Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dash pad

Default Dash pad

I have a 80 mustang and need to replace the dash pad. I am having trouble finding an original so aftermarket is my other option. Has anyone used any of the aftermarket dash pads and which is the better. I will also have to dye it. Where would I purchase the correct color? Wedgewood blue is the color of the interior. Thank you all.

FEP Power Member

I did a write up on it about a year ago. The new ones are not paintable.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

https://coverlaymfg.com/ Used this cover on my 1986, it was red and matched great! looked good and easy to install.

Both of these options can be dyed/painted to match your Wedgewood interior. I will be doing the exact same thing for my 82 RS with the Wedgewood interior too.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/dash.../173392/150502

https://www.npdlink.com/product/dash.../181635/150502
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I bought one from LMR...it was terrible imo. I couldn't even use it. Sent it back and just bought their dash cover.

Texture's a tad different than the rest of dash and it slightly hangs over the edge a little, but definitely an improvement over the wavy, weird fitting pad from lmr. Paintable too

Quote Originally Posted by T-O-N-Y View Post
    I bought one from LMR...it was terrible imo. I couldn't even use it. Sent it back and just bought their dash cover.

Texture's a tad different than the rest of dash and it slightly hangs over the edge a little, but definitely an improvement over the wavy, weird fitting pad from lmr. Paintable too
    Most likely the dashpad was the Urethane version. My experience with the urethane was the same, fit and finish is terrible. The pad is heavy as heck and just junk IMHO.

I have installed two of the newer versions like I linked to above. Although not perfect or as nice as OEM, they both are very high quality with a good fit and overall finish compared to OEM. Not a cheap option, but still the best option out there for a complete replacement.

I have the overlay on my dash pad in my 79 PC and I have used several over the years since full replacements were not available. Definitely a cost savings and the overall fit is pretty good. If on a budget, then definitely the way to go. If going for the full detail and that NEW interior look, the full dash pads are still the better choice IMHO. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Both of these options can be dyed/painted to match your Wedgewood interior. I will be doing the exact same thing for my 82 RS with the Wedgewood interior too.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/dash.../173392/150502

https://www.npdlink.com/product/dash.../181635/150502
    Are they of equal quality since one is $50 more than the other?
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Quote Originally Posted by Basin Motorsports View Post
    Are they of equal quality since one is $50 more than the other?
    I need to double check, I believe the higher priced version has the metal core and the cheaper version has the molded foam core. But I could be wrong . . . Dashes Direct website doesn't give any better information to help either.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 01-31-2019 at 12:13 PM.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Power Member

I think there are some discrepancies in advertising. I bought one from Summit about a year ago. It was the higher priced one. I’m pretty sure it was advertised as foam core and it did have the sheet metal frame. I did a write up on it and posted it here. pretty sure I left feed back at Summit too.

What I got was a Dashes Direct solid molded dash pad with a sheet metal insert. It was not the old heavy style one. I bought it because it came in Red for 84. It also had a tag saying do not paint. The metal frame did not extend to the speaker area and they did sag a little. It took a little trimming to get a better fit.

Ok, so Summit sells 2 brands. Dashes Direct and Scott Drake. The only feed back listed, was me on the DD. Let’s hear some feed back on the Scott Drake version!
    Last edited by KevinK; 01-31-2019 at 12:36 PM.

I had a dashes direct dash pad in my svo that I just sold. It was heavy and didn’t feel like it had any support. But I like the fit and look for aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    I think there are some discrepancies in advertising. I bought one from Summit about a year ago. It was the higher priced one. I’m pretty sure it was advertised as foam core and it did have the sheet metal frame. I did a write up on it and posted it here. pretty sure I left feed back at Summit too.

What I got was a Dashes Direct solid molded dash pad with a sheet metal insert. It was not the old heavy style one. I bought it because it came in Red for 84. It also had a tag saying do not paint. The metal frame did not extend to the speaker area and they did sag a little. It took a little trimming to get a better fit.

Ok, so Summit sells 2 brands. Dashes Direct and Scott Drake. The only feed back listed, was me on the DD. Let’s hear some feed back on the Scott Drake version!
    If my memory is correct, the one we just put in my buddy's SSP was the foam core unit. A slight sag or bow to it, but nothing like the urethane version in my experience. I did send a PM to NPD to try and verify the difference between the two on their site that I linked to.

Quote Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
    I had a dashes direct dash pad in my svo that I just sold. It was heavy and didn’t feel like it had any support. But I like the fit and look for aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pretty sure that is the solid urethane version with no foam or steel core in it. I thought it was TOO heavy and too wavy for me. I need to check the other dash pad at the shop right now to see which core it has in it. Should be able to post that tomorrow.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I bought one from foxresto.com and am very impressed with fit and finish. It has a plastic core with molded foam and vinyl as original. It was dyed a light blue and sent to a customer that didn’t like the color and returned it. Been thinking of buying another to replace the red urethane piece of junk in my convertible.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Most likely the dashpad was the Urethane version. My experience with the urethane was the same, fit and finish is terrible. The pad is heavy as heck and just junk IMHO.

I have installed two of the newer versions like I linked to above. Although not perfect or as nice as OEM, they both are very high quality with a good fit and overall finish compared to OEM. Not a cheap option, but still the best option out there for a complete replacement.

I have the overlay on my dash pad in my 79 PC and I have used several over the years since full replacements were not available. Definitely a cost savings and the overall fit is pretty good. If on a budget, then definitely the way to go. If going for the full detail and that NEW interior look, the full dash pads are still the better choice IMHO. Good Luck!
    Very well could have been urethane. Definitely had a urethane based feel to it. Kind of rubbery lol. I'd like to ditch the dash cover though so if there is a better fitting pad available then I'm interested as well.

Thanks everyone. What kills me is the owner before me put in aftermarket speakers and put holes in the pad where the speakers are. other then that the dash is clean.

Some recent good feedback for Dashes Direct

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...light=dash+pad
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Here are some pictures of the dash.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Matt, here is a good write up that Mike did for repairing dash pads.
    http://mikemartinelli.com/index.php?...g-dash-pad-fix

OEM pads are out there, you just have to hunt for them, I've bought a few OEM's the past few years.

I spent over 30 minutes on the phone today with Matthew Laszaic of NPD. He is also a member here on FEP. He called to discuss the difference between the two dash pads I linked to above. Matthew if you are reading this I want to thank you once again for reaching out to me personally and then spending an unlimited amount of time discussing the dash pads as well as many other things Fox and Four Eye related. Great guy to visit with, a fellow FEP member, and a fellow Four Eye owner.

The quick answer to the million dollar question is that the Higher priced dash pad @$250 is the Dashes Direct vinyl wrapped version with a foam core. The slightly less expensive @$200 dash pad is an import vinyl wrapped version that also has a foam core. Matthew was going to visually check both to see if either had a metal insert that I believe may be present, but I might be wrong.

His opinion is that both are very good quality and fit very well, so either choice works. I will follow up with any additional information Matthew is able to provide. I will also check the dash pad we have for Erratic50's Saleen clone to verify which pad that one is also.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by tORMENtOR View Post
    Matt, here is a good write up that Mike did for repairing dash pads.
    http://mikemartinelli.com/index.php?...g-dash-pad-fix

OEM pads are out there, you just have to hunt for them, I've bought a few OEM's the past few years.
    I bought this one last Sept. on eBay for $125.00. There are deals out there if you look.

Name:  IMG_1754.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  99.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1756.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  81.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1759.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  121.2 KB
    Last edited by smitty54; 02-01-2019 at 07:53 PM.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

FEP Power Member

So, current count is at least 4 different dash pads are available today for the Mustang. Which one is Scott Drake?
    1. High quality foam core
    2. Import foam core
    3. Metal core light weight urathane
    4. Wavey heavy urathane.

Thank you. Is the Scott Drake quality?

Thanks Joe. Mikes fix may be a good idea for now.

FEP Senior Member

I really need to start my own Build Thread to start showing you what it is I am doing that would help others here. Just like this thread here.
    After watching "Just Dashes" video on restoring factory dashes of all makes, I decided to to do the same with my dash out of an my 83'.

I removed my dash and used a heat gun to strip off the old vinyl, comes off very easy. The vinyl was very hard and brittle, but gets so soft that it peels right off. After it cools down, it's get brittle again. Then after that, it's just a matter of sanding down the cracks and filling them in. I also used some spray foam to fill in where the speakers were, and added some fiberglass screen over them to fill it back in. Then I went to "Your Auto Trim Store, and purchased several samples of their vinyl, until I found a very close match of color and grain. Next process will be to make an oven to heat up the vinyl to allow it to be stretched over and vacuum formed on. I plan on showing this process on my YouTube channel.

That's the basic idea here. This will then be a factory dash pad recovered.Name:  PICT0504.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  73.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dynodon64 View Post
    I really need to start my own Build Thread to start showing you what it is I am doing that would help others here. Just like this thread here.
    After watching "Just Dashes" video on restoring factory dashes of all makes, I decided to to do the same with my dash out of an my 83'.

I removed my dash and used a heat gun to strip off the old vinyl, comes off very easy. The vinyl was very hard and brittle, but gets so soft that it peels right off. After it cools down, it's get brittle again. Then after that, it's just a matter of sanding down the cracks and filling them in. I also used some spray foam to fill in where the speakers were, and added some fiberglass screen over them to fill it back in. Then I went to "Your Auto Trim Store, and purchased several samples of their vinyl, until I found a very close match of color and grain. Next process will be to make an oven to heat up the vinyl to allow it to be stretched over and vacuum formed on. I plan on showing this process on my YouTube channel.

That's the basic idea here. This will then be a factory dash pad recovered.Name:  PICT0504.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  73.8 KB
    Wow! Super cool!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

If you long enough you will find a good orginal, took me 2 years
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast