Close

Default 86 Convertible Top Hydraulics

I have used a Full Synthetic ATF Auto Trans Fliud in the Hydraulics for the Convertible top and all has seemed almost fine until recently.
    The pump is working, but with no pressure to operate the top.
    Have checked and found small leaks, but would not consider bad enough to cause the top not to lift. Tightened the hose connectors to the cylinders and removed the pin connecting the cylinders to the top. There is not a lot of pressure required to push or pull the rods. Operated the pump and the cylinders worked, although I can hang onto the rod and stop the rod from going in or out.
    The pump has the correct amount of fluid, and with the filler plug out, operated the pump and did not hear any signs of air in the lines.
    The cylinders are near to new and I can feel fluid on the rod, but could not see any collected in the top of the cylinder that would indicate a leak, only through the hose connectors which I have now tightened.
    As the pump motor seems fine, is a seal kit for the pump the next step, or is it the Synthetic Fluid or are the cylinders stuffed?
    (As I was using the Synthetic Fluid in the AOD and Power Steer, thought it would also be ok in the hydraulics for the top, then one fluid did all.)
    Last edited by mikes in australia; 02-06-2019 at 04:48 AM.

Update,

From Convertible Service [sales@convertibleparts.com]

The hydraulic system in the 1986 Mustang and all Fords since 1966 use Dexron III, or an equivalent. NEVER use ANY type of synthetic fluid because it will likely damage the pump rotors and make the motor useless.

ouch, not good... now I know not to try that...
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

FEP Power Member

I used Royal Purple synthetics in my 86 vert for years, never an issue.
    Original Member of 'The Anti-Cowl Hood Club' and 'The Ten-Hole Mafia'.

Related question; anyone run the convertibles as manual and remove the hydraulic systems all together? How much weight was saved in doing so?
    Gripping the wheel his knuckles turn white with desire, the wheels of his mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45 ...True death 400 horsepower maximum performance piercing the night...this is black sunshine