Close

Default exhaust question

I have a 85 GT that has the original dual muffler and 2.25 diameter tail pipes, but the engine is a 91 and will have shorty headers (probably BBK) and a H-pipe with dual cats. My question is will this combination line up with the existing mufflers and tailpipe......I figure I'll have to probably use a couple of reducer pipes to connect the new 2.5 pipes to the existing 2.25 mufflers and tailpipes....or will I have to wind up with new mufflers and 2.50 tailpipes? I will also be switching to a 8.8 rear axle within the next month. Thanks for any helpful thoughts!

No it won’t fit due to the heat riser setup on the 85 header. You need an 86+ midpipe

I think Erratic missed the question. He is using a Dual cat 86-93 H pipe and 86-93 BBK headers and trying to connect it to the OEM '85 mufflers. So to me, he has already accounted for the missing heat riser by using matching headers and H pipe. Now as far as answering the question at hand, unfortunately I can't answer that. If it won't work, I don't believe it will be due to the heat riser however.

Transmission support will need replacing, but otherwise reducers would probably be easy and if you bring it to a shop they could probably not have too many issues bending something to work as the reducer and align the two systems.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.