Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to Me Fresh Take.

Hello, My fresh start with a new to me car, I won't write all the background again but it is in the introduction thread of what this car means to me under East coast Canadian. So I dont have access to a garage, but they were selling 10x10 portable sheds the other day so I got one and made temporary workshop, I'm doing headgaskets on my 86 Capri RS , its kinda nasty weather but the front of the car is in the tent, i pick at it after work. Iv also had a lot of financial setbacks, but 2019 is shaping up very good so far. I'm very excited for spring and glad I found a forum that is about the love of the cars and what they mean to the individuals that have them. Here is my tent workshop before I pulled the heads. I have wirer some lights in and have a salamander diesel heater I run to warm it up inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I bet it gets cozy as long as there's no heavy wind.

i have used one of those tents, they work ok but have their limitations. keep the snow off it if at all possible. make sure you really secure the four corners the wind will whip that thing all over the place. they do work for cheap money.

Off work in 20 min, by the time I get home it will be midnight, me and the dog will go out to the tent and tinker for a few hours, finish doing the headgaskets, and run some new heater hoses, install the pcv system, few other little things, also picked up a mechanical advance kit for the distributor, going to make some adjustments, I'm not happy with how it was set up, also going to connect the vacum advance, mostly minor details to get everything set up.

Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had got some winter storms, progress has been slow because work has been busy. I drive a wrecker by day, and sometimes night. But I now have the engine all buttoned up, recurved the dist, got the 180 deg thermostat installed , seems to run good , but haven't road tested yet, can't get it to the pavement. Here is the headgasket that blew on #6Name:  IMG_20190217_110454.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  39.1 KBName:  IMG_20190217_110506.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  37.8 KB

Finally a great clear dry day, but it is -15. Got the car out, did small road test, works good, but I have an issue with the msd ready to run dist. Msd says the vac advance is 10 deg, but it is actually more like 20 deg, so that isnt gonna work. The vac canister isnt adjustable so I'm going to make a limiter plate to limit the movement of the vac canister rod. Should only take a few min to do, but thats for a warmer day.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Nice Capri

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    Nice Capri
    Thanks

Debating on changing the wheels , looking at different tire sizes, right now the Capri has staggered tires front and rear and the 16" pony wheels, I have 2 sets of 10 holes and in the works of putting a set of turbine wheels together. I really like the turbine wheels, tonight I mounted and balanced 2 turbine wheels and a pair of 225-60 15, never got them on the car yet. Its cold outName:  IMG_20190221_230559.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  66.6 KB
    Last edited by CrazyCanuk; 02-22-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Beautiful 86 Capri, IMO keep the wheels that are on it now
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

Nice car! I vote for the turbines

Can send you a shovel for those turdbine if needed. Lol

just not a fan on non-aero cars. I thumbs down pony wheels on Four Eyed cars too for what it’s worth.

I second the turbines. I just put a set on mine so I might be a bit biased lol

Study your advance curve carefully. Factory stuff called for 10 base and pulls in another 16-18 or so if memory serves.

How much timing is neded and/or tolerated depends upon so many factors. Fuel type/grade, compression, etc. the one most often overlooked is not the type of head but rather the head’s tendency to swirl. E6 heads swirl vastly, as do several heads from Edelbrock. And that’s not to say some of those heads aren’t good or even great for power production.

With my 86GT running E6 heads 13.5 degrees of base timing is the outer max of what it will put up with. Add another .5 and it’s tempd will skyrocket and power will drop off drastically and feel like it’s at about 8 degrees of base, not 14. Add equal shorty or long tube headers and get more scavaging and it behaves itself at 14 for the most part, but I don’t run it there as the headers will glow red on a hot summer day there.

With my 89LX running E7 heads, 14.5 is where it would start to act the same as the 86. Same headers and exhaust on that car at one time. Back then it tolerated 15 but did the same stuff

ive talked to guys that swear they could run 18 base on regular fuel but these are the same guys who got their butts handed to them and their lengthy list of high dollar parts catalog. And they blow headgaskets often too

ignoring the signs of a lean condition or detonation is usually rewarded by a car demanding parts like head gaskets..... plus they run like crap and start hard too

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Study your advance curve carefully. Factory stuff called for 10 base and pulls in another 16-18 or so if memory serves.

How much timing is neded and/or tolerated depends upon so many factors. Fuel type/grade, compression, etc. the one most often overlooked is not the type of head but rather the head’s tendency to swirl. E6 heads swirl vastly, as do several heads from Edelbrock. And that’s not to say some of those heads aren’t good or even great for power production.

With my 86GT running E6 heads 13.5 degrees of base timing is the outer max of what it will put up with. Add another .5 and it’s tempd will skyrocket and power will drop off drastically and feel like it’s at about 8 degrees of base, not 14. Add equal shorty or long tube headers and get more scavaging and it behaves itself at 14 for the most part, but I don’t run it there as the headers will glow red on a hot summer day there.

With my 89LX running E7 heads, 14.5 is where it would start to act the same as the 86. Same headers and exhaust on that car at one time. Back then it tolerated 15 but did the same stuff

ive talked to guys that swear they could run 18 base on regular fuel but these are the same guys who got their butts handed to them and their lengthy list of high dollar parts catalog. And they blow headgaskets often too

ignoring the signs of a lean condition or detonation is usually rewarded by a car demanding parts like head gaskets..... plus they run like crap and start hard too
    Exactly, its at 10 degrees btdc for a base now, doesnt
    seem to ping with that, spark plugs are showing a more richer than leaner mixture, but not fouled,and not driven far either, fuel in these parts is questionable, I have D50E heads with 192int and 164ex valves, ported , polished , the engine is a 351w with a 3.850 stroke, flat tops, and the camshaft is FMS E303, 1.6 rocker arms. Iv got it running ok for the moment, iv made a limiter for the vac advance as well, the engine pulls 15in/hg. I will need warmer weather to finish fine tuning, its ranging between -10 and -20degrees for temperature right now. A

Hello, fellow east-coaster

Assuming a couple things (~10:1, 91-octane, 750cfm Holley), setting the initial timing to 14-16° BTDC should work good. Regarding the 10/20-degrees vacuum advance confusion (your shooting for crankshaft vacuum advance of ~10° is a real good idea) - distributor degrees listed (or shown or stamped on distributor parts) is half of what crankshaft degrees will be, because the camshaft/distributor turns half crankshaft/engine rpm... and so, with 14-16° (crankshaft degrees) BTDC initial, you should limit the mechanical advance to ~10° ((distributor degrees) 20° crankshaft degrees), for a total mechanical advance of 34-36°, and "all in" at 5500-6000rpm.

As to your "more richer than leaner mixture" plug appearances, some more initial and driving/cruise ignition advance should help some with that... but what's the carburetor LIST#? ... and, feel free to PM me if you need some help sorting the carburetor out for best function on this beast of yours.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 02-23-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Thanks for the tips, we just got another winter storm, so no progress. But I did manage to clean up some wheels, these are the original 10holes that came with the car, there are 3 in the pics, the 4th is still frozen into the ground, the caps are ford, the original caps were stolen with the one of the p/o. Also cleaned up a turbine. Still torn as to what wheels I'm going to use, maybe I'll put 2 turbines on one side and two phone dials on the other, can only see one side at a time. Name:  IMG_20190224_111857.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  66.4 KBName:  IMG_20190224_234112.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  73.9 KBName:  IMG_20190225_011752.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  89.1 KB

The wheels cleaned up well! Congrats!

Personally I am not a fan of either the 10 holes or the Turbines myself. I know, I know! Get the pitch forks and fire and string me up!

Anyway, I will say the Turbines are a MAJOR PITA to clean and clean well if not painted and/or sealed properly. With that being said, for some reason or another I actually think they look better on the Four Eyes than the ever did on the Aeros. Still not my first choice, but between 10 holes and Turbines, I am going with the Turbines every time. IMHO they just look a bit tougher or meaner than the 10 holes and they seem to fit the Capri really well with the more squared off fenders, quarters, and nose. Anyway, good luck and keep the pictures coming!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I put my vote in for the 10 holes (phone dials). They look right with the 5.0 badges.

As an aside, I loved those old Defender tires! I still have a set on my first car parked in the back of the garage. Back then (early/mid 90's), I would get roughly 10,000 miles out of a set before cords were showing (82 5.0 Mustang GLX). Granted I practiced my James Rockford slide nearly everyday and was fairly proficient at other tire shredding maneuvers. They were so smooth and predictable when sliding.

Have fun... Cool Capri!

One more vote for the 10 holes, especially with the "cat" centers.
    One day I'm going to have two 10 holes widened to fit my 275's in the back.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

I have cougar turbine center caps. Not in great shape, but if you wanted to go that way...
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

The tent approach should make working tolerable. A little plastic and some low end blankets and you’re out of the elements. Add a heater and it might even get nice to work in.

sure better than a snow bank and easier to heat than a cement slab

10 holes polished up nice there I must say

whstvabout some old school mesh wheels?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by erratic50; 02-26-2019 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    The tent approach should make working tolerable. A little plastic and some low end blankets and you’re out of the elements. Add a heater and it might even get nice to work in.

sure better than a snow bank and easier to heat than a cement slab

10 holes polished up nice there I must say

whstvabout some old school mesh wheels?
    I Googled Mercury Capri with mesh wheels, came up with lots of pics. Some look really good, you may want to check them out.
    Last edited by Dave9052; 02-26-2019 at 10:37 AM.

The mesh wheels look great, but the budget is really tight for wheels, the turbines were real cheap, the 10 holes came with it, and the pony's are on it, I really like the mesh wheels, but again not in the budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast