Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Does anyone still cnc port e7/stock iron heads?

I’ll start off with a few facts , to end all the ‘why would you want to do that’ type of responses.

I’m doing a restoration on an 85 Mustang, the stock iron heads and numbers matching block matter to me visually.

The rotating assembly will be a 331. I could do a 306, but the price is almost the same, so I’ll take the extra cubes.

It’s not budget based, so if it’s as expensive to port/build E-5/E7 cores but not have the same power as AFR or Trickflows that’s ok.

Pedestal rockers will be retained, the stock 4v intake will be ported as well.

So, the question, who actually does CNC porting on stock iron heads anymore, and has a legitimate reputation for quality work?
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

Default Does anyone still cnc port e7/stock iron heads?

I am sure people would do it, but not sure for most people it would be worth it. In your situation it might be. I actually have a set of CNC ported E7 heads. Not sure who did it as I bought them used. I suspect they are from Powerheads though as they are CNC’d with 1.90x1.60 valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Adriver; 02-04-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Powerheads is what I was going to say, but I think they went under years ago?

I like builds like this using stock iron. As long as the person knows going into it what your limitations will be and the power output vs. dollars spent.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FEP Senior Member

I was hoping the Powerheads place was still going. I haven’t seen any advertising on the site, and the site itself sees like it may be done.

More of the rarer foxes are going back to a stock appearance, since the cars have more value now. I have an AFR headed motor in it now, but want to go back to my numbers matching block and heads, but still have better performance/quality than stock.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

If I were interested in originality I think I would pull, and keep the stock motor for later use. Then build the fun motor to beat on.

Even if you couldn't get your heads CNC ported, I'm sure you could have someone hand port them. People were doing it and making more power well before CNC stuff came along.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by BaconB8 View Post
    I was hoping the Powerheads place was still going. I haven’t seen any advertising on the site, and the site itself sees like it may be done.

More of the rarer foxes are going back to a stock appearance, since the cars have more value now. I have an AFR headed motor in it now, but want to go back to my numbers matching block and heads, but still have better performance/quality than stock.
    I might be looking to sell the heads off my car if you are interested let me know.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    If I were interested in originality I think I would pull, and keep the stock motor for later use. Then build the fun motor to beat on.

Even if you couldn't get your heads CNC ported, I'm sure you could have someone hand port them. People were doing it and making more power well before CNC stuff came along.

Jess
    That’s the situation I’m in now. There’s a non-numbers matching motor in it with the numbers matching stuff on a stand.
    85 Saleen Mustang(s)

-- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

I'd go with E7's for some more oomph (compression) if you're contemplating which between the car's E5's or some E7's. The E7 combustion chambers are about 10cc smaller (~60cc) than your E5 heads that have upwards of 70cc chambers.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I'd go with E7's for some more oomph (compression) if you're contemplating which between the car's E5's or some E7's. The E7 combustion chambers are about 10cc smaller (~60cc) than your E5 heads that have upwards of 70cc chambers.
    That’s what I did. Replaced the factory E5s with the ported E7s.