Close

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    FEP Member

Got the engine pulled, new gaskets and seals, and replaced engine and C4 installed. Got it running smooth and sounding great only to have a major rear seal leak after it warmed up. Aaaaaand discovered a small, leaking crack in C4 tailshaft. Pulled it all back out, shop rebuilt another tailshaft and discovered the new engine rear seal spun, causing the leak, going to replace with a rope seal and hope that works. Is a 3.3 worth this effort? Any more issues and 5.0 it will be.

Got the fuel pressure issue fixed on the pace car. Took it down the road for some gas. Now to figure out where the miss is coming from.

Edit: Forgot to add that this was only about the 3rd time I've actually driven it. It's getting close enough to where I can actually get some real time behind the wheel.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 04-25-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Fixing dash and console issues while opening it up for tracing leaks from rain (from top edge of the windscreen perhaps?) and possible heater.
    Combining parts from 3 consoles to make one that has everything working and broken pieces replaced. Dash cabinet light, faulty light display and clock where not working. Ashtray cover, display cover were broken. Thank goodness those are always black. My interior is blue.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Heated ('79 302's) rod small ends and "hung" the new 30-over pistons on the rods last night. That, a new learning adventure, went okay. Ordered a new speedometer cable, as the one on the car has a cracked outer casing near the transmission... leaky. Got all four corners of the car good and up in the air onto jack stands and blocks today... hoping for all sorts to get accomplished within the next few weeks or month. Brought in the RPM intake and headers for sprucing up later when I do so with the off-road h-pipe.
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 04-28-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Managed to get the ground cable and vent tube mounted and in the box in the trunk on the LTD. Then switched to running new alternator wires to a fuse, then to a junction block for the factory power point, just gotta run the wire around to the solenoid on the drivers side (was on passenger side). Finish soldering the relocated coil, figure out how to get the maf harness through the firewall, and start putting the efi harness in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

Today,
    Made Braded Steel PCV Line, Power Brake vacuum line, fuel line, 5/8 & 3/4 heater hoses...
    Last edited by ThunderStruck; 05-13-2019 at 05:16 PM.

SVO - finally painted the interior sill plates and foot well covers. All were getting pretty sun faded. Used SEM 15303 spray can.

They looks much better, need to install back in the SVO before the upcoming show at Mustangs Unlimited.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Senior Member

I drove and entered a car show on Sunday. No clouds, and got a little sunburn to start the spring weather off right. I spent most of the day answering questions on what my car is and isn't.

Attachment 127638
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

I pulled an 8.8 rear end assembly out of an 89 GT to use in my 82 RS in place of the 7.5" setup. I also drilled the holes in the rear frame rails of the RS to mount the kicker shock brackets. Now I just need to make some slugs to weld in place to install the brackets.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Wow...I don't really even know where to start. Didn't touch it today, but over the last 6-8 months a lot has happened. First thing was that the 347 I was running spun a main bearing(was built 11 years ago) and things went down hill from there. Long....long story short among a plethera of issues with things. Somebody in their infinite wisdom, I won't say who ( but it was me) forgot to drain water out of engine and replace with antifreeze and below zero temps resulted in a cracked block. Didn't know it was damaged until the machine shop found it and they say it can't be fixed.

While the engine was down and trying to decide what to do about it, replaced the front suspension with a Team Z k-member and coilover kit with Strange adjustable struts to try and save some weight up front. Got a set of Strange rear shocks also but I haven't installed them yet as I've removed the rear end to get 9in ends installed and narrowed up a bit. I've been running sn-95 length axles for years and I'm tired of the rears sticking out, narrowing it a total of 3 inches(1.5 per side) and will be running 35 spline axles and a spool.

Fast forward a couple months, I'd been saving $$ to buy a new dart block(going turbo) and start with a new build when the shop I've been dealing with called me about a customer of his that had him build a dart iron eagle 363 that's been built for boost. The owner of the engine decided to called it quits as he's moving out of state and didn't want to finish the car. Another long story short, I bought the complete engine and a turbo system along with several other parts from the other guys build. There's no way I could have built an engine of this caliber for anything close to what I paid for the whole deal. I have the engine home, but I haven't set it in yet. Mocked up the intercooler, but that's about it under the hood. Been trying to delete anything that isn't necessary and I'm hoping to have it up and running by June. I still have a ton of parts to buy, but I'm getting there slowly but surely.

I'm sure I'm leaving some stuff out, but that's the bulk of it. I'll try and post up some pics of this build soon if anyone wants to see them.

Tim
    Last edited by Tar 71; 04-30-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    86 GT 363 w/80mm turbo-currently under construction
    19 F-150 Lariat Supercrew-DD

I repainted the Capri tail light lenses that I have on my coupe. I found some 3/8" painters tape on Amazon that fit between the lip on the fins perfectly. Next up is painting the inside of the housing.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Cleaning parts from 93GT parts car.

Been fighting with dialing in the pace car. Not only has it not been cooperating, but seemed to get worse, despite fixing/fine tuning a few things. I thought it was an ignition or timing problem. I finally ditched the plug wires and fitted a set of Accel wires I've had lying around. Looks great and I do think it partially fixed the misfire. But something was definitely still wrong.

I tried tuning the carb, but feedback from the vacuum gauge was too vague. I did a compression check and found a few cylinders were low. Adjusted rockers and they're all perfect now. But the car is lacking power, exhaust is noticeably getting quiter, and I get the occasional backfire. I finally borrowed a Quick Fuel 750 from my buddy. We slapped it on and fired it up. The ol pace car roared back to life! Of course, it started raining right then and I didn't get to drive it, but we definitely found the problem. I had a rebuild kit so my buddy took it and the old carb home. He's pretty good with the old Holleys, so he's going to go through it for me. He's getting off easy though, since I just started tearing into his t5 for a complete rebuild!

Name:  0504191740.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  83.1 KBgot the rearend swapped and tires fitted

Had to hurry getting my dashboard, console and right seat back in to drive to the location where we threw a party for turning 50. Made it. Here's both my Ghia's. You can't fit 6 in the Mustang.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

I tore out a bunch of the interior so a paintless dent repair guy can work his craft. I'll post pics if it works out well.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Driveway o/c, filter; WM full synthetic HiMIle 10w30 5qts, FL-1A, new drain plug gasket, test for leaks.
    Had to wait until first wave of rain sprinkles to stop. Got done before 2nd wave threatened.
    1.5 hour. Then starter cranked, no start. Found problem quickly.
    One horseshoe coil wire was pulled off its terminal. Temp repair using a spade connector.
    Prob pulled it off reaching down thru the wiring harness working on the oil filter from the top.
    Have new horseshoe pigtail. Did temp connector repair a while ago. Keep putting real repair off.
    Oh well. The engine filter got primed good.

Bought 5 litres of Castrol GTX high mileage and a k+n performance gold oil filter for the 91 302 motor.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Not a damn thing. Haven’t physically seen it in weeks. Frequently find myself 1-3 states away......

Been in Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, and Illinois today. 600 miles of seat time and a 70 minute flight. Arg

I re-wired my 88 multi-function switch (the blinker assembly) from the 2 on the 86, amazing that all the wires were the same color
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009

FEP Member

Scrapped the 200 in the 79, Rod bearings are shot and looks to have a main bearing oiling issue. Crank is great but If I had driven it a few miles, it would have spun the bearings. Not wasting any more time or money on it, V8 is going in.
    Anyone have any need for the new parts I bought for it? It has a complete, not rusted out, Ford factory exhaust. Even has the muffler shroud and cat.
    New timing set, water pump,top/bottom rad hoses, fuel pump, low mile starter, and reman torque converter. Original carb works well and appears to have all the original smog stuff.

Finally got to take her out, got it home before the rain. Spent a couple of hours dusting and admiring.

Went to the 18th annual Stanton Community Car Show. Today I got a Runner Up award with the Zephyr 4-door.
    Back in 2014 I won a Top 5 award with the Z-7 coupe. Have not taken the 4-door to this show since 2013.
    Was pretty surprised when they called me up to receive it.

The whole show is here: http://myzephyrs.com/STAN_2019/index.html
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

FEP Senior Member

Saturday I went to a car show at a local high school for their auto program. This coming Saturday is another show, then the following Friday is a show at a local auto parts store. The weekend after Memorial Day (June 1 & 2) is Good Guys in NorCal (Pleasanton). I'll be down there in one of the buildings in the 'Muscle Car' specialty event inside of the main show.

Attachment 127805