Close

Default 86 4cyl to v8 swap wiring

Hello everyone new guy here

I just bought an 86 coupe 4cyl car i am wanting to know what harness needs to be changed. I am going to be running a pimp xs and they’re engine harness as well. Pretty much its going to be a 351w turbo i have the engine trans rearend for the front i am going to be doing upr suspension with sn95 brakes

I do have a 91gt that i can grab parts from but i would rather not buchur up a good harness that can be used for someone else thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone?? For the engine harness i am going to use a ron francis pimp harness since i am going to be running a stinger PiMPxs

Can i make the stock gauges work? Whats the reason for needing a headlight harness??

The easy way is an 86 V8 parts car. One beyond repair or converted to carb that could supply the one year only V8 EFI harness

It sounds like you should be able to just keep your main body/headlight/front end harness and modify as needed for the Ron Francis/PiMP setup. You may need to extend, move, or delete some of the current wiring due to the change from 4 to V8 and from carb to EFI. There might be some benefits to an original V8 harness, but I don't really think so with the Ron Francis setup. At this point, I would tell you to replace all the OEM harness with a full Ron Francis fuse panel and wiring kit to make everything easier before swapping in another harness. Otherwise just make what you have work if it is in decent shape.

You should be able to make the stock gauges work with your new set up. You might have to move/extend/modify a couple of the gauge sensor wires due again to the 4 to V8 swap, but everything should be there to make it work assuming your original harness is not butchered or cut up.

I personally rewired my 79 PC many years ago with a RF wiring harness. If/when I convert to SEFI then I have a full RF Telorvek harness for that too. If for some reason you need/want an 86 V8 SEFI wiring harness I have one, just send me a PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

I went the cheap route and reworked a OEM '92 harness to work in an '80 car. Your gauges will work.