Close

Default Distributor GearsM

I’ve got a 84 GT with the stock motor and Durapark distributor. I’m putting an 85 engine, B cam and a Petronix distributor. My question is can i use the Duraspark in the 85 engine with B cam. I hear various things and would like some real ,information from someone with knowledge.

Thanks for your help

Jim

Best part to grab is a replacement 85 distributor as it has the needed steel gear.

Any gear 85 matched with a roller cam should work

My BIL just found out the hard way on his Corvette. It was his step fathers car, that had the engine built by a reputable shop, and his step father had a “friend” finish it off with a carb, and distributor. My BIL bought it from his step dad with about 5 miles on the rebuild. BIL put about 75 miles on it before the roller cam ate through the stock dizzy gear, resulting in a rebuild. These are cases where it’s best to call the cam manufacturer, or read what the cam specs say. But I agree, I believe you’ll need the steel gear.

Yeah, ignore the cars requirements, just find out the shaft diameter and use the gear the cam requires.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

Buy the plastic gear and never worry again.
    "40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor" erratic50

So, my 84 non-roller has a cast gear, I guess. To use it with the B.cam I’d need to upgrade the gear to steel or use my Petronix distributor, correct?

TIA Jim

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Steel is correct don't use cast on roller cam

It's not that it's a roller cam it's the helical gear on the cam itself that determines what gear for wear/compatibility

You can use bronze gear but you will not get much out of it for miles (gear wears to save cam wear)

Word of caution make sure the distance for set up is correct from gear centerline to bottom of distributor and don't use same roll pin hole

Call Ford tech or look on there site and only there website MSD was not correct and I was eating gears

Ford racing catalog has a page published that's very helpful

If your set up is wrong you will eat gears and all of the material will go to your oil pan and you know the rest

The cam will pull dizzy gear down by helical gear design and eats gears if not set up right
    Don't be scared it's easy to do just get it right and not sure if your 84 non HO dizzy will work with 85 HO firing order

HO firing order won't matter. I would go with your stock, after my experience I wouldn't want to gamble on shaft lengths. Just pop off the old cast gear (and save it, they are rare now) and put on the new one. Or, while it is out you can try to verify that any new one you use has the appropriate shaft length and gear position.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.