Close

Default 1986 Mustang Hatchback LX 2.3 to 5.0 project

Hello guys,

If you have seen my other thread here on the 1986 GT I had, I mentioned my Hatchback 2.3 car. This is the car that will be with me 'till I die... Original thread on the GT: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...oject-(Norway)

I'm borrowing some of the pictures and history from that thread, to get this one started.

Well, it's an '86 Hatchback 2.3 LX four speed, that my father bought as a daily driver in 1997. I was born in '89, so this was my first "personal" experience with a Mustang. I remember crying when dad sold it...

After it was bought in '97, my father learned that his previous Pace Car had been wrecked. He managed to get a hold of the Pace Car front-end, and the saleen side skirts that he had bought when he had the Pace Car. That was put on the '86:

Sold in 1999, and bought back by me, in 2007. Finally!
    It was actually pretty beat up when I got it, and the Pace Car air dam - long gone.
    I fixed the car and took care of some rust, to get it through inspection, and drove it for about two years. I decided that it was either now or never, to park it for restoration (before the rust was too much). That car, has now been stored in a dry barn since 2009.

It is still stored, and my economy ain't that good yet to fully restore the car the way I want to. I recently bought my first appartment.

But I have gathered som parts through the years... 8.8 rear axle, five-lug 31 spline axle shafts, T5 transmission, 94-95 SN95 front spindles and brakes. I have a 302..

So, a buddy of mine and I got the idea of getting it to run again. No matter how beat up it looks, it would be fun to have it run, right? Kind of like Roadkill, but without the hack.

The 2.3 is long gone and was used for my exam when I became an engine-machinist in 2010, but I have allways had the plans to convert this to a 5.0 car. I have a complete EFI harness and A3M computer from an '89 or so Mustang, along with upper/lower intake, fuel rail and so on.

I will have to find som more pictures of how the car sits now. Coming shortly...
    Last edited by 71mach172; 03-20-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    Thomas
    1986 Mustang Hatchabck LX 2.3 (soon 5.0?)
    2000 Mustang GT 5 spd. Procharged
    1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2.5 5 spd. rwd. DD

X 1986 Thunderbird Élan 5.0 AOD
    X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top
    X 1986 Mustang Hatchback LX 2.3 5 spd. A/C (two digits away from my other '86 4-cyl VIN#!)
    X 1986 Mustang Hatchback GT 5.0 AOD http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1900492

So here is how she sits now. It's actually worse than the pictures show. The front air dam is sold to a friend of mine.

So here is what I am thinking...

Rebuild the 8.8 with 3.73, and use Aerostar drums for the five-lug conversion
    (I have all the parts except the drums)

T5 is ok from a '92 Mustang.

Throw together a 302 with E7TE heads. B-cam? Suggestions? Would love to do an Explorer upper/lower. But the closest will be eBay from the US, I think. Plus I allready have an original 87-93 upper/lower.

About the wiring... From 2.3 CFI with mechanical fuel pump, to EFI as it would have come from the factory. I kniw I will need the main harness and the tail light harness for the fuel pump relay. From what I have read on this forum, I will need the dash harness too?
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top
    X 1986 Mustang Hatchback LX 2.3 5 spd. A/C (two digits away from my other '86 4-cyl VIN#!)
    X 1986 Mustang Hatchback GT 5.0 AOD http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1900492

Good looking Mustang! Very cool history

Should be a great project and will definitely be checking it out.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you very much, Trey.

I just purchased through eBay, the main ecu harness and tail light harness. Since the seller had it listed, I purchased the underhood light(+?) harness too. The cars sold here in Norway got the lighting wiring harnesses so hacked up to pass Norway's inspection regarding color on the lights. (Not legal with amber parking lights fo example).
    All of the harnesses are off of he same '86 GT 5.0 manual transmission car.

I also just bought '93 Thunderbird 5.0 HO as a parts car to take the engine from. Will pick it up in Sweden this week.

I found my ECU I knew I had laying arround. A9P. Can I use this without trouble with the manual harness?

Some pictures I took this weekend.

The A9P ecu:
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

So I got the Thunderbird home from Sweden, and have taken the engine out. I also recieved my taillight harness and ECU harness from eBay today! Yay!

According to lmr.com and multiple searches here on this forum, the ‘86 has a one year only O2 sensor harness. Same on auto/manual.

I am using a T5, but have an A9P ECU. Will an ‘86 O2 harness work with this setup, or do I have to get an automatic O2 harness from an ‘89 or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

So after a few discussions, it seems like I will be buying the ‘86 O2 sensor harness.

I will get fuel lines from an 87 GT parts car.

Found a picture from 2007, when I first put on the Xenon front air dam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top

Sounds like things are coming together for you on the Mustang. Also sounds like many of my Foxes with parts and pieces from 8 different vehicles to build one car.

I am not 100% up to date on the EFI stuff right now since I have been playing with more of the early Four Eyes, so I can't guarantee I am correct about all of this. First if you are using the 86 harness with the A9P I assume you are planning on making the MAF conversion to the harness? The A9P is a MAF computer and the 86 was original SD. Everything I understand about the 86 EFI harness and actually the main front body/dash harness is that is a one year only harness. I am sure you can make other parts and pieces work with it, but what changes/alterations are needed I am not sure.

There was a discussion in another thread here on FEP about the differences between the A9P and the A9L and swapping them between 5 speed and Automatics. You might want to do a quick search and read up on that. There was some good information that might be helpful. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Sounds like things are coming together for you on the Mustang. Also sounds like many of my Foxes with parts and pieces from 8 different vehicles to build one car.

I am not 100% up to date on the EFI stuff right now since I have been playing with more of the early Four Eyes, so I can't guarantee I am correct about all of this. First if you are using the 86 harness with the A9P I assume you are planning on making the MAF conversion to the harness? The A9P is a MAF computer and the 86 was original SD. Everything I understand about the 86 EFI harness and actually the main front body/dash harness is that is a one year only harness. I am sure you can make other parts and pieces work with it, but what changes/alterations are needed I am not sure.

There was a discussion in another thread here on FEP about the differences between the A9P and the A9L and swapping them between 5 speed and Automatics. You might want to do a quick search and read up on that. There was some good information that might be helpful. Good Luck!
    Thank you for your reply, Trey!

Yes, I will convert to mass-air using pro-m's kit(bought that many years ago from lmr).
    They come with pretty good instructions, too.

But it is the other things reading on forums that makes me unsecure about things. Like an '89 has five wires going through the O2 harness and '86 has three. Some have experienced stalling issues, som don't. And then down to the question on what is actually needed for the A9P to function correctly..(?)

I will do a better search on this forum, and see what I will find.

It is this thread that makes me think...
    https://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...erences-3.html

It will probably work with just the MAF conversion kit, but I just want to get it right the first time.

The original MAF cars have wires through the O2 harness that is for the NDS, auto, manual, one looped wire and so on... Confusing right now,

Can't wait to get to work on the car. Right now it is too cold. The snow has started melting, so hopefully soon
    Thomas

X 1987 Mustang GT T-Top