Close

Default 1983 Fuel Tank Sending Unit Pickup- Carburator Car

I just got a new sending unit/pickup for a new replacement tank. It is for a carbed car. As I see it, both are correct. However, when I went to install the sending unit in the tank, the pickup bottomed-out on the tank before the tophat sat flush to the top of the tank. The top hat ever-so-slightly sat an angle (1/16") and I could feel the tension with the pickup buried to the floor of the tank. The easy fix for me was to slightly bend the tube upward and I did it a little at a time to unsure it was as close to the bottom of the tank as as possible. I finished with the top hat settling nice and level on its own (no great pressure) but a hair (1/16"- Guessing!) of wiggle at the pickup end.

My question is, is there suppose to be zero clearance at the pickup end or a certain gap? I could not find any install information in my Hayes manual and nothing brought up here. I was wondering if anyone recalls how it was when they did theres.
    1983 Ford Mustang GT | T- Roof | Polar White | Black Sport Interior

It comes down at an angle, and the hard round sock on the end draws in gasoline from 360°. I would have done it the same way you did.

Cale

Thanks for the reply. Just something about all that tension as it was, didnt make me feel comfortable. I looked at the sock and it was pretty clear it drew fuel from everywhere. Everything is ready to go in!
    1983 Ford Mustang GT | T- Roof | Polar White | Black Sport Interior

I bought mine for 84 carb car sending unit from advanced auto and it has never worked right. goes to full when its full but after about 75 miles it goes everywhere and low fuel light comes on at anytime.