Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Godzilla V8?

Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    I was just making a general response and was not toward anyone lol
    No problem, I didn't take it personally, but it did seem to directed towards me!

It's all good!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Default Back and forth- OHV, OHC

The Corvette C4 ZR-1's LS-5 was/is a great reliable OHC V8 engine, compact fit.
    Engines have constantly evolved thru the years. Minor and major design changes.
    At one time, turbochargers, superchargers, multi-valves from the factory were n/a. Now..well..

http://www.mercuryracing.com/mercury...-crate-engine/
    Ford blue? And 428 CI? http://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/

Stuff it in a Mercury? Don't tell anyone its a LS with GM parts. Not as bad as using a corporate GM engine.
    Heck, Ford used Quadrajet carbs on the 1970 429 CJ.
    'Hemi' is not always a Chrysler head (Ford 427 'Cammer")
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemisp...ustion_chamber
    There were always similar parts and designs common among mfgrs. Especially generic items.

In 1963 Pontiac sourced Ford Super Duty hood scoops.
    The gas hog 1000# Ford big truck big cube V8 engines:
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/junk...er-duty-scoop/
    Last edited by gr79; 02-14-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Kinda off topic here, but related to the EcoBoost talk. I bought a brand new '14 F150 3.5 and absolutely love it. I've been running a 5 Star SCT tuner since 10k miles and it now has 31k on it. I've mostly used the 87 octane performance/tow tune and have averaged 16mpg over the entire period of having a tuner on it. That is a few thousand miles of pulling my 25ft camper and St. Louis to Denver and back to buy my 83 GT.

A buddy has a newer Silverado 5.3 that averages 18 or 19 mpg, but when we are both pulling our campers, the EcoBoost will leave him sitting. It's not even close.

I hear guys moan about the mileage, but never about the power they have. With the 87 octane economy tune I averaged 20mpg on a family trip from St. Louis to Gulf Shores. I have noticed though anything over 75mph, and the mileage goes in the tank. It's like trying to push a brick down the highway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Big cubes may rule again. Low end torque for towing, hauling, driving. Simpler design than new diesels.
    Before they sucked up gas, but now new tech is changing that.
    I know of people who tow and diesel pickups were the way to go in the past. Now too expensive.
    The expensive diesel regen, emissions, DEF, vari-turbo equipment plus added maintenance, higher fuel cost sucks.
    Low maintenance and simplicity was a diesel strong point. A neat option for a pickup.
    Ecoboost or big cubes will equal or surpass the advantage of non-commercial diesel power for small trucks.

Very sound and solid points above.

It does ZERO good for an engine to make 400 ft lbs of torque at 3500 RPM when the towing effort needs the power at 1500-2000.

Everyone wants to talk about horsepower these days too. It’s stupid. all I have to do to make a ton more horsepower is take a given torque number and produce it at higher RPM.

In a truck a new mill built out by prshould be outstanding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12