Close

Default Starter has a cracked housing

I finally got around to cleaning off my wonky starter (been working on other stuff) since I had a problem with it staying engaged after I let off the key. I noticed right off that the Bendix mechanism seemed to be unable to fully retract. The motor shaft seemed to be loose in the bushing on the Bendix end so I took it apart to inspect. When I cleaned the grease off the drive end housing it had a nice crack at the base of the bushing support and was distorted enough to put the bushing out of alignment (explains the wear). It appears the case was side loaded during starting and eventually it cracked. Something isn't right....
    The '83 Mustang it was in came with an SROD when I got it and a non original 302 engine that was not in good shape. I put in another 28 oz 302 after a rebuild etc. A few years later I found a T5 and swapped it in. I retained the original spacer plate between engine and trans so that shouldn't be a problem as far as I know. Seemed to work fine with the existing starter & the T5. Could there be a difference in the old starter for an SROD vs a T5? Maybe it has a larger diameter bendix gear (more teeth) than it needs? That would explain the cracked starter case. I guess I can trade it in for a cheapo rebuilt starter for a T5 Mustang (1986 or later as I recall) if there is a difference. I've heard some newer Fords have usable factory mini starters that are pretty good too.
    Any other tips or help would be appreciated.

All starters are pretty much the same, aod or t-5. The 164t and 157t flywheels use the same starter and amount if teeth in the starter. The only thing that really changes is the depth of the teeth on the flywheel. There is basically a 3/8" offset or a 3/4" offset. Every thing else is basically the same. For the mini starters, they are as close to plug and play as you can get.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Thanks Haystack. Looking at an LMR SVE mini starter as a replacement. Hope that'll work OK for a mostly stock engine.

Bought the SVE mini-starter and slapped it in eliminating (bypassing) the stock solenoid. It works great but the apparently damaged flywheel teeth make lots of noise during start ups. Shopped at Jegs for a replacement (upgrade) billet steel flywheel. Might be time for a 10.5" clutch too. Glad I left the car on jack stands!