Close

Default Help with 86 GT restoration

Well its been a while . Finally got my 86 GT to the shop .
    My plans for the gt is to redo the whole drivetrain so i can use it for daily driving . I was just going to do stock rebuild and do a MAF conversion but might want to do a few minor mods to get a little more power from the stock motor . I was thinking of getting a set of gt 40 p heads and a mild cam. Just curious to any suggestions you guys might have since i will have motor out and rebuilt soon . Thanks for the help in advance.
    1984 California Highway Patrol unit # 2940
    1984 GT350
    1986 GT 2R all original
    1986 LX 5.0 8Y notch

There are many options to improve the power and performance of the 1986 5.0. Just keep in mind that the pistons are flat tops with no valve reliefs. Not a major issue with you doing a rebuild, but stay aware of your piston to valve clearance with any cam/head changes.

The GT40 heads P or not are very good heads for a street car. Just make sure the valve springs are up to the cam specs you choose. If you really want to maximize your combo then spend a little extra money on your camshaft and order a custom one. Here is a great option. http://www.flowtechinduction.com/ford-2/
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    There are many options to improve the power and performance of the 1986 5.0. Just keep in mind that the pistons are flat tops with no valve reliefs. Not a major issue with you doing a rebuild, but stay aware of your piston to valve clearance with any cam/head changes.

The GT40 heads P or not are very good heads for a street car. Just make sure the valve springs are up to the cam specs you choose. If you really want to maximize your combo then spend a little extra money on your camshaft and order a custom one. Here is a great option. http://www.flowtechinduction.com/ford-2/
    Trey thanks for your input. I think thats what ill do just to get a little more out of my motor. Just to ask everything else drivetrain should hold up fine with these mods correct. Im sure they will but just want to ask to be sure
    1984 GT350
    1986 GT 2R all original
    1986 LX 5.0 8Y notch

Everything else should hold up just fine. The T5 is a decent transmission but generally 300HP/300TQ is going to be the limit for long term durability. Obviously you can upgrade with Astro, G Force, parts, etc. if you want/need more power.

Obviously all the remaining parts and pieces need to be in decent working condition in order to provide the best durability. I do recommend running the best quality brake pads and shoes you can. Porterfield I believe offers pads and shoes for the Four Eyes. Otherwise, I would seriously consider upgrading the front brakes to the 87-93 V8 spindles and brakes. This provides 11" front brakes, allows more front spindle choices if you want more performance and also allows better front brake pad options. If you have the original 10 hole wheels on your GT, you may want to verify fitment on the 87+ V8 brakes before install. Early castings don't clear the larger brakes IIRC. There's a ton of other minor things to consider depending on what you ultimate plan or goal is for the GT. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Here's some inspiration...a former v6 coupe with everything underneath out of an 88 GT. Everything bolted to the 86 shell without any modifications. I did have to use the 86 rear brake lines as the 86 goes down the rail and the 88 had them up the middle. They still cleared the exhaust no issue. I did make the 88 SEFI injection work and just merged what I needed with the 86 chassis wiring.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedblind View Post
    Here's some inspiration...a former v6 coupe with everything underneath out of an 88 GT. Everything bolted to the 86 shell without any modifications. I did have to use the 86 rear brake lines as the 86 goes down the rail and the 88 had them up the middle. They still cleared the exhaust no issue. I did make the 88 SEFI injection work and just merged what I needed with the 86 chassis wiring.
    Thats a nice notch you got right there. And seeing it done like that is definitley an inspiration for me. Thank you . I have started my 86 today. Already cant wait to finish
    1984 GT350
    1986 GT 2R all original
    1986 LX 5.0 8Y notch