Close

Default Gas tank removal

My 1982 Capri 200 l6 carburetor bowl runs out of fuel, It値l die randomly and won稚 start again until it sits a while then it値l fill again, is the problem the float? Is it possible for the gas tank to get dirty and clog the line? Mechanical pump works when line is removed. Also is there a sock filter in the tank? I usually Bounce the back of the car and it helps, I知 lost , carburetor is not original and bought from national carburetor. (About 1 year old), probably going to drop the tank and work from there, what tools would I need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Aaron558; 02-11-2019 at 08:45 PM.

FEP Member

double tap...
    Last edited by Monty78; 02-11-2019 at 10:10 PM.

FEP Member

Yah get a carb rebuild kit, rockauto has them on sale.

Are you saying the car will stay running if you run a line from the pump into a remote tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty78 View Post
    Yah get a carb rebuild kit, rockauto has them on sale.

Are you saying the car will stay running if you run a line from the pump into a remote tank?
    I meant I removed the line to see if the pump works just by cranking, it does, I was thinking maybe the pump is getting weak. Maybe a rebuild kit will fix the problem.. sorry for not explaining

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron558 View Post
    My 1982 Capri 200 l6 carburetor bowl runs out of fuel, It値l die randomly and won稚 start again until it sits a while then it値l fill again, is the problem the float? Is it possible for the gas tank to get dirty and clog the line? Mechanical pump works when line is removed. Also is there a sock filter in the tank? I usually Bounce the back of the car and it helps, I知 lost , carburetor is not original and bought from national carburetor. (About 1 year old), probably going to drop the tank and work from there, what tools would I need?

How were you able to establish that that is what's happening? Took the carburetor apart when it quit? Fuel pumps don't fill up carburetor float bowls when they're not functioning. If the float bowl is indeed going low or dry (which shouldn't be an issue unless deep into the throttle... idling wouldn't/shouldn't be affected, unless more toward the "dry" scenario), I'd be checking the carburetor fuel filter for resistance or blockage, a float/fuel level too low, etc... whatever can cause a shortage of fuel. Dirt in tank or sock filter? You bet it's possible. Remove the suction (tank) line from the fuel pump and send some air pressure back it, by lung power or an air compressor... somebody listening for bubbling in the gas tank back at the fill neck is helpful. The running getting extinguished could also be an overrich condition snuffin' 'er out. Lots of fuel smell?...

* and check that the tank vent is open... a vacuum feeling or sound upon removing the fuel fill cap, while or right after the engine's been running, is an indication that the fuel tank vent is plugged... which fuel pumps do not like at all...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 02-12-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/