Close

Default Under reconstruction

Well, fortunately/unfortunately not referring to my 20th anniversary. My life is temporarily on hold so I can recover. Both knees riddled with arthritis. Left got a partial replacement on the 17th. Home the next day. Right knee to be scheduled later in the year.Attachment 125989
    Attachment 125990
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

FEP Supporter

Ugh... Here's to a speedy recovery!
    '85 GT

Man! You're not that old. Wishing you the best in recovery.

Mike

Get well soon! Thoughts about knee injuries send cold chills down my back. Mine pop outa gear really easy.
    Married to the same Mustang since 03/29/82

Here is to a speedy recovery, get well soon.
    1967 mustang coupe -sold
    1967 cougar GT - sold
    1984 Mustang L 5.0L - Totaled
    1984 Mustang GT 5.0L
    2007 Mustang GT convertible ( wifes car)
    1997 F-350 powerstroke
    USMC Retired 1981-2001

Thanx guys. 20 years as a heavy mechanic in the Navy and 12 years doing the same line of work took its toll. Both knees were bone on bone, inner knee. Plans for right knee in a few months, hopefully.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

I feel your pain buddy! I have one that is bone on bone and the other is only slightly better. Trying to put off the replacements as long as possible.

Good luck with your recovery!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanx Trey. Don't put it off too long. Could be the difference between partial and full replacement.
    conmech - aka Marshall

I hope it goes well for you!

Be very serious about evaluating each leg with your doctor.

My dad’s doctor revealed after a failed 1/2 joint replacement that had him near immobilized for a year that stuff like how bow-legged you are on a given leg is a big part of deciding the best course of action. Try as they may they never could get full range of motion out of my dad’s 1/2 replacement — not even close - and it was a big failure.

For my dad a full joint solved that problem. A lot less pain already and already better range of motion than he had 10 years ago. IMO he’s really doing great after removing the 1/2 and putting in an entire joint. I just wish I would have told the doc to do the full when he was talking about problems post op just over a year ago.

Take care.

FEP Power Member

My wife had a partial replacement. They have uyou up and walking the same day. Up and around fairly quickly but it takes 9-12 mionths for everything to settle in and readjust. I never hear much about it anymore. Good luck.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

4 week update. Doing better. Went to school 5 days after surgery. Flexibility and range of motion is doing well. At least another month before going back to work. Right knee replacement scheduled for May.
    conmech - aka Marshall

FEP Supporter

Glad you are doing well Marshall! I am going in for a hernia in two weeks At least it is a quicker recovery than a knee!

I wish they did spine replacements, I could use one. USAF Munitions, everything heavy and being stupid and "indestructible" have made being 51 feel like 80.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    I wish they did spine replacements, I could use one. USAF Munitions, everything heavy and being stupid and "indestructible" have made being 51 feel like 80.
    Lol, TOTALLY UNDERSTAND that. Try Navy SEABEES Construction Mechanic. Over 32 years doing "HEAVY" stuff. 53 going on 68.
    conmech - aka Marshall

Glad to hear you are doing well!

my dad was up within 4 hours after his full knee. He’s doing 100x better than with the partial, although there is still a lot of pain. Partial that went bad followed by a full in 13 months is a lot of trama for a leg to endure.

I hear ya on the heavy stuff. Way too many trips up ladders as a kid and young adult carrying multiple bundles of shingles and rolls of tarpaper and many 4x8 sheets of plywood doing roofs. Many miles of concrete poured and finished too — mostly by hand. Not to mention the steel beams and perlins we had to man handle at times. And the 4x12 and 4x16 bundles of drywall that were too flimsy to carry a sheet at a time and honestly way too heavy for a guy to carry around by had but we did. Plus dad didn’t believe in drywall jacks

On another note, I am down 8 pounds from the surgery date.
    conmech - aka Marshall

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by billkandi View Post
    They can replace your spine! But it won't bend. I've got some cadaver bone replacing discs, along with a metal rod and various bracketry holding the bottom of mine together.