Close

Thread: Undercoating ??

Default Undercoating ??

Looking at a nice low mileage 86. Everything is checking out good, but my only hesitation is the undercoating. I've been told that the undercoating was installed at original purchase. The car was originally sold in a northern state, but has been in dryer southern climates for sometime now. There is a black plug on the door jams, I assume this is where a hole was drilled to spray inside the doors.

Is there anything I need to be concerned with or look for?

How difficult is it to remove the undercoating from the undercarriage?

Any insight would be appreciated...
    85 GT T-Top (Sold)
    85 GT (Sold )
    93 Cobra Teal with Black #4982

Common practice for northern dealers. They would add $600 or whatever and run it to Ziebart. It would be a deal killer for me, especially if it's under the hood too but that is obviously your decision to make. If you're going to have to spend 100 hours to remove it and then possibly pay to repaint everything under the hood etc. then I'd rather just pay more for a car without it and not have to do it in the first place. There is no actual HARM caused by the process I suppose but it sure is ugly to look at. It is dealer installed, not factory so MCA will consider it a modification and deduct if that matters at all.

FEP Power Member

Actually, MCA allows anything which is on the dealer invoice at the time of delivery/sale. It is not permitted in the thoroughbred class. My svo was undercoated and iis retired MCA unrestored. Zeibate undercoating is not a Ford product and is c9nsidered aftermarket. My car has blue Ford plugs.

Yes, you may want to clean up some of the overspray.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

That is an interesting distinction. So if you don't have the the actual dealer invoice it would be considered a modification I suppose since there is no way to prove it. So I stand corrected. If the documentation shows it leaving the lot that way, it's fine. If it's that low miles it may have that documentation.

There is no undercoating from what I can see in the pics under the hood/engine bay....Hope to see the car soon in person.

The owner did send me a pic of the buck tag and it had a GTX code...I thought I read somewhere that was strip/decal delete. The care does have the GT hood decal, though.
    85 GT T-Top (Sold)
    85 GT (Sold )
    93 Cobra Teal with Black #4982

FEP Senior Member

Undercoating is unsightly in the engine bay....other than that it should not be a deal breaker. A guy on here just moved a low mile 86 GT with 4000 miles for good money and it was undercoated. There are a handful of collectors that would not have an undercoated cars in their personal collection. It is harder than ever to find a nice stock foxbody so I wouldn't let undercoating deter you from an otherwise great car.

Actually the MCA rules for 1979-1993 Concours Trailered / Driven state the following in Section 2a Undercarriage; "Everything must be covered except driveshaft, differential housing, exhaust, steering rack & linkage, suspension parts & springs. Some overspray on fuel tank & shield permissible. Mandatory 10 point deduction for undercoating in Trailered & Thoroughbred classes."

Since each application was somewhat unique to the person doing the actual work, I have seen the stuff everywhere, including suspension parts and rear end.

My '86 2R SVO was undercoated by the original dealership at purchase. While showing in MCA concours driven, the only deduction I ever received for the undercoating was "dirty". Have you ever tried to clean undercoating? I tried and the stuff starting coming off... once you start down that road, there is no turning back.

I would have to agree that undercoating on the inner fenders and fire wall is typically not pretty... but it was a common practice back in the day.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Are you buying a car to drive or to compete for points?

If looking for a driver then the undercoating is a non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk