Close

New User

Default 1979 Mustang Turbo Scoop Hood

Does anyone know the best way to replace my hood. It got crunched years ago, and I’d like to replace it. The scoop is still good. I can’t find one online, and have kept an eye out locally.

Were these scoops just mounted on a standard hood over a cutout for the air filter? I found the hood insulation online, but no hood. Do I have to make my own? My hood looks like this guys:

Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1979 2.5L TURBO NOTCHBACK

The hood is essentially the same for the 79-82 models. The difference was with or without hood scoop. There were two hood scoops for those year models. The forward facing shorter scoop you have and the full length cowl induction like long scoop that was first on the 79 Pace Car and then the 80/81 Cobras. The hood scoop cars have the cut out in the hood in all the ones I have seen and I believe that was standard, although knowing Ford there might be an OEM scooped hood without the hole.

Unfortunately at that time, no one replicates the 79-82 hood that I am aware of. So you will need to find an original hood in good shape to work for you. Any 79-82 Mustang hood will work. You will need to drill the scoop mounting holes if the hood didn't have the scoop originally, but that is easy using a template off the original hood. You don't have to cut the large opening under the scoop unless you actual have a Turbo 4 which was done for air cleaner clearance. There are still hoods out there, but they are getting harder to find and unfortunately few what to ship them due to the size and costs. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

New User

Thanks for the info, that’s kind of the conclusion I had come to. I need to test fit my old hood, to see if I actually need the cutout.
    Last edited by speedsicks; 02-03-2019 at 04:57 PM.

FEP Supporter

Agree with Trey.

I had to replace a scoop hood after an accident and was worried I would have to modify a regular hood to put the scoop on. Luckily I found one on Kijiji in another city. Thankfully a friend of mine scooped it up for me (pun intended).

I have not put on any insulation at this time but have watched this ad on eBay for a long time for an aftermarket two piece insulation pad. I do not know anything about how it fits or the quality though.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1979-1982-MU...2:pf:0&vxp=mtr

New User

80 Cobra for sale:

My 79:

Basically if it’s just for the hood and bumper, I’m sure I can find a better starting price. Any thoughts?

New User

Default 1979 Mustang Turbo Scoop Hood

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Agree with Trey.

I had to replace a scoop hood after an accident and was worried I would have to modify a regular hood to put the scoop on. Luckily I found one on Kijiji in another city. Thankfully a friend of mine scooped it up for me (pun intended).

I have not put on any insulation at this time but have watched this ad on eBay for a long time for an aftermarket two piece insulation pad. I do not know anything about how it fits or the quality though.
    I’ve seen the insulation cheaper than that around a couple places: https://lmr.com/item/LRS-16738M-K/un...hoC5sQQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by speedsicks View Post
    80 Cobra for sale:

My 79:

Basically if it’s just for the hood and bumper, I’m sure I can find a better starting price. Any thoughts?

Nothing personal, but unless the Cobra is a complete rust bucket that would be a SHAME to part that car out. The 80/81 Cobras are getting hard to find and are seldom seen. That's one of the Four Eyed Foxes that I have not been able to add to my stable up to this point.

I have one spare 79-82 hood that needs a little TLC to be right, but nothing major. I actually live in Grand Junction, CO and that is where my hood is. I am working down in TX right now, but I would much rather help you out with a hood than see that Cobra parted out. I also have the front bumper cover and air dam if you are wanting to do the full front end conversion. Anyway, Soap Box off!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

That cobra looks like it would polish up very nicely with some elbow grease.

I had a hot wheeels car that was based upon that Cobra. Wow, what a cool car.

New User

Ya Im thinking about going to look at the cobra, and check out his stash of cars.

I don’t really have room for both cars right now, and I’m committed to this one for now...if I can make the time to work on it.

I’ll just have to find a hood elsewhere, and yes I would be interested in swapping the bumper.

This guy apparently has 13 Fox body’s for sale, mostly not running I think. Including a 93 cobra, and a few 90’s LX’s & GTs.

So I’m probably going to check for a parts car... and I’ll check out the Cobra while I’m there, just in case.

Last edited by speedsicks; 02-03-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Hmmmm 93 Cobra!

The only Aero Mustang I would like to own!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

New User

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Hmmmm 93 Cobra!

The only Aero Mustang I would like to own!
    I almost bought one when I was 16, One of the best feeling cars I’ve driven. My dad told me I’d wreck it.

Last edited by speedsicks; 02-03-2019 at 05:01 PM.

The foil hood scoop insulation for turbo pace cars and 80-81 cobra's, does it install with the foil facing the engine?
    I have looked through every thread I can find but there are no pictures showing the hood insulation with the foil in the kidney shaped cutout.
    Does anyone have an original picture with it installed?

Name:  insulation.JPG
Views: 1069
Size:  99.0 KB

Bet more than one car has been changed over to later style front end and hood because of lack of correct 79-82 year parts.
    Same for tail lights. Crash damage rather than desire to simply update or change the look.

79 forward facing scoop had foil facing 2.3T engine. Square, no tabs. V8, other year config unknown.

Most factory hood insulation pads installed in those years is long gone by now. Mine is.
    The foil backed scoop pad held up ok. The large hood pad's fiber was a road dust collector on a dd.
    Not cool when filling oil with funnel into 2.3 v/c rear oil fill location near firewall. Touch pad and dust dropped down.
    No way to clean it. The large hood pad was damaged by washing. Eventually tore and drooped.
    Later year material and construction much improved. My 93 Ranger hood pad is fine after 27 years.
    Aftermarket 2 piece hood pad with sticker cutouts is not correct for 79 but will fit i guess. Durability unknown.
    79 turbo cars also had foil backed insulation wrap around brake booster near turbocharger.
    Foil backed fiberglass house insulation works fine there, and in the scoop, as a replacement.

I finally bought the hood insulation for my car, as expected it came cut so the nice black side went against the hood and the rough fiberglass side faced out. I contacted REM the manufacturer and asked them what side they expect to be exposed. What I found out is that for 1979 cars the pads are cut so the rough side faces out as that was original, for 1980-81 cars the intent is to have the black side face out. Since mine is a 1980 I asked of they would send me a new pad with the black side out. They said they would replace for free and I had it at my door in a few days. What awesome customer service.
    They are shipped rolled so less wrinkles than the folded ones.
    I left the center piece out for now as I did not feel like taking the scoop off.

Name:  Insulation JPEG.JPG
Views: 954
Size:  104.2 KB

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 0F0 CBR View Post
    I finally bought the hood insulation for my car, as expected it came cut so the nice black side went against the hood and the rough fiberglass side faced out. I contacted REM the manufacturer and asked them what side they expect to be exposed. What I found out is that for 1979 cars the pads are cut so the rough side faces out as that was original, for 1980-81 cars the intent is to have the black side face out. Since mine is a 1980 I asked of they would send me a new pad with the black side out. They said they would replace for free and I had it at my door in a few days. What awesome customer service.
    They are shipped rolled so less wrinkles than the folded ones.
    I left the center piece out for now as I did not feel like taking the scoop off.

Name:  Insulation JPEG.JPG
Views: 954
Size:  104.2 KB
    Looks good! Can you link which product you bought from where? There seem to be a few out there but this looks nice!

Curious on the emission decal cut outs. Were both popped out? Must be a one size fits all for early years? I plan to use 79 cowl hood on our next project so think I may want one of these. The original pad with no center hole had no cut outs for the decal in it as the decal is on the valve cover.

Did the pad come with new push pins and how does the scoop pad stick to the underside of it?

I bought it on ebay from Collectors Auto Supply, I liked it as it was only 1/2" thick, some others are thicker.
    The emission decal holes were already cut out, but they send you all of the pieces, you would have to glue them in or they would fall out over time.
    It does not come with push pins.
    Not sure how the scoop pad fits in yet, I think the scoop has to come off and it gets sandwiched in between.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 0F0 CBR View Post
    I bought it on ebay from Collectors Auto Supply, I liked it as it was only 1/2" thick, some others are thicker.
    The emission decal holes were already cut out, but they send you all of the pieces, you would have to glue them in or they would fall out over time.
    It does not come with push pins.
    Not sure how the scoop pad fits in yet, I think the scoop has to come off and it gets sandwiched in between.
    Nice that is the one I've watched for a few years I may finally take the plunge. In reality I need three. I sadly tossed the one for my 82 GT one year long ago after I washed under the hood at the car wash, soaked it and it sagged and stretched...

These look nice and I see the 1/2" thick one now. For me it would really be cosmetic now. Not that I do not like the color of the underside of my hoods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!