Close

Default 351 timing chain to block face clearance close

My 351 1994 roller block I built has a custom ground Bullet cam and a Cloyes Double roller "CLO-9-3635X9" timing chain set. Also a new ford Motorsports Cam retainer. Looking at the Cam gear/chain clearance at the 10:00 o'clock Left / passenger side of the block face, the clearance is very close to a block rib. I failed to notice on this year block how close the factory cam gear was at the time of teardown. Does anyone have a minimum acceptable clearance. The cam gear does clear on complete rotation, it is just close at that one position. There should not be any cam walk that would cause it to make contact , correct??

Please advise
    Thank you much! Name:  IMG_0714.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  132.6 KBName:  IMG_0714.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  132.6 KB

I believe that the later 5.0 roller blocks are slightly different on the front main cap area which could cause the timing chain to rub on some of the double roller timing sets. Pretty sure this can be solved by doing some slight clearancing on the block with a die grinder where the chain rides.

Assuming the 5.8 roller block would be very similar...

I might have to check this on my swap as well but like poster said above some light clearancing and you should be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These probably look like two pics of the same motor but actually the first one is the 393 I had in my car in 2007 and the second is the 408 that's in it now. Notice that in both cases the timing chain clearance looks just like what you have in that one spot. I never did anything about it and have never had any problems because of it. I think you'll be fine.

408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Crank gear should be close to .900 thick

Pro comp is around 600 thick no good (cloyes should be good but worth a check also depends on what crank you have some have big radius on crank snout

This info is from Fordstrokers web video site