Close

Default How much does your (Newer)car know about you

and who is it sharing that data with? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Probably as much or more than your phone does. But that doesn't answer the second part of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    and who is it sharing that data with? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
    And what are they doing with that data?

And - what can they DO with that data OR to you and your vehicle?

A prime example would be to take a look at the story way back in 2013 - and the related WikiLeaks information dump - the alleged murder of whistleblower Michael Hastings. Your new "rolling computer" on four wheels can easily be hacked to accelerate wildly out of control so that you crash & burn. Whether it happened to Hastings or not, this can be done without much effort by govt or private entities to nearly anyone with a so-called "smart car".

WikiLeaks ‘Vault 7’ dump reignites conspiracy theories surrounding death of Michael Hastings

NOT only can the CIA hack your iPhone, Android or smart TV, they can also carry out “nearly undetectable assassinations”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...cfc286a1e75325
    Last edited by MERCURY MOTORSPORT; 12-31-2019 at 02:01 AM.
    #1) 1985 Mercury Capri 5.0L 4V 5-Speed T-Roof Motorsport Grand Prix IV
    #2) 1985 Mercury Capri 5.0L 4V 5-Speed T-Roof

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle

Default CO? what about EM pollution?

Happy New Year to all.
    General Resolution? This craziness should stop now. It should be illegal (again).
    How did rat finking and cameras everywhere get perceived to be cool?
    'In the name of security' is no excuse for free for all unsolicited monitoring like we are babies.
    Intersection traffic cams. Promoted to aid traffic flow. A lie. Large added infrastructure spending best spent elsewhere.
    Spies and spying. Extremely nosy people. What happened to minding one's own business?
    Making every ones privacy public. Proactive. Forced to pay for equipment being used by others to benifet, not the consumer?
    Intrusion into privacy everywhere. Black boxes in vehicles. Smartphone 5G tracking. Satellites. EM pollution.
    Electronically aided marketers, peeping Toms, stalkers, creeps, carjackers, wiretappers, or worse.
    All it has done is cause more problems and give/tempt people with more bad ideas and tech with intent to harm.
    Am not talking about panic buttons, or alarms, or for safety purposes. Reactive.
    Seems the more monitoring that is done the negative results, errors from the overly complex equipment, increases.
    Not including unreported scenarios and cost overruns from failed designs, systems, fast obsolescence. Not 'green' either.

Consumers paid for telecommunication companies fiber optics, which should have lowered costs to the same consumers.
    Instead bandwidth is used to dump more video ads onto internet pages and, along with cheap content, helps raise subscribed TV price profits.
    The tech in vehicles is not an opt out choice and increases vehicle cost plenty.
    Like slowly piling on mileage over the years, the small yearly tech additions have slowly added too many 'miles' (costs).
    Owning an 'air force one' car may have disappeared, with lease the only option for new or even used purchases.
    Now to reinvent an affordable automobile as done by Henry Ford.
    What is the purpose of an expensive to repair and replace 'everyday' 2.0L making 300 hp? Just to do it?
    Last edited by gr79; 12-31-2019 at 12:44 PM.

I'm glad all my cars are stupid.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

The data trail can be traced back to a court case in which a man, (rightfully) accused of violating a court order of protection against a woman, tried to have his phone records thrown out as evidence. There was no search warrant and he had not given permission for the police to see the records. The court ruled that the records did not belong to him, but belonged to the service provider, in this case the phone company. The records were given freely, hence no need for a warrant. So now, because of that ruling, when we check that little box agreeing to the 'terms of use', we give away any ownership of the data being transmitted through a device. I recently downloaded an app in my phone to read bar codes. But when it asked for permission to access all the information stored in my phone, photos, contact lists, location, etc., I uninstalled it. Check your google history some time. it's amazing. You can see where you've been and at what time for any day you choose. It'll draw a map for you. It doesn't even need the gps to be active to do this. Every wifi hotspot and cell tower your phone connects with is recorded. Same with these smart cars.

I have read that any "meta data" does not belong to you but to the company that collects it. Seems its in the fine print of the agreements most of us click through. What that means is anyone that the company wants can access it. This include LE, banks (credit), mortgage co's and on and on.

All you can do is drive an older car and leave your cell phone at home. even off it pings towers and you can be located by using 3 towers and chasing signal..

1984 (just like my car) is here and we are hooked in line and sinker...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

My wife and I don't do any banking by phone. I'm not so much concerned with the companies collecting the data. They do it for marketing purposes for the most part. It's the people working for these companies and (not so much either, really) hackers. I don't think I'm much of a target for hackers, per se, but individuals inside these companies and the companies themselves have been known to sell large blocks of customer info, to who knows? Not to mention the data breaches. My wife and I both have experience with individuals using our identities, so I'm not being paranoid here.