Close

Default I Found My Holy Grail Movie VHS!

I'm a collector of......
    Die-cast cars
    Radios
    Cameras
    Movie Projectors
    Typewriters
    Old Photos
    Vinyl LPs
    And VHS

This is my Holy Grail of all my wanted VHS tape movies. Movies you can only get on VHS. Sure, Gone has been redone in glorious fashion. And from my 2nd photo I have just about every variation including the other 2 1/2 movies Toby made. Don't care for the remake.

Too find this original VHS of the un-restored, mono soundtrack with the original car sounds and a few songs that got cut out of the restored version, is a dream come true for me. I remember seeing this in the theater and then renting a tape like this back in 1989 when the second VHS tape release came out. Great stuff.

These have sold on E-Bay for as high as $45.......got this one at a thrift shop.....4 VHS movies for $1.98. Took me 30 years to find this tape.

PS........I'll see if I can dupe this onto a DVD.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Blog Entries

Congratulations on the acquisition! If I had time or money, I'd have a wildly varied collection of collections like that myself. One of these days... In the meantime, I'll just admire what others like you are able to do.

Way better than the remake!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did catch the end of it a couple months ago on some cable commercial channel. I'll take a copy for sure.

Congratulations on your find! That's cool. I know about the original movie (his wife still owns the rights to all things "60 seconds and Eleanor") but know nothing about different versions of the VHS movie. So I do not pretend to know anything about your tape but I just have a question. The green band that says "The original Basher" on it makes it sound like it is not what I would consider a "first release". Seems like a first release box would not say that it was the original. Again, admitting I know absolutely nothing about what I am looking at, I am merely asking if that is the case or not. Are there different boxes that are the same exact movie etc. or is this the only VHS of the original movie etc.
    Thanks and congratulations. I have a program I really like that I use to convert my VHS tapes to DVD if you don't already have one you like.

Thanks guys.

homer302,
    From my reserch this is the 3rd VHS. The first is super hard to find from 1983. The second came out in 1989 from Media and the tape runs in SP mode (2 HR), same cover as mine. The 3rd tape (mine) is from Video Treasures 1990 and runs in the cost effective LP mode (4 HR).
    My main VHS player runs through a DVD recorder unit, most tapes like this burn fine. At work I have a VHS/DVD convertor if the former does not work. All the VHS tapes are 4:3 format right from the original film elements. The cover was to remind people that the first Gone was Toby's original basher as many other copy cat films had come out since it's 74 release.

This is the only photo I have found of the first cover....and it's BETA!!!!!

Last edited by webestang; 01-27-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Congratulations on your find! That's cool. I know about the original movie (his wife still owns the rights to all things "60 seconds and Eleanor") but know nothing about different versions of the VHS movie. So I do not pretend to know anything about your tape but I just have a question. The green band that says "The original Basher" on it makes it sound like it is not what I would consider a "first release". Seems like a first release box would not say that it was the original. Again, admitting I know absolutely nothing about what I am looking at, I am merely asking if that is the case or not. Are there different boxes that are the same exact movie etc. or is this the only VHS of the original movie etc.
    Thanks and congratulations. I have a program I really like that I use to convert my VHS tapes to DVD if you don't already have one you like.
    well The car is in the Peterson Museum in LA and it still runs! The Greatest Movie ever
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
    Very cool! It's actually on Amazon Prime Video this month. Great movie!
    Here is my copy I purchased in 1984 for $60.00 ...............Its a Beta Tape!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 86capri50 View Post
    Here is my copy I purchased in 1984 for $60.00 ...............Its a Beta Tape!
    Interesting. Looks like that might be a second release on BETA. Very cool!!

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

Interesting what is out there still intact. Estate/garage sales, resale, thrift stores, ebay, curbside, forgotten in attic.
    Bet when horders get 'cleaned out', the 'legal looters' sift thru everything in the dumpster later, reselling lost 'gold'.

Always wonder how well old tapes will age and replay after being stored for years.
    Heard to entirely FF and rewind tapes occasionally, testing first for free movement.
    Had stored cassette tapes snap, thin tape layers stuck together over the years. 8 tracks for sure.
    Last edited by gr79; 01-30-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Last edited by smitty54; 01-28-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    I guess I did good finding mine for 50 cents,,,,LOL

Scotty
    Past Pony's.....

It was filmed around where I lived in so cal, the citys of Torrance, Inglewood, Hawthorne and Carson in the early 80's and just dont like how much those city's have change
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport (DD) 1986 Capri 5.0 Silver/Red
    1969 Falcon XW GTHO coupe (SOLD) went to Australia
    Past 4 eyes-
    4th. 1981 Capri "White" Black Magic I6
    3rd. 1984 Capri RS V8 Black/grey
    2nd. 1984 Capri RS V8 White/red
    1st. 1984 SVO Grey/grey (traded it for a worn out 1970 BOSS 302)
    Both '84 Capri's vin# were 10 away from each other
    U.S. NAVY 1980-2009