Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Don's 83 Mustang Gt Clone build

Thia will be the documentation of my 83 Mustang GT Clone build pages. This Clone will be built on a GLX car that was originally a four cylinder car with a C5. The car already has a 5.0 engine but is the wrong year. I have a 84 engine to use in it as well as a matching T5 trans. The finished car will be the silver metallic color with an 84 charcoal grey interior. It will also be getting a T-top installed. I also bought a 83 Gt shell for the T-tops, suspension, hood with scoop and hatch with the three piece spoiler. All door glass and hatch glass as well.

This will be a complete restoration to a stock type GT. I have been buying parts for it for the past two years. As well as re upholstering all the seats with OEM fabrics from SMS. Pictures will be added later.

Here are a couple pictures of each car. There will be more to come as I get along.Name:  DSCN0288.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  173.5 KBName:  DSCN0289.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  186.1 KB

FEP Super Member

Why not use the GLX , to build the T top Gt ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Why not use the GLX , to build the T top Gt ?
    No title,picked up the GT from a guy on Ebay. He got it from a friend who owned a junk yard, and didn't need the title. He wanted the engine and trans.
    Then I bought the rest for parts. Every corner of the car is damaged and one front apron is pushed back. Too much rework. The GLX is rust free except for the fender you see, it's not original, that's it.

Looks like a great canvas and parts to work with, Don
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Looks like a great canvas and parts to work with, Don
    Yes it will be a great base. It was under coated, so it is super clean. It has no rusted out metal anywhere. I have the T-top assembly from the donor car as well as the front and rear bumper covers, hood, hatch, complete suspension, rear axle,steering rack, power window drive system, all window trims in black, and body molding. So it was a great deal for only $500.

FEP Senior Member

Default Seat re-upholstery

These are the covers I sewn up myself for this restoration project. The fabric was bought from Original Auto Interiors, now owned by SMS. The vinyl came from Your Auto Trim store. I am changing the single fold down one piece rear seat over to the split fold down. The new carpet set I bought came with the rear seat pieces, and they were sewn on to the fold down seats like the originals. These pieces are ready to be assembled as soon as I get the seat buckets cleaned from rust and re-painted. Will need to replace the seat support wire frames and springs also.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FEP Super Member

Nice job !!!!!
    I only ask about building the t top , I own an 84 original t top .
    Jot that the car is original Haha, just it has always been a t top.
    Any way , there were few t top cars built , and the vin tells all with a matching buck tag.
    Nice to keep them alive if possible .
    Last edited by ashley roachclip; 02-09-2019 at 07:26 PM.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    Yes it will be a great base. It was under coated, so it is super clean. It has no rusted out metal anywhere. I have the T-top assembly from the donor car as well as the front and rear bumper covers, hood, hatch, complete suspension, rear axle,steering rack, power window drive system, all window trims in black, and body molding. So it was a great deal for only $500.
    Sweet
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

FEP Senior Member

Default Dash pad restoration

This is the start of the restoration of a dash pad for my 83 build. This pad was in very bad condition. So I start by removing the original vinyl. To do this, all you need is a heat gun. Heat it up, and just peel it off. Then after that step, you will need to sand down the ridges from the cracks and fill them in with something. I used latex caulk. Then for the speaker holes, I filled them in with spray foam from a can. Then smooth it down. Then I applied some fiberglass window screen over the speaker holes to strengthen those areas up. Then the last step will be applying the new vinyl. The vinyl was bought from Ebay. It has a T-shirt type backing on it that allows the vinyl to stretch in one direction, but not much in the other. So this backing will be removed before heating up to vacuum form over pad. It just pulls off with a little force. This will be done after the weather warms up here and I build the oven. I have a vacuum board built and ready to use.

Honestly in most states getting a title on a 36 year old car is not difficult. Might be worth trying as then you would have a GT when you are done

FEP Senior Member

If I could get a title, I would just switch over the vin tags onto the good chassis. The Gt is too far gone and way to much work to fix. Panel damage, as well as floor pan, and roof. Every body panel was damaged.

FEP Senior Member

Default Parts restoration

Here's a picture of some of the parts I have restored. All the silver and gold pieces were zinc plated with a kit from Caswell Plating. The black parts were stripped and matte black powder coated. The powder coating was done with a gun from Harbor Freight at home by myself.

I also have a couple parts that are almost ready to be anodized, at home as well.

The pictures doesn't do the parts justice. They are extremely bright finished.

Very nice
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

Alright everyone, I finally started on my Mustang restoration. I am keeping a running update of this build on YouTube. You will be able to follow along as I go just by subscribing to my channel and getting the notices as new videos come out. I should have one this coming weekend. I haven't had one for the last two weekends. I try to do a new one every Sunday night.

I have about eight videos up right now. The car is on a DIY rotisserie right now. So Check them out.

Here's a link to the first one, they are posted by the date. https://www.youtube.com/user/Dynodon64/videos

If for some reason the link doesn't work, my YouTube channel is Dynoodn64. Hope to see you all there.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    Alright everyone, I finally started on my Mustang restoration. I am keeping a running update of this build on YouTube. You will be able to follow along as I go just by subscribing to my channel and getting the notices as new videos come out. I should have one this coming weekend. I haven't had one for the last two weekends. I try to do a new one every Sunday night.

I have about eight videos up right now. The car is on a DIY rotisserie right now. So Check them out.

Here's a link to the first one, they are posted by the date. https://www.youtube.com/user/Dynodon64/videos

If for some reason the link doesn't work, my YouTube channel is Dynoodn64. Hope to see you all there.
    Don
    Awesome job. I subscribed to your channel and can't wait for updates. I wish I would have put my car on a rotisserie when I had it down to a bare shell, but I got lazy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great videos and work, and I like your reinforcing ideas.

I also removed the rear torque boxes out of this one here, as well as the sub-frame sections in the area, and to and up some into the rear sub-frame rails (that angle up 60-degrees, if anybody's wondering what angle Fox rear sub-frame uprights are)... what started out as tackling some DIY sub-frame connectors turned into a three ring circus... oh well, glad I dug in and found the mess, and will fix it all stronger than new... anyway, all to be replaced with connectors from the very front sub-frames at their uprights and back and up into the rear uprights, with 2"x2" and seat cross-braces and fabricated/boxed/cross-braced/reinforced brick $hit-house rear lower control arm front pivot points... I'll add to my build thread at some point... much busier this winter than others... this has been Carter week so far, lol, and continues... with a 1957 Lincoln Carter WCFB (white cast four barrel), and a pair of Carter AFB's (aluminum four barrel (that Edelbrock later adopted)) from a 1963 Dodge dual-quad 413 ...

Subscribed to your youtube channel on the TV, and watched a couple of the newest videos... all good stuff, keep up the good work
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 01-28-2021 at 04:32 AM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Subscribed too.
    Can 't wait till evening and watch!
    Impressed already from your posts here.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

I just subscribed to your channel. I am excited to see when you vacuum form the dash.

FEP Senior Member

For anyone who is not familiar with my YouTube channel, here is the latest video update of my project. You might like the way I made my own sub frame connectors. Here's a link to my newest video from today. Most of my build updates will be by videos. So subscribe to see the latest on this build.
    https://youtu.be/P8BUqlesPQc

FEP Senior Member

Thanks for sharing your build with us.