd never started down the 5-lug disc brake conversion road, I would be a much happier person right now!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Ah gotcha. Well fortunately I'm sticking with the 4 lugs for now as i really love my turbines but still wanted the huge selection of front strut choices vs the limited selection of the wider ears on the pre 87s.

Name:  20190428_110402.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  98.6 KB
    I came across these today. Couldn't pass them up. When i picked them up the guy said he was going to install them in a Capri. Small world.

Name:  20190501_212655.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  99.1 KB

I came across this today. A nice sn95 rear end with 4.10s and a traction loc. Thinking of putting my 4lugs and drum hardware on for now until i source the other needed hardware.

Careful, looks like it's being sold by a Decepticon...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast