Close

Default Snowblower: Cylinder Full Of Water? WTF?

I recently had my snowblower fixed by a small engine guy. The engine would not turn over. The problem with it turned out to be that the cylinder had filled with water somehow. I guess it was quite a bit too. All he could figure was it had to do with my storing the snowblower outside all summer. I like to keep it under my deck in a locked cage with a cover on it. Moisture would have gotten in from humidity in the air and stuff.

Anyone had a similar experience? I really prefer to be able to keep it under the deck because i have so little room in my garage. My memory is fuzzy, but it's possible it seized up during its last use last season. Y'know how you generally want to run the gas out if it before you store it. When the motor quit back then it may have been because it was seized at THAT point, and I declined to deal with it then. If that's true, how did water get in? I don't know where the intake is on these, but maybe it sucked up some snow?

What do you think?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

What kind of snowblower is it? Make, model and engine type?

If you have small engine issues in the future, feel free to drop me a PM. I'm not very far from you and used to work on small engines for a living.

Were you at the O'Reilly Nationals this year at the fairgrounds?
    Jeremiah

1986 Mustang GT 5spd, 3.27's
    PimpXS ECU/Android Single DIN Touchscreen
    SN95 Cobra Brakes/SN95 Front LCA's/Axles/S197 Wheels
    1998 Explorer Engine/Stock HO Cam 281rwhp/326rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by Two86fiveoh's View Post
    What kind of snowblower is it? Make, model and engine type?

If you have small engine issues in the future, feel free to drop me a PM. I'm not very far from you and used to work on small engines for a living.

Were you at the O'Reilly Nationals this year at the fairgrounds?
    Thank you! It's a Craftsman 2 stage 4 stroke. About 3 years old. It looks pretty much the same as the one they're selling now in the $600 range.

I was at street machine nationals, yeah. I'm not willing to sit in that 6 am line though, so I usually don't get a decent spot. I was in the second row across from where the main stage usually is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Member

I have a craftsman that seizes up after about 30 minutes of use.

I bought it used off a coworker and had to put a carb on it. Once I got that done I was out testing it and the oil cap vibrated off without me knowing. Motor locked up from oil starvation. I was able to break it free and it will start and run strong. But after a bit of use will lock up until it cools back down.

The weird thing is that it seemingly will idle forever, only seizes when I’m actually blowing snow. I wonder if I might be experiencing the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy. Mine has not seized up again, but I've only used it once. More snow in the forecast for tonight. The guy who fixed mine says these have cheap, crappy engines in them for what that's worth.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Crazy. Mine has not seized up again, but I've only used it once. More snow in the forecast for tonight. The guy who fixed mine says these have cheap, crappy engines in them for what that's worth.
    I haven’t used mine yet this season. Don’t even think I used it last season.

Probably going to throw a HF engine on it and try to get my money back out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These snowblowers do have cheap engines on them. The snowblower and engine are each manufactured by MTD, the engines are build in China. I've seen starter bolts fall out after several hours of use, taking the threads with them. Some of the carburetor mounting flanges were warped on early models causing vacuum leaks and endless surging (if a governed engine surges, it's lean).

There's a reason I bought an old, non running Ariens snowblower for $50 in October. It cost me less than $20 and 2 hours to fix it. It's got an old cast iron block Tecumseh engine on it. Loud, but reliable. Some of these old engines are nearly impossible to kill.
    Jeremiah

Typical of low-mid gas power products nowadays. fancy features and looks, cheapo parts, same or higher retail prices.
    Heck, snow machines are designed to take snow conditions. Usually have no air cleaner.
    A large plastic trash bag or tarp would protect engine if stored outside.

Have a Jacobsen/Tecumseh 2 cycle 17" white Sno-Blitz from late 60's. Crank broke. Still have it. Will fix someday. Drum is fine.
    A reconditioned unit with manual, 75.00. Many hours gobbling neighbor's snow, making pocket money (still in high school).
    Cleaned up, doing multiple deep snow sidewalks and drives. Shovelers had tough go, pooped out after one job. I under bid them.
    Was my pick for senior year Economics class product evaluation show and tell. Got laughs and groans from class on that.
    Was worth the 'A'. Theme was auger vs paddle. A little advanced for HS. Years later, betcha some remembered the presentation.

Have a Toro 12" electric Power Shovel from the 90's. NIB 1994, K-Mart spring clearance 30.00. A real workhorse. Throws 8'+.
    Needed minor repairs over the years. The D handle cracks. Fixed it too many times. Hmm the broken weed wacker has one....
    Have small drive and pathway to door. Lightweight, no clogs. Compact storage. Cord management is not a problem.
    Used mainly for deep snow, removing the dam snow wall plows leave at end of drive. Grinds and throws frozen chunks.
    Never had snow stop it.

The carbs have a cup that faces up so if it's outside the carb and cylinder will eventually fill with water. Turn the cup upside down or keep it dry. If you know how to clean a small engine carb you will never buy a snowblower again. They are always in the garbage, look brand new and only need the carb cleaned.
    "40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor" erratic50

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Down View Post
    The carbs have a cup that faces up so if it's outside the carb and cylinder will eventually fill with water. Turn the cup upside down or keep it dry. If you know how to clean a small engine carb you will never buy a snowblower again. They are always in the garbage, look brand new and only need the carb cleaned.
    Funny. I can relate to that way of thinking though. I had an old Montgomery Ward snowblower years ago. It was a BEAST. It was only like a 24-26" 2-stage, but it was VERY big, VERY heavy, and hard to start. Probably nothing wrong with it, but I gave it away.

There has to be a sweet spot in time where they were starting to get lighter, easier to handle, yet still had quality engines on them. I wouldn't mind staying 4-stroke too (never got used to mixing gas).

So, maybe I can still store it outside if I'm willing to do a little maintenance once in a while? Maybe I'll poke around on the thing and see if I can see this cup. Maybe I could pop out the spark plug, turn it over and blow the moisture out, and then start it up every few weeks or something. I just really don't want to have to store it in the garage. It is SO crowded in there as it is.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Brad, when it comes time to store it, look me up. I'll help you set it up for summer storage.

Run mixed gas through it near the end of the season (mixed gas in a 4 stroke won't foul plugs or cause smoking, it won't hurt anything either, it's actually good for them with todays fuel), or fog it like one would a boat motor.
    Jeremiah

The metal carb cup. Flip 180- good tip. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5MsPA2S2qSA/maxresdefault.jpg
    Vaguely remember the one on my Jake snoblower, wondering why it was like that.
    Why do mfgs use a carb intake 'cup' as a possible catch funnel into the engine rather than as a venturi 'awning'?

Many 'new' curbside lawnmowers, etc only need carb cleaning and adjusting, a primary maintenance item.
    Primer bulbs, spark plugs, oil changes/lube parts, tank cleaning, fogging, will keep them running for a long time.