Close

Default Was there an SSP hatch?

Locally for sale is an '85 GT advertised as an SSP hatchback. I thought they were all coupes?
    Anyone know?
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

There were 4 1982 SSP Hatchbacks built for the California Highway Patrol (CHP). These are the only SSP Hatchbacks that were built during the Foxbody SSP production run.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

So this 85 hatch SSP should not exist unless an agency bought it and converted it on their own.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

FEP Super Member

Since this is fairly close to me , I read the add.
    Appears to me th seller has nothing in his ad to verify SSP status ..laugh and walk away .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    So this 85 hatch SSP should not exist unless an agency bought it and converted it on their own.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Correct!

This "85 Hatch" is NOT an "SSP Package" equipped Mustang. It may have served as a Police car for some agency however that does not make it a "SSP Mustang". Many jurisdictions confiscated Foxbody Mustangs and put them into service in many different capacities back in the day.

The City of New York had a Foxbody Hatchback Mustang in-service with the NYPD. Although not a SSP package Mustang it was a Foxbody Mustang in Police service none the less!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...48337144731234
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

FEP Senior Member

The ad reads very much like somebody told him it has a police package and he ate it up or he read that some Mustangs were used for police use and figured hot dang his car must have been one of those because it is so darn fast. As far as I know there is no such thing as a 5.0 police interceptor engine. The "Manuel" transmission sounds interesting. I usually don't name the transmissions in my car, but this guy took it upon himself to do so. Ask to see a picture of the certified calibration 140mph speedometer.
    '89 XR-7 5 Speed
    '95 SC 5 Speed
    '91 Crown Vic P72 351W
    '97 Thunderbird
    '85 Ford LTD Squire

I am not interested in buying- I am known as a four eyed nerd at work and someone brought it to my attention. My work buddy also doubted the authenticity of it.

I agree- SSP is a factory designation so regardless of what the car was used for, it can't be an SSP car. It could be a hatch that saw police duty. Of course, I didn't see any holes in the body for lights, the dash area is uncut and un holed from accessories...

I always got a kick when someone would say 'police interceptor engine' because, um, it's the same engine. Better alternator, oil cooler, etc, but the engine is the same. Interceptor was a package name.

And "interceptor" was a term never used for the Mustang SSP. That term was used for other models (e.g. Crown Victoria Police Interceptor aka CVPI) but not Mustang.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags