Close

Default Need Measurement of 87-93 Disc / Hub / Caliper

Working on custom wheels and need measurements for fitment. I am still on my factory 79 setup so hope someone with factory 87-93 brakes can provide measurements of the disc/hub diameter and length with the dust cap on. Additionally, need the distance of the caliper from the hub and its distance from the disc face. See pics. Thanks in advance.

Name:  hub height.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  caliperclearance_2229_large.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  9.1 KB

The end of the spindle sticks about 1/4” into the cap. The rest is dead space. When fitting wheels we would heat the end up the end and pound a socket that just slips into the cap with a pretty significant amount of force. It squares out the cap and shortens it’s height so it just clears the spindle and gives you room for several wheels that otherwise won’t fit go on or go on with a 1/8”-1/4” spacer

The rotors have dementions listed on some parts sites. For example
    https://m.autozone.com/brakes-and-tr...location=Front

The 1993 Cobra uses a rotor that goes on the 87-93 V8 and 82-83 Continental / 84-86 SVO spindles but it is puts the wheels 3/4” further outward than the normal Mustang and SVO and LS rotors do. Less spindle left to clear. But it is 4 lug. I believe I’ve seen 5 lug rotors before that have the 93 Cobra track width. It’s very helpful in clearing the A arm with wide wheels. Drifter parts bin??

if you are ordering wheels anyway you can target wheels with similar backspace and offset to the 93 Cobra and get by with the 87-93 style spindles while having better wheel options. If you use that approach the 94-98 Mustang (5 lug) and 87-88 Turbo Coupe (4 lug) rear axles also have 3/4” more track width than a normal Mustang.

tall hat rotor or spacers can help with clearing caps

94-95 spindles give a much shorter cap height while staying around the same width and open up wheel options