Close

New User

Default Need turbo advice, 500hp+

Edit: forget about the HP goal please, I’m delusional . I’m really looking for a turbo to make a great street car, that will see rare track use just for fun, and is not a daily driver.

OP:
    I’m looking for advice on a turbo. Any advice is appreciated.
    My motor is a 2.5, stinger header, carburetor on EFI lower, air-to-water, esslinger d port, 2277 cam. Probably won’t change much from that in the future, except the intake manifold was initially a temporary idea, I don’t want to do anything different for now though besides better porting.

I’ve had a 550hp target in mind. It’s not a daily driver, it’s a just for fun car. I want to keep it fun to drive on the street though. A while back I was looking at a ball bearing Garrett 60-1 .63, I’m not sure anymore though. I’ve only ever ran a stock turbo.

Would anyone go .82? Or is that pretty much a track only setup.

Anyway what turbo would you get?
    Again thanks for taking the time.
    -Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by speedsicks; 02-08-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    1979 2.5L TURBO NOTCHBACK

550 hp is a hell of a target...lol. lets see some pics of this beast. Your gonna probly need a bigger turbo....

New User

Well it’s not a beast yet, it doesn’t even run yet. Maybe 550 isn’t a realistic goal with my engine setup. Someone might have to straighten me out, and please do.

I have been cleaning my garage in an attempt to be able to work on this car, because it’s been buried for years. I sent a picture of a shelf I built to my wife, it will have to do for now.

New User

A few more pictures I just snapped, and one from my 16th birthday. The car looked great back then, except the interior was already pretty bad, and the paint was worse than it looks. It sat in a field broke down for a decade when I got it.

Anyway hoping some people will chime in on turbo suggestions. I’m trying to pick up an old project, and trying to remember what still needs done, and what parts still need bought. Picking a turbo is one of those things, and I know people here save me some time. I’ve searched through a bunch of threads(lots of different motor combos on here and Turboford), and thought I narrowed it down to a 60-1 with .63ar.

I’m reading up on compressor maps right now, because I can’t remember anything about them. Any info will save me some time, and probably help me avoid making a mistake. So I’m all ears.

Your existing parts are not going to support that much HP. Likely your chassis and drivetrain probably won't either. You also will need to run E85 or race gas as 93 octane won't get you much past 18 psi on these motors in my experience. At least not without a spot-on tune.

Stingers site has a pretty good blueprint for different horsepower goals. Just realize that very few cars in this community have really made that much power at the wheels. And those that did were usually big-dollar builds. Good luck!

https://www.stinger-performance.com/faq.html
    86 SVO 1E- Not stock
    2012 GT/CS M6 3.55's- Also not stock
    2003 Honda CBR 954- Old track toy

D@mn! How big is that carb on that little engine?

Attachment 126208

Mike

New User

Quote Originally Posted by theviking View Post
    Your existing parts are not going to support that much HP. Likely your chassis and drivetrain probably won't either. You also will need to run E85 or race gas as 93 octane won't get you much past 18 psi on these motors in my experience. At least not without a spot-on tune.

Stingers site has a pretty good blueprint for different horsepower goals. Just realize that very few cars in this community have really made that much power at the wheels. And those that did were usually big-dollar builds. Good luck!

https://www.stinger-performance.com/faq.html
    Thanks for the input. I know I have work to do on the car to support that much power. I have a 10.5” spec stage 3(+?) and alum flywheel, and keeping an eye out for a T5.

I was planning on keeping the boost reasonably low, and taking it easy on the car, while I work the bugs out. That would give me some time to work on the rear end, suspension, brakes, etc.

I’ll have to keep gas in mind, I’ll admit I haven’t thought about it since deciding to bring this project back to life.

Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned a HP goal. I guess I’m just looking for input on what others would do to make the most of my setup. I’m not chasing that number or anything, just trying to avoid undersizing. I’m also not in a hurry.

Also thanks for the link, I’m looking at it now, that will help.

Last edited by speedsicks; 02-07-2019 at 02:28 AM.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by 4-barrel Mike View Post
    D@mn! How big is that carb on that little engine?

Attachment 126208

Mike
    No kidding lol
    It’s just loosely sitting on there so I don’t lose the hardware. I just got some fittings for fuel lines, and I dropped the tank to work on a sump.

Quote Originally Posted by speedsicks View Post
    Thanks for the input. I know I have work to do on the car to support that much power. I have a 10.5” spec stage 3(+?) and alum flywheel, and keeping an eye out for a T5.

I was planning on keeping the boost reasonably low, and taking it easy on the car, while I work the bugs out. That would give me some time to work on the rear end, suspension, brakes, etc.

I’ll have to keep gas in mind, I’ll admit I haven’t thought about it since deciding to bring this project back to life.

Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned a HP goal. I guess I’m just looking for input on what others would do to make the most of my setup. I’m not chasing that number or anything, just trying to avoid undersizing. I’m also not in a hurry.

Also thanks for the link, I’m looking at it now, that will help.

My advice is forget all about a specific HP goal for now. If anything you'd be better off under-sizing the turbine A/R since it's a street driven car. It's really annoying to drive around in a car that won't make any appreciable boost under 3500 rpm. I would focus on making as broad of a powerband as possible with your combination. My personal suggestion on a turbo would be the EFR series, maybe a 6758 assuming it's within your price range. You didn't provide specifics on your A/W intercooler setup but keep tabs in inlet temperatures. Good intercooling is key to making any real power on pump gas.

Here's a link to various head flow numbers. Might help as a reference when you're sizing other components. I would also suggest occasionally rechecking your cylinder head bolt torque. The aluminum D-port has a nasty habit of loosening up as the head bolts sink further into the soft aluminum.

http://stinger-performance.proboards...mparison-chart
    86 SVO 1E- Not stock

Many years ago, I had the privilege of doing a paint/body/interior restoration/restomod for a customer of Motion Dynamics. The engine was the stock 2.3 with all the custom tricks back in the day. I believe it was actually 2.5 or so due to custom offset ground crank or maybe even one of the Ranger crankshafts. The engine also had a custom turbo and the ole' Volvo intercooler trick since companies and offerings such as Stinger were not available at that time. Anyway . . . Long story short the combo made over 400 rear wheel horsepower on the Dyno. Very impressive for the time and what was available. I will admit that driving the car was like Wiley Coyote on an ACME rocket. The d#mn SVO would haul butt! The biggest issue IMHO was that it was more like an ON/OFF switch. Until the boost hit, the car was a complete DOG! Once the boost hit, it pinned you back in the seat so hard that it was all you could do to hold on. An AWESOME drag car or street racer, but terrible daily driver or corner carver as the power seemed to be ALL or NOTHING! Ultimately the idiot that paid for all this gave the SVO to his 16 year old son who in less than 6 months wrapped it around a tree totaling the SVO.

I know you said this is not a DD, I only mention this in hopes that it helps you determine more what type of behavior and driving characteristics you want from your vehicle rather than the HP number. If you just want the biggest HP number then go for it and enjoy it until it blows up (and it will at those power levels ) or decide what you really want from the car for driving and then adjust your build if needed from there. I know this is not an SVO, but same basic drivetrain, so I can tell you that an SVO with 300-350 HP is an Awesome car that is fun to drive and fun to go corner carving in. If you are a straight line person, then you probably want more and that's fine too. I just know that in the example I talked about above the car was not much fun to drive except in a straight line and at full throttle. Your experience and desires may vary! Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

New User

Thanks for the advice. As far as driving characteristics I would prefer to have a broader powerband, and not so much an on/off switch. I am more concerned about it being fun to drive on the street than actual power output. Also I would like it to be reasonably reliable.
    That proven combo thread is very helpful, and gives me some perspective, which I clearly needed.

I was trying to find a turbo that I wouldn’t feel like I needed to upgrade after a short while, but I’m probably better off with a more reasonable turbo.

I’m guess i’m looking for a turbo to make a great street car, that will see rare track use just for fun, and is not a daily driver.

Last edited by speedsicks; 02-08-2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added last paragraph

Do some research on the BorgWarner EFR turbos. They are light years ahead of what came on these cars and one of the best options you can buy today. I have a 6258 waiting to go on my car which is supposed to be good for >400 hp but with excellent spool characteristics. They also have integrated wastegates, BCSV and BOV's which somewhat simplifies installation.
    86 SVO 1E- Not stock

New User

Quote Originally Posted by theviking View Post
    Do some research on the BorgWarner EFR turbos. They are light years ahead of what came on these cars and one of the best options you can buy today. I have a 6258 waiting to go on my car which is supposed to be good for >400 hp but with excellent spool characteristics. They also have integrated wastegates, BCSV and BOV's which somewhat simplifies installation.
    I looked at a couple EFR’s. I already have an external wastegate, bov, and controller though, and looks like all of them are internally gated except the .85 ar housing. I really only looked for a few minutes. I’m going to do some more research this weekend, hopefully I’ll end up a little more knowledgeable lol.

I used to run a 2.3 blowthru setup before I switched to a v8 turbo. Your goal isn’t so far fetched realistically. Can it make that yeah but for how long. I ran 87-88 turbo motor stock bottom ends with a stock iron head. Got a lot of grief on my car but she ran good. I ran a crane 194621 cam and also a ranger cam at times.
    T5 stock clutch. I used my 80 n/a intake which I ported and a 2 barrel carb spacer to mate he intake and carb together. Holley 350 street avenger I worked for boost. Egr delete and all that, ported Head I did myself, and an eBay header, and believe it or not an eBay turbo 63 mm. And an eBay front mount intercooler. Waldron 255 pump, electric fan, power steering still. And a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator. 93 octane only, sometimes missed with torco. I ran 38-40 psi of boost through this motor and drive it often on the street. Keep an eye on the tune is all, at those number it’s not forgiving. I used the stock 12 point head bolts and 8993 head gaskets, would blow a few out a year. Head studs might of helped or getting my junkyard blocks and heads made true would also help. Last one I melted cylinder 1 and messed up the bore real bad, drove it home though. I was planning on a v8 swap so we got aggressive with the timing to see what it would do. Sure enough 15 passes on the street back to back ate the motor. You really can give those little motors hell. Tune, timing, fuel octane that is correct and it will run forever. I ran an 8.8 with 4.10s and never ran at the track on those boost numbers. I did however put down a 14.00 at 101 on street tires with a 2.6 60 foot on 14 psi with a passenger. So you can imagine what it would of down on slicks and 38 psi. Fun little motors, but now I can make the same power on a well built b8 with wastegate pressures as I was on that high of psi and never blow a motor.

Name:  9D38CF78-3365-4281-BB2E-4FE0E7456AD4.jpeg
Views: 133
Size:  179.3 KB I switched to this setup last year and love it. People didn’t believe my car did what it did than and still don’t. I got pics of the engine carnage and got pics of a few of my time slips with 14.0 and 14.1 passes with passengers and 2 second plus 60 foots on 14 psi. And that’s before I had the 2 step hooked up and couldn’t leave on boost. The most important thing is don’t listen to people’s opinions, do what you want learn from the mistakes. I wished I could have got my car on a dyno. Would of blown people’s minds. Just because someone’s build only made 400 hp don’t mean yours won’t make more. Every setup is different.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by 80Merccapri View Post
    The most important thing is don’t listen to people’s opinions, do what you want learn from the mistakes.
    That is some serious boost on a stock bottom end!Sounds like you had some fun with that motor. I’m sure I’ll be learning from my mistakes, but hopefully I don’t completely break it before I can have some fun with it.

Yea I used to run 25 psi all day long no issues. Once I started to up it I ran into problems. I blew a few headgaskets a year, cylinder one would always let go. Melted 2 pistons so bad and destroyed 2 blocks completely that way. Most of the time it would just pop head gaskets, my motor used to look real nice and clean, after replacing 3 head gaskets and 2 blocks in one year you tend to just say the hell with it and slap it back together and not care about being pretty. Headgaskets would always let go on the driver side, right by my alternator bracket and want to blow oil out the side where the block and head met. Few times coolant in the cylinders. Always around number 1. Honestly with better fuel and making my timing more conservative would of been the smart thing to do. I was honestly just looking for a reason to make the switch. My eBay header did have problems cracking. Until I re welded every weld from the factory. It was fun, but it’s much more enjoyable knowing I can drive my car a few hundred miles and be rough on it and be safe. Every time I used to make a pull I’d be like is this the one time it let’s go. Got real good at changing head gaskets fast. If I ever own another 2.3 car it will stay 25 psi max and just be a good cruising car... if....