Close

FEP Member

Default Don's 83 Mustang Gt Clone build

Thia will be the documentation of my 83 Mustang GT Clone build pages. This Clone will be built on a GLX car that was originally a four cylinder car with a C5. The car already has a 5.0 engine but is the wrong year. I have a 84 engine to use in it as well as a matching T5 trans. The finished car will be the silver metallic color with an 84 charcoal grey interior. It will also be getting a T-top installed. I also bought a 83 Gt shell for the T-tops, suspension, hood with scoop and hatch with the three piece spoiler. All door glass and hatch glass as well.

This will be a complete restoration to a stock type GT. I have been buying parts for it for the past two years. As well as re upholstering all the seats with OEM fabrics from SMS. Pictures will be added later.

Here are a couple pictures of each car. There will be more to come as I get along.Name:  DSCN0288.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  173.5 KBName:  DSCN0289.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  186.1 KB

FEP Super Member

Why not use the GLX , to build the T top Gt ?
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by ashley roachclip View Post
    Why not use the GLX , to build the T top Gt ?
    No title,picked up the GT from a guy on Ebay. He got it from a friend who owned a junk yard, and didn't need the title. He wanted the engine and trans.
    Then I bought the rest for parts. Every corner of the car is damaged and one front apron is pushed back. Too much rework. The GLX is rust free except for the fender you see, it's not original, that's it.

Looks like a great canvas and parts to work with, Don
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Looks like a great canvas and parts to work with, Don
    Yes it will be a great base. It was under coated, so it is super clean. It has no rusted out metal anywhere. I have the T-top assembly from the donor car as well as the front and rear bumper covers, hood, hatch, complete suspension, rear axle,steering rack, power window drive system, all window trims in black, and body molding. So it was a great deal for only $500.

FEP Member

Default Seat re-upholstery

These are the covers I sewn up myself for this restoration project. The fabric was bought from Original Auto Interiors, now owned by SMS. The vinyl came from Your Auto Trim store. I am changing the single fold down one piece rear seat over to the split fold down. The new carpet set I bought came with the rear seat pieces, and they were sewn on to the fold down seats like the originals. These pieces are ready to be assembled as soon as I get the seat buckets cleaned from rust and re-painted. Will need to replace the seat support wire frames and springs also.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FEP Super Member

Nice job !!!!!
    I only ask about building the t top , I own an 84 original t top .
    Jot that the car is original Haha, just it has always been a t top.
    Any way , there were few t top cars built , and the vin tells all with a matching buck tag.
    Nice to keep them alive if possible .
    Last edited by ashley roachclip; 02-09-2019 at 06:26 PM.
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    Yes it will be a great base. It was under coated, so it is super clean. It has no rusted out metal anywhere. I have the T-top assembly from the donor car as well as the front and rear bumper covers, hood, hatch, complete suspension, rear axle,steering rack, power window drive system, all window trims in black, and body molding. So it was a great deal for only $500.
    Sweet
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

FEP Member

Default Dash pad restoration

This is the start of the restoration of a dash pad for my 83 build. This pad was in very bad condition. So I start by removing the original vinyl. To do this, all you need is a heat gun. Heat it up, and just peel it off. Then after that step, you will need to sand down the ridges from the cracks and fill them in with something. I used latex caulk. Then for the speaker holes, I filled them in with spray foam from a can. Then smooth it down. Then I applied some fiberglass window screen over the speaker holes to strengthen those areas up. Then the last step will be applying the new vinyl. The vinyl was bought from Ebay. It has a T-shirt type backing on it that allows the vinyl to stretch in one direction, but not much in the other. So this backing will be removed before heating up to vacuum form over pad. It just pulls off with a little force. This will be done after the weather warms up here and I build the oven. I have a vacuum board built and ready to use.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Honestly in most states getting a title on a 36 year old car is not difficult. Might be worth trying as then you would have a GT when you are done

FEP Member

If I could get a title, I would just switch over the vin tags onto the good chassis. The Gt is too far gone and way to much work to fix. Panel damage, as well as floor pan, and roof. Every body panel was damaged.